Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2016 22:42:11(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I have approximately 16 switch decoders that were installed in 1996 versions of C track switches 24611 and 24612. I don't have the part numbers for them but I assume they are the first versions of the 74460 type. The circuit boards are imprinted 600099 Ver. 1.0 Weichendecoder.

While they activate with the correct address settings I notice that they seem to pulse the switch motors. I get a chattering sound when they trigger the switch motor in either direction rather than the solid clicking of a switch motor you get either through a K83 or a 74461. I have tested the switch motors directly and they provide the solid clicking sound when powered from a K83

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I asking for trouble by installing these in a permanent layout or do they indeed pulse the input to the switch motor and cause no real harm?

I really don't want to buy 4 more K83s or 16 x 74461 units.

Peter
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2016 12:10:17(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter,

Your decoders seem to work fine.
I would check:
- power to the decoder: if the current feeder is far away you have a voltage drop during solenoid operation.
- solenoids: the older generation switch solenoids were less powerfull and with aging of switches may lead to problems.

One simple test is to disconnect the decoder and operate the solenoid with AC at a reduced voltage (e.g.: an old marklin transformer with speed control set to medium speed)
The switch should operate very quickly and disconnect.
If it is OK then look for feeded problem or overload on your track (too many connected items for limited power).

Parallel operation of multiple switches (w. same address) may also cause problems

Cheers

Jean
Offline PMPeter  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2016 15:49:43(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,

Your decoders seem to work fine.
I would check:
- power to the decoder: if the current feeder is far away you have a voltage drop during solenoid operation.
- solenoids: the older generation switch solenoids were less powerfull and with aging of switches may lead to problems.

One simple test is to disconnect the decoder and operate the solenoid with AC at a reduced voltage (e.g.: an old marklin transformer with speed control set to medium speed)
The switch should operate very quickly and disconnect.
If it is OK then look for feeded problem or overload on your track (too many connected items for limited power).

Parallel operation of multiple switches (w. same address) may also cause problems

Cheers

Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for your response, however, it is not the solenoids or switch motors nor a voltage drop problem. As per my original message if I test the switch machine 74491 (less than a year old) directly it "clicks" just fine in either direction. If I connect it to a new series decoder 74461 it again "clicks" just fine in either direction. If I connect it to one of the old 1990s decoders it stutters to its correct position. I have tried 3 of the old style decoders and the reaction is the same for all regardless of what style switch motor I use.

I have test ports set up right next to my CS2 so the power feed to the test panel is less than 30 cm away from the power source using 16 AWG gauge wire. More than adequate.

It is obviously something unique to the old decoders. I'll try and take a video and see if the sound difference can be heard clearly.

Cheers
Peter
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2016 00:51:39(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter

Sorry I misunderstood your problem.
I am using some of these early embedded switch decoders with a CS2 (overall approx. 50 switches with at least 25 old decoders). They give no problem.
What is your digital unit?
I would check the duration of the pulse (on the CS2 you can choose 300 up to 500 ms) and the signal format. The new ones can also DCC while the old ones were MM only. With a unit like the CS2, make sure you select only the formats you use (In my case MM + MFX).
Cheers

Jean
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#5 Posted : 11 April 2016 01:19:41(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi,
It's been a very long time since I've used those decoders but I don't remember noticing such problem.
Initially my first thought was as well you had high resistance on a long cable but now that you say it happens next to the CS leaves me wondering. If it happens to all of them yes, change the duration of the pulse and see what happens. I know you don't want to spend but unless you solve the issue I would think twice about placing them in a permanent set up as you know how hard it can be to change something once is embedded in scenery. Although I find it unlikely that all of them are faulty.
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 11 April 2016 06:36:02(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep, all mine failed (some would still pulse one way if you manually switch the other)
Quote:
Am I asking for trouble by installing these in a permanent layout ...

Yep
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 15 April 2016 20:03:40(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone else noticed this?

Yep, all mine failed (some would still pulse one way if you manually switch the other)
Quote:
Am I asking for trouble by installing these in a permanent layout ...

Yep

You are correct and I have just encountered the same thing. I experimented on 2 switches. First I shorted out the micro switches in the switch motors to ensure that was not the problem. Then I tested the old style decoder with the switch machine before installing into the actual C track switch. Got the same pulsing noise in both directions, but it worked. I then installed the assembly in to the C track switch and it worked in both directions with the pulsing sound but very weak in the straight setting. After 4 or 5 tries it consistently switched to the turnout position but not the straight position. I removed the decoder and connected the optional yellow-blue-blue connector cable to the same switch and a K83 output. Works consistently each time in either direction.

So obviously there is something different about these 20 year old decoders as to how they provide an output to the switch machine.

Therefore, you are correct that I would be asking for problems on a permanent layout.

Peter
Offline NZMarklinist  
#8 Posted : 16 April 2016 06:24:57(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I have approximately 16 switch decoders that were installed in 1996 versions of C track switches 24611 and 24612. I don't have the part numbers for them but I assume they are the first versions of the 74460 type. The circuit boards are imprinted 600099 Ver. 1.0 Weichendecoder.

While they activate with the correct address settings I notice that they seem to pulse the switch motors. I get a chattering sound when they trigger the switch motor in either direction rather than the solid clicking of a switch motor you get either through a K83 or a 74461. I have tested the switch motors directly and they provide the solid clicking sound when powered from a K83

Has anyone else noticed this? Am I asking for trouble by installing these in a permanent layout or do they indeed pulse the input to the switch motor and cause no real harm?

I really don't want to buy 4 more K83s or 16 x 74461 units.

Peter

Hi Peter, you would be very well advised to buy 4 K83s for a permanent layout. The undertrack decoders were not really intended for a permanent layout.

For Value and ease of programming have a look at Viessmann 5211
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2016 04:07:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I just bought a CS 2 in December and all of my turnouts have old '90's decoders with dip switches and they are working perfectly. The only thing I had to do was to increase the duration of the pulse to something like 350-400 ms to get clean, reliable operation.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline clapcott  
#10 Posted : 17 April 2016 07:33:17(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I believe the phrases

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
... are working perfectly.
and
Quote:
.. only ... had to ... increase the duration of the pulse to something like 350-400 ms ...

are conflicting statements

Peter
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 17 April 2016 08:26:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
I believe the phrases

... are working perfectly.
and
Quote:
.. only ... had to ... increase the duration of the pulse to something like 350-400 ms ...

are conflicting statements

I take it as "Working perfectly since the settings have been changed."
No conflict, but the information that it didn't work perfectly with the default settings.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 17 April 2016 13:31:20(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
No conflict, but the information that it didn't work perfectly with the default settings.

Correct. They did not work 100% reliably with the default pulse duration, but they do now with the longer settings. Sorry if that was not clear.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline PMPeter  
#13 Posted : 17 April 2016 16:25:50(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   

Correct. They did not work 100% reliably with the default pulse duration, but they do now with the longer settings. Sorry if that was not clear.

Default setting is 200 ms, so doubling that to 400 ms makes me wonder how long the switch motor will last?
Offline dickinsonj  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2016 16:50:30(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Default setting is 200 ms, so doubling that to 400 ms makes me wonder how long the switch motor will last?

I didn't just pull that setting out of the air - it was suggested for turnouts in some Marklin literature, but I don't remember where. With that duration they sound like they operate just as they do when connected to my K83 units. A nice clean click and no prolonged activation that I can detect.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this. I was just passing along what for me was a simple adjustment to make the old decoders work well with the CS2.
Regards,
Jim

Offline NZMarklinist  
#15 Posted : 17 April 2016 17:09:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

'wonder how long the switch motor will last?'

Exactly.

I've seen this discussion about undertrack decoders on the Marklin B&G, lots of times before. I use them myself on my table top, C Track test track, to save untidy wiring

However, I would not consider using them on a permanent layout where I would be screwing the track down and embedding it with ballast.

They will have a small second hand value, and then spend approx. 20 euro on say Viessmann K83s to operate four turnouts. This seems like piece of mind rather than years of frustration. All old electronic stuff these days is suspect, doesn't matter what it is. I bought three of mine ex starter sets and two used off Trade me, all OK so far but they are all approx. 2010 ish vintage

I have a few 5211 Viessmann which I use on my modules, which is the spec for the modules, because of the external power supply option and external programming ability, and I used to use them on the table top, test layout, but got sick of the wiring when I wanted to change the little layout around, but again they're not for a permanent layout, and IMHO, any body using the undertrack decoders for a permanent layout, is on a hiding to nowhere !

There is a saviour for their use, by cutting a hole in the base board, to the almost size of the turnout, under the turnout that allows access to the decoder and the switch motor, but you need to be sure it is the exact final position of that turnout ! Scared

Just btw; a hole allowing access to C Track switch motors is also a necessity on a permanent layout
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 17 April 2016 17:18:15(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Exactly.

I've seen this discussion about undertrack decoders on the Marklin B&G, lots of times before. I use them myself on my table top, C Track test track, to save untidy wiring

However, I would not consider using them on a permanent layout where I would be screwing the track down and embedding it with ballast.

They will have a small second hand value, and then spend approx. 20 euro on say Viessmann K83s to operate four turnouts. This seems like piece of mind rather than years of frustration. All old electronic stuff these days is suspect, doesn't matter what it is. I bought three of mine ex starter sets and two used off Trade me, all OK so far but they are all approx. 2010 ish vintage

I have a few 5211 Viessmann which I use on my modules, which is the spec for the modules, because of the external power supply option and external programming ability, and I used to use them on the table top, test layout, but got sick of the wiring when I wanted to change the little layout around, but again they're not for a permanent layout, and IMHO, any body using the undertrack decoders for a permanent layout, is on a hiding to nowhere !

There is a saviour for their use, by cutting a hole in the base board, to the almost size of the turnout, under the turnout that allows access to the decoder and the switch motor, but you need to be sure it is the exact final position of that turnout ! Scared

Just btw; a hole allowing access to C Track switch motors is also a necessity on a permanent layout

Makes me wish I never heard of C track and just stayed with K track. At least with K track and the removable switch motors they can be fixed even after scenery has been put in place without ripping up a lot of track or cutting gapping holes into the baseboard structure.

Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 17 April 2016 17:35:16(UTC)
H0

There can be no problem as long as the cut-off switches are not bridged.

How hot can the turnout motors get in 0.4 seconds? So hot that it leads to self destruction?

Can they survive if a child presses the button on the switch panel for 1000 ms or even more?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#18 Posted : 17 April 2016 17:41:13(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
There can be no problem as long as the cut-off switches are not bridged.

How hot can the turnout motors get in 0.4 seconds? So hot that it leads to self destruction?

Can they survive if a child presses the button on the switch panel for 1000 ms or even more?

As I have already stated the cut-off switches have been shorted. These definitely fail as we have heard on numerous forum postings. so that is the first thing I do, whether new or old before I put them into a C track turnout.