Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2016 08:05:15(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

I got a bunch of turnout motors sent to me from a guy in Sweden, saying they fail in one direction.
His system is digital and uses K83 and m83 decoders. He found out that the problem is overcome by operating the motors a few time by hand and/or on AC. After some time the problem comes back though.

I have made investigations, read a number of different posts in various forums and found that the Micro switches inside the motor is the problem.
This problem and the solution to bypass the switches seems to be well known. I anyway felt the need to make a short video tutorial describing the problem and the solution/fix.

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2016 12:02:15(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Nice and clear!

You are right; About time somebody made a good documentation of this old problem and its supposedly "commonly known solution". Commonly known only to those who already know it (as in "old farts"). News to all newcomers!

Love your vids!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2016 12:48:38(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thank you Martin - again!

Ironic that I wrote on this forum last week I was having the very same problem which then developed into a simple problem with a Viessmann 5211 which was fixed by Fabrice reminding me of the operating procedure! I thought by a good few jolts directly through the trafo outlets I had solved my problem but then it came back again just last night. Now your tutorial has solved my problem again very timely!

If I had the video camera handy I could have made you all my tutorial on "How NOT to solder when your older"
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2016 21:28:21(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Hello Martin,
nice video, I created a similar one two month ago, look here:

Moritz
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2016 09:49:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I am in the process of bridging the limit switches on my new 75491's and must decide whether or not to remove the switches.

It seems removing the switches gives greater power (helpful if using turnout lanterns and underboard kits) but makes them a bit noisier.

I bridged one each way, just depends whether the motors need that extra oomph or not I guess - I don't think the extra noise will be noticeable.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2016 16:13:13(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I am in the process of bridging the limit switches on my new 75491's and must decide whether or not to remove the switches.

It seems removing the switches gives greater power (helpful if using turnout lanterns and underboard kits) but makes them a bit noisier.

I bridged one each way, just depends whether the motors need that extra oomph or not I guess - I don't think the extra noise will be noticeable.

I tried this and ended up putting the shorted out switches back in. If you remove the micro switches the small amount of resistance they provide keeps the points in the correct position. Removing them loses that resistance and I found the points would not stay in one position or the other.

Peter
Offline applor  
#7 Posted : 15 June 2016 00:46:52(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi Peter and thanks for the reply.

That was something else of concern though I did not mention it because when I tested it seemed the switch held in place OK.

After hearing of your experience though I will play it safe and leave them in!
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany