Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dickinsonj  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2016 15:22:57(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have noticed that these have begun to appear at some dealers now and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has one yet and what their impressions are.

I could be interested in this railcar set but I would like to hear some actual owner's impressions before I decide just how interested I really am.

Thanks,

Jim
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2016 15:36:27(UTC)
H0

Hi, Jim,

I don't have that train.

It's less irritating if you put all relevant information in the "Subject" field as many users will miss the information in the "Description" field. You can edit your post #1 in this thread.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2016 15:47:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

It's less irritating if you put all relevant information in the "Subject" field as many users will miss the information in the "Description" field. You can edit your post #1 in this thread.

I changed it - thanks for the suggestion Tom.

All forums seem to have their own conventions and I am (obviously) still learning the ones here.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2016 15:56:50(UTC)
H0

It's not a convention. In the "Recent Active Discussions" list, only the subject can be seen. Then I use "Go to first unread post" and it shows post #1, but the description is off the screen.
I dunno how many folks use the forum like I do, but I think many will miss the ref. number shown in the description.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2016 16:42:33(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
It's not a convention. In the "Recent Active Discussions" list, only the subject can be seen. Then I use "Go to first unread post" and it shows post #1, but the description is off the screen.
I dunno how many folks use the forum like I do, but I think many will miss the ref. number shown in the description.

Yeah - that is helpful. I just look at the forums of interest and I see both subject and description, so I never considered how a thread would appear when viewing it the way you do.

Bottom line is that it would be nice to get some actual owner input on this interesting new item, since Marklin now obscures many of the details that are of the most interest to serious collectors.

Regards,
Jim

Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2016 18:33:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, mine arrived Last week, what can I say? Just can't wait to the add on to be released!!!! Full casted metal, with that old classic feel. Both ends motorized with reliable DCM engines, good sounds, it is quite something to see it roll. Perhaps I miss cab lights and an included engineer, and you have to be very careful when doing the coupling, connectors may brake with some ease. I don't think you can be disappointed in any way if you buy it.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2016 20:36:39(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
The VT11.5 is one of my favorites. I have the first gen with some upgrades.
https://www.marklin-user...read-Dual-sound-decoders
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 31 March 2016 21:45:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hello, mine arrived Last week, what can I say? Just can't wait to the add on to be released!!!! Full casted metal, with that old classic feel. Both ends motorized with reliable DCM engines, good sounds, it is quite something to see it roll. Perhaps I miss cab lights and an included engineer, and you have to be very careful when doing the coupling, connectors may brake with some ease. I don't think you can be disappointed in any way if you buy it.
Regards

Wow - thanks for your great response - that was really helpful!

I assumed that the close coupling connectors might be an issue from the description - the multiple conductor bit sounds tricky. I have a California Zephyr that I love - all except for the flimsy current conducting couplers. But the close coupling between cars in the pictures that I have seen looks really, really good. My CZ also two DCM motors and it runs very nicely.

Also, your comment about the metal castings, that old classic feel and how it rolls are exactly what I was hoping to hear. Your comment about not being disappointed in any way is really helpful too!

I agree that if I get one it will be a long wait for the add on cars to be released! Second quarter of this year though, so maybe only 3 months to go.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 31 March 2016 22:05:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
https://www.marklin-user...read-Dual-sound-decoders

Nice input on the first gen VT11.5 Matt and I am very impressed with your upgrades.

I have a Big Boy with the old FX decoders and I have some issues with them now that I am using a CS2. Unfortunately what you did is currently beyond my skill set but some day I need to think about doing that, as the Big Boy will always be a favorite of mine.

No one is giving me any reason to not think really hard about the new VT11.5.

So many trains and so little time!
Regards,
Jim

Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#10 Posted : 31 March 2016 23:06:06(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I don't know about that one but I have the old 37606 and I am very pleased in all aspects.

Edited by user 03 April 2016 04:13:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Armando  
#11 Posted : 01 April 2016 01:04:12(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Regards

¡Hola Francisco!

I have previous versions of the VT11.5 and I concur with your comments. BigGrin

In the current issue of the Märklin Magazin there is an article about this model. Somehow it hints at the possibility of being able to control the lights in the table lamps in the dining car (independently?) from the car's interior lighting. I don't think that this is so, am I right?

I do deplore the fact, however, that Märklin have not yet resolved the issue of fitting this (and all previous models) with interior lighting in the front and end units and in the engineers' cabins.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 01 April 2016 02:21:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I guess I didn't expect lights in the cabs in the end units since they always call that feature out when it is there. But I expected lighting in the rear compartments of those units.

Edited by user 02 April 2016 16:46:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline foumaro  
#13 Posted : 01 April 2016 04:41:52(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have the 37609,the metal version,similar to the 37605.Buy the train,is one of the best models marklin ever made.ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 01 April 2016 08:43:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
I do deplore the fact, however, that Märklin have not yet resolved the issue of fitting this (and all previous models) with interior lighting in the front and end units and in the engineers' cabins.
Expectations were high as a drawing in the new items brochure showed lights there.
It seems there are neither improvements nor regressions over the Mediolanum model of this trains.
No regression is good news nowadays.

It is a pity that the compartments in the powered rail cars are not lit - people want that for a long time and the catalogue picture suggested it was coming. Cab lights and machine room lights are a different matter - nice possible extras.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 01 April 2016 13:53:07(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Great info everyone - in just one day I have learned quite a lot about this model and its predessors. I was away from Marklin for a while and this helps fill in my gaps from that time.

It all sounds very good to me so far, and I am seriously considering this model. The lighting in the end units is a small disappointment but not a deal breaker. Adding the compartment area lighting would seem like something that could be easily done and I wonder why Marklin didn't do that. Of course cab and machine room lighting would be even nicer.

But I do agree Tom - no regression is a very good thing in today's market place. I would really like to see Marklin prosper and if these are the kinds of things that make that happen, then I am fine with that.

Regards,
Jim

Offline NZMarklinist  
#16 Posted : 01 April 2016 16:29:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
If you are into ERA III then this (37604) is the one to go for. Some De dealers still have them and maybe cheaper than ebay as they will usually deduct the Mwst or VAT It is temporarily not available from M (RRP 799.99 euro incl Mwst), so a preorder from a dealer showing a reasonable price on their website might be a good strategy

I have the 37605 and it is a lovely model, but it is unique in that it has ball bearings on the DCM armature (rotor) shafts, a nice touch, and since it doesn't make a sound (except for the excellent, for the day, synthetic diesel engine noises and a few others ), I have never considered oiling it, even the gear train. Altho I have owned it for 10 years but not run it for about 5 now, Blushing
Love the model as I do, I also got 37606 gas turbine model back in 2005, it almost runs as silently as the diesel version mechanically
Like the first version, it seems this new one has bronze or brass bearings on the power bogie axles, which is always a good start for a smooth running M model.

The couplings are reasonably robust and very easy to connect and take apart, but hold well and work well in extreme "S curve" on parallel turnout situations. Just be gentle with them !

I agree with others comments on the lighting, or lack of it, in the area at the rear of the power cars, it could be easily implemented, especially as they have changed the lighting to LEDs now
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 01 April 2016 22:50:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

The couplings are reasonably robust and very easy to connect and take apart, but hold well and work well in extreme "S curve" on parallel turnout situations. Just be gentle with them !

I agree with others comments on the lighting, or lack of it, in the area at the rear of the power cars, it could be easily implemented, especially as they have changed the lighting to LEDs now

Thanks for the summary of the earlier models of this train, which helps put this all into perspective for me. I have almost no Era III items so it really seems like I should fix that. The ball bearings in the motor would have been nice, but de-contenting things seems to be the wave of the future unfortunately.

Good to hear that the couplings sound very workable and I'm sure that being gentle with them is great advice. On the Marklin youTube video you can see really good images of the very nice close coupling. Impressive! I was also thinking that it should be a pretty easy upgrade to add that lighting in the power cars since the other lights are LEDs.

All of the feedback on this set not only sounds very positive but also leads me to think that I would love this model. I almost have myself convinced to place an order on the 37604, even though I really planned to take a break from buying more train things for a while. The feedback on the forum has been a great help - it is so nice to be able to tap into so much Marklin knowledge.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#18 Posted : 03 April 2016 01:27:58(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I don't think you can be disappointed in any way if you buy it.
Regards

Well, first we started with Francisco's great review and then many of you added some really helpful insights about this model in its past iterations. Several people assured me that it left nothing to be desired, which is what I hoped to hear when I started this thread. Small details, like perhaps someday adding some interior LEDs to the power car will be fun upgrades. To me it seems like a great opportunity to own a classic, real metal Marklin at a decent price.

You were so helpful in fact, that when my primary dealer suddenly got his first one in this week I bought it before someone else could. BigGrin And I based a lot of my decision on the great input here. Thanks guys -I believe that I am going to love it!

I'll post some impressions and hopefully some images when I have it.

Soon I will be in the same boat as Francisco - waiting for that three car add on set - it feels like Christmas is here way, way early this year!

Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 03 April 2016 02:32:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
although I haven't got any of the models described in the above topic it was interesting stuff to read and follow Matt's conversions etc etc.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline jsnoddy  
#20 Posted : 03 April 2016 06:40:54(UTC)
jsnoddy

United States   
I have yet to hear of anyone in the US receiving theirs yet. I've had one on pre-order for some time and am getting impatient. I have the add-on set on pre-order as well. I'm big into era III and can't wait to add this train. Once mine arrives, I'll be happy to comment further. Did I mention I'm getting impatient?
Offline dickinsonj  
#21 Posted : 03 April 2016 19:54:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jsnoddy Go to Quoted Post
I have yet to hear of anyone in the US receiving theirs yet. I've had one on pre-order for some time and am getting impatient. I have the add-on set on pre-order as well. I'm big into era III and can't wait to add this train. Once mine arrives, I'll be happy to comment further. Did I mention I'm getting impatient?

Mine is coming from a dealer in Canada and he emailed me yesterday confirming that it will ship sometime next week.

I did not do a pre-order because I only decided to get it less than a week ago, based upon feedback in this thread. Soon I will need to pre-order the three car add-on set.

Mine was only ordered two days ago and I am already impatient to get it! BigGrin

Edited by user 04 April 2016 15:38:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

Offline Token  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2016 11:01:02(UTC)
Token

Australia   
I concur with all re 1st gen version, 37605. Mine actualy rekindled my love of Marklin and formed the basis of my collection todate. Agree with the point re connections howev re you can obtain spares/replacements with relative ease so not a huge issue.

Just the best model ever produced IMHO.

Cheers,

Michael.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Token
Offline dickinsonj  
#23 Posted : 05 April 2016 03:51:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Did I mention I'm getting impatient?

Don't know if this makes it harder or easier to wait, but here is a nice video of the 37604 in action.
#t=71.884422
Regards,
Jim

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline biedmatt  
#24 Posted : 05 April 2016 14:14:42(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Be careful Jim, triebwagens are addictive and cause sever wallet and liver damage. Do not Google "Marklin 39100".
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline xxup  
#25 Posted : 05 April 2016 14:41:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yes.. The flickering station lights are actually sending you a ultra-high speed subliminal message.. "buy me.. buy me.." Scared
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline dickinsonj  
#26 Posted : 05 April 2016 15:00:09(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Be careful Jim, triebwagens are addictive and cause sever wallet and liver damage. Do not Google "Marklin 39100".

Of course I would never consider doing that - well, maybe I might - and it is very pretty! BigGrin Luckily I have enough wallet damage for the moment, having just added 9 cars to my Big Boy consist and 4 coaches to my locomotive pulled TEE.
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Yes.. The flickering station lights are actually sending you a ultra-high speed subliminal message.. "buy me.. buy me.." Scared
Wow - you may be right - and it worked on me before I even saw the video! My official version is that I had nothing to do with this purchase and it was caused by the people here with all of the high praise for this railcar set! I suspect that my wife sees through this though, as I am a known Marklin addict. Cool

Jim

Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Armando  
#27 Posted : 06 April 2016 04:35:33(UTC)
Armando

United States   
How much more technically difficult could it have been, in this modern era of technology, to add the interior lighting to both end units and to the engineer's cabins?

I guess one has a right to wonder....Confused

Hopefully, a subsequent reissue of this model will have that, and maybe also operational fans?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 06 April 2016 07:52:21(UTC)
H0

How much more technically difficult could it have been, in this modern era of technology, to add the interior lighting to both end units and to the engineer's cabins?
How much would it cost to add ball bearings to the motors again? How much would it cost to properly remove the grates from the cog wheels to reduce gear noise?
How much would it cost to give each train an observed test run?

At some point they added cab lights to BR 103 because it is not that expensive nowadays and it looks good in the features list.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#29 Posted : 06 April 2016 16:46:08(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
How much would it cost to add ball bearings to the motors again? How much would it cost to properly remove the grates from the cog wheels to reduce gear noise? How much would it cost to give each train an observed test run?

I agree, Tom. We would all like to see as many features as possible but Marklin has to make enough money selling these to remain solvent - something that they failed to do in the past.

It seems to me that adding the interior lights in the motor units would be fairly simple, since they could just be added to the wiring for the interior lights in the rest of the train. Not sure how that wiring is laid out though, but I will check into that when I get mine. That seems like such an easy upgrade that I am surprised they did not do that.

I was also wondering if I could add a simple decoder that just does four functions, although I don't know if they exist. That way you could (using a separate address) add cab lights, engine room lights and maybe even power the fans. I also wondered if it is possible to retro-fit the ball bearing motor sometime in the future if it appears to be needed.

Maybe the best path forward for those of us who want all the bells and whistles is to let Marklin sell them in whatever configuration they will. Then we can explore upgrading and customizing them to get them exactly where we want them to be. Matt (biedmatt) did an amazing upgrade on his older VT 11.5 - I don't see why we couldn't make similar upgrades to add the features we wish Marklin had included in the 37604. I don't expect that future iterations will have our dream list of features - it might be up to us to make that happen. Cool

Jim
Regards,
Jim

Offline Mark_1602  
#30 Posted : 07 April 2016 19:47:52(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
How much would it cost to add ball bearings to the motors again? How much would it cost to properly remove the grates from the cog wheels to reduce gear noise?
How much would it cost to give each train an observed test run?

At some point they added cab lights to BR 103 because it is not that expensive nowadays and it looks good in the features list.

How much would it have cost to model the steps leading to the sand box on the boiler of the new BR 01.5 and avoid 2-3 other mistakes? Not that much, I suppose, but cutting corners at the expense of the customers probably allows Märklin to pay off the debts that the company had accumulated before the insolvency and make some badly needed investments. Unfortunately, customers don't seem to benefit that much from all the money that's been invested in the last six years. Models like the VT 11.5 or the BR 01.5 are really nice-looking, but I won't buy either because I don't approve of that policy.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline dickinsonj  
#31 Posted : 10 April 2016 01:33:51(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
I concur with all re 1st gen version, 37605. Mine actualy rekindled my love of Marklin and formed the basis of my collection todate.
Just the best model ever produced IMHO.
Cheers,
Michael.

Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I have the 37609,the metal version,similar to the 37605.Buy the train,is one of the best models marklin ever made.ThumpUp

Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
I don't know about that one but I have the old 37606 and I am very pleased in all aspects.

Regards

Thank you everyone. My 37604 arrived today and wow - I mean WOW - It is a sight to behold! Cool

I learned what I needed to know about buying this railcar set in just two days from this thread. When I posted I was not even aware of the earlier models and that there was a solid background on the quality of this set. I had not been collecting Marklin models for almost 15 years, so I had never seen the VT 11.5 before the 2016 new product announcements. Thanks once again to everyone who gave me encouragement and shared your knowledge of the brand. BigGrin

Francisco nailed his review. I am not disappointed in any way. It definitely has that old, cast metal, classic feel enhanced by being powered with DCM units in each power car. I am a big fan of my other DCM powered engines and with the newest electronics these run very nicely indeed. Compared with my California Zephyr I find the current conducting connectors to be pretty easy to use, and you have to love those very nice diaphragms and close coupling between coaches. Just like Francisco I find it quite a sight to see it roll - all that metal pulled by that solid DCM power - truly special. I am also now hoping for the other three cars to arrive as soon as possible.

I have been buying Marklins for over 25 years, which I know is short for some forum members. But the features, quality of materials, level of attention to detail combined with the beautiful build quality, make this set really stand out for me. If Marklin can produce this railcar set, at this level of quality, for a reasonable cost, I say it is doing just fine in 2016.

I am so glad to have been able to add this beauty to my roster! I have a few other very nice models and the VT 11.5 now sits right up there with the best! Someone said that if you are into Era III you really needed this model. That is true. But I would further say that anyone who is into high quality, beautiful, special editions should have one of these!

Edited by user 13 April 2016 02:06:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards,
Jim

thanks 8 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline franciscohg  
#32 Posted : 19 April 2016 15:46:06(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Add-on set shipped today from my dealer in GermanyDrool Drool Drool
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline dickinsonj  
#33 Posted : 19 April 2016 17:13:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

Cool - that is very good to know. Maybe I won't be waiting as long for mine as I had expected. Cool

The longer I have the VT 11.5 the more I love it. It turns out that I really don't care about the power unit lighting or other minor details. The quality and beauty of this set makes it exceptional for me. Last Saturday I had mine for just one week and it seemed like it had been much longer, I guess because I have run it and looked at it so much!
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#34 Posted : 19 April 2016 22:37:38(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I don't see any reason (other than cost) that you could not add more than one expansion set to this train. I am wondering if anyone else has ever done that with the earlier editions and if there any technical reasons that would prevent adding another three cars.

I think that it will look very nice with the five coaches but I have seen several videos of the real TEE running with eight coaches and wondered if that was an option for us.

Regards,
Jim

Offline foumaro  
#35 Posted : 20 April 2016 08:41:30(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I don't see any reason (other than cost) that you could not add more than one expansion set to this train. I am wondering if anyone else has ever done that with the earlier editions and if there any technical reasons that would prevent adding another three cars.

I think that it will look very nice with the five coaches but I have seen several videos of the real TEE running with eight coaches and wondered if that was an option for us.

The train is very heavy,three metal cars more will be problem for the two motors,just my opinion.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline dickinsonj  
#36 Posted : 20 April 2016 13:30:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
The train is very heavy,three metal cars more will be problem for the two motors,just my opinion.

I agree and that would be my biggest concern because it would be a very heavy train with the extra coaches.

It will be glorious with five coaches, just as it is with only two. I was just wondering if anyone had attempted doing that.
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#37 Posted : 17 May 2016 03:28:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I wanted to post an update, since my add on set of three coaches arrived today and my VT 11.5 is now complete.

That makes just a perfect size railcar set and it looks really wonderful. I am still loving to watch it run and even more so now with the full 5 coaches. I also am enjoying the very nice sounds and of course that amazing cast metal construction. This is a true piece of railroad art IMO and I have no second thoughts about buying it at all.

The information in the add on set said that while technically it can support up to 8 coaches, that Marklin recommends just the 5 to avoid overloading the electronics or the power units. So there is an "official" Marklin answer on that question.

What a great addition to my layout. This set will be one of the stars of my roster for a very long time to come!

Regards,

Jim

Regards,
Jim

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline franciscohg  
#38 Posted : 17 May 2016 04:27:51(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Mine arrived last week.....Woot
Offline grnwtrs  
#39 Posted : 17 May 2016 06:10:36(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
I passed on my original order for the VT 11.5, since I had already spent my little monies for April, after my credit card closing (billing) got notification that the add-on set was available
for me. When I checked the availability of the master (37604) found it was also ready to be shipped.

So, I ordered both units along with a batch of Eurofima cars, misc DB coaches, etc.

I have gotten both sets now, but have yet to put them on the carpetbahn. Or for that matter on the program track.

They sure look impressive, somewhat like the 39700 set, but much more impressive.

I also noted that there was a reference to adding an additional set, but that was not recommended. That has given
me the urge to order an additional set.

Just thinkin

regards, gene
Offline jsnoddy  
#40 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:16:14(UTC)
jsnoddy

United States   
I now have the full set, with the three car expansion set arriving last Friday. My initial reaction is the same as everyone else: a beautiful train! However one caveat: it isn't very M-track friendly. I've had quite a few derailing incidents and it refuses to navigate my 5215 crossings. Also, you really need to watch inclines. I have some 4% slopes and it really slows down on the way up. I think those heavy cars are taking their toll. I'm going to swap out the 5215 for 5207s and see if that helps. I'm in the early stages of building my layout, so logistically, it wouldn't be too hard to swap out the M track for K or C, but with nearly 200 feet of track and 2 dozen turnouts, it would be a very expensive proposition!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jsnoddy
Offline xxup  
#41 Posted : 15 June 2016 23:56:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
... it isn't very M-track friendly...

Scared Yikes.. That is not good news.. If possible, please let us know the outcome as I have a couple of 5207s on my layout.. I was hoping to pick up one of these once I clear the excess Marklin in my collection..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Armando  
#42 Posted : 14 July 2016 05:24:22(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi,
Can anyone positively confirm if this new VT 11.5 (37604) comes with ball bearings, same as 37605?
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#43 Posted : 14 July 2016 08:08:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Can anyone positively confirm if this new VT 11.5 (37604) comes with ball bearings, same as 37605?
To the best of my knowledge, none of the VT 11.5 that came after the 37605 had ball bearings.

It would be a big surprise to see ball bearings with the 37604.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#44 Posted : 14 July 2016 10:41:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi!
To the best of my knowledge, none of the VT 11.5 that came after the 37605 had ball bearings.

It would be a big surprise to see ball bearings with the 37604.

looking at the history, Märklin tried several times to overcome the problem they had with the armature shaft and either its brush plate or the motor block which had a different metal and hence caused the e any improvements and we may see the disappearance of 3 or 5 pole motors completely from the AC series and finish up only with DC motors.

the motors haven't been improved since the 70's except the 5 pole motor had an update, leaving the brush plate as it is and changing the magnet.

I can't see Märklin improving the brush plate or adding ball bearings, not in my lifetime

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dickinsonj  
#45 Posted : 14 July 2016 13:11:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Hi,

I can confirm that the 37604 does not come with ball bearings. That is something you would have to do yourself if it is important to you.

I agree with John, this is probably the DCM motor configuration for the ages.
Regards,
Jim