Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2016 02:47:13(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd share a tip for a brilliant solution I've discovered to store the trains. Its GREAT GREAT GREAT! Hats off to a fellow forum member for the advice. Anyhow, onto what they are:

Auhagen makes some absolutely lovely storage boxes for HO scale trains without box. they are available in 3-4 lengths, and ship flat for simple folding together. Included is styrofoam lining for padding. Cost is $2-3US per box. The ends are blank for labeling. Simply brilliant- these are totally undermarketed. I ended up buying one for every unboxed locomotive and full size passenger car I have, and the collection has never been so well organized.

images below- enjoy!

IMG_4342.JPGIMG_4339.JPGIMG_4340.JPG
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2016 02:52:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
ooooooohhhh yeeeeaassss..

I need one of these for a railcar I bought.. Do you have a website with the details?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ausipeet  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2016 03:06:39(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
can not find them on their homepage. PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2016 03:22:19(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Because I'd seen these before online somewhere, I had a quick poke around the Auhagen site and found this ;

http://www.auhagen-karto...sitenkartenbox_1136.html
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2016 03:28:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Do you have a website with the details?

I've been aware of the Au Boxes for some time - I think they have been mentioned in previous threads.

The Lokshop sell them.

Search for

Auhagen 99301 Aubox 150x60x50 10Stk.
Auhagen 99302 Aubox 230x60x50 10Stk.
Auhagen 99303 Aubox 300x60x50 10Stk.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2016 17:29:05(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
For those in the USA, I bought mine from http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/ , shipping may be much cheaper than from europe, and they were in stock. My first order from this store, I was pleased with the service
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 11 March 2016 18:57:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

I'm not a friend of storage in foamed plastic. I own a number of models which were destroyed by dissolving foamed plastic. Things that happen:

http://www.roundhouse.ch...ho/Umbau_Bm-66-Friho.htm

BTW: If you own earlier multi-part Märklin F7 like the A-B-A Amtrak. Check the foam-parts. They already become sticky. Or the "Silberpfeile" sold by Mercedes in 1986. If they have been in the box, they are covered with with a sticky mass of dissolved foam which already attacked the varnish.

UserPostedImage

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 11 March 2016 19:23:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
I own a number of models which were destroyed by dissolving foamed plastic.
HAG locos come in plastic bags that prevent foam contact.
I hope that bags that are suitable to freeze food are also safe for locos.

On this forum we saw pictures of Märklin coaches that got damaged while stored in the original styrofoam boxes.
And we also saw pictures of items that suffered from sunlight.

Back to topic: we don't know how good the Auhagen foam is. Adding a plastic bag when using those boxes for long-term storage cannot harm IMHO - if the bag is long-term quality.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline thomas buckley  
#9 Posted : 11 March 2016 19:40:38(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
dissolving foam rubber, YIKES. Are there any problems like that from the tiny bubble bubble wrap? It seems to work well, so far.
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 11 March 2016 23:12:50(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Ive had the grey looking open cell foam, that looks like the Aughagen foam - though it isn't verifiable without knowing the exact syntetic used in both foams... my foam sheets have lasted for decades with the only effect being that there is dust on it if it was open to the world. Its the type of foam that is modular or cut-able in camera cases (such as Pelican cases). I'd have no worries about that sort of foam; it is typically stiffer.

If the foam is very flexible and soft - that foam I would absolutely be worried about. My guess is its the flex/softening agents added . Thats the sort of foam used in car ventilation systems as seals, or similar applications - that foam seems to begin to break down after 7 years or so and becomes a sticky mess that disintegrates like goo. Would not want that type of foam near anything valuable.

So if the foam is somewhat stiff (closer to a dry synthetic sponge) its likely fine.. but if its very soft foam... avoid that.

FYI the Auhagen boxes (after not finding them easily on EurorailHobbies under its Auhagen section, so just search for "boxes"):
http://www.eurotrainhobb...u-box-xxl-1-pc/p10513c76
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2016 00:30:27(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Ive had the grey looking open cell foam, that looks like the Aughagen foam - though it isn't verifiable without knowing the exact syntetic used in both foams... my foam sheets have lasted for decades with the only effect being that there is dust on it if it was open to the world. Its the type of foam that is modular or cut-able in camera cases (such as Pelican cases). I'd have no worries about that sort of foam; it is typically stiffer.

If the foam is very flexible and soft - that foam I would absolutely be worried about. My guess is its the flex/softening agents added . Thats the sort of foam used in car ventilation systems as seals, or similar applications - that foam seems to begin to break down after 7 years or so and becomes a sticky mess that disintegrates like goo. Would not want that type of foam near anything valuable.

So if the foam is somewhat stiff (closer to a dry synthetic sponge) its likely fine.. but if its very soft foam... avoid that.

FYI the Auhagen boxes (after not finding them easily on EurorailHobbies under its Auhagen section, so just search for "boxes"):
http://www.eurotrainhobb...u-box-xxl-1-pc/p10513c76

I have seen foam similar to that pictured go very sticky and make a mess of the item it was supposed to be protecting.

I have also seen similar foam go very powdery instead of sticky, and then you have to clean the item out. It creates a horrible plastic dust that gets in everywhere.

The Styrofoam that Marklin has used in loco and wagon set boxes in the past can also do either of these things again making a mess of a loco or wagon. I think this is part of the reason Marklin supply a plastic sheet under each item to protect it from the foam self destruction properties.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline hennabm  
#12 Posted : 13 March 2016 12:18:26(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

Since learning of the dangers of the Styrofoam and seeing he results in terms of paint damage, all my loks in their M boxes now have a layer of tissue paper between the foam and the paintwork.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hennabm
Offline sjbartels  
#13 Posted : 17 August 2016 19:15:34(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I've been thinking for a while what to do with some of my unboxed things, especially one locomotive that I have had for over 30 years that holds much sentimental value. I found a US distributor for these Auhagen boxes (after seeing the initial post in this thread - whom I bet I could have asked and been given the same contact I ultimately found!) so went ahead and ordered a couple to see how they would work - they're perfect. Granted they don't "match" my Marklin boxes, but when I have grey, orange, blue and white Marklin boxes anyway, what does adding red really matter?? I'm really impressed and am going to be ordering more!

3085 Box.jpg

American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 17 August 2016 20:41:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
A couple of years ago I put in an order from Lokshop for a few of these boxes and shortly afterwards they sent me an email cancelling the order as the product was no longer available.

I'm confused....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#15 Posted : 17 August 2016 21:50:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
lippe seems to have them in stock
SBB Era 2-5
Offline applor  
#16 Posted : 18 August 2016 02:56:41(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Kind of annoying if you only need 1 box though:S
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 18 August 2016 18:52:22(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, I've ordered some from LokShop today - they are not actually in stock, but shown as in stock from producer.
Let's see what happens...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline franciscohg  
#18 Posted : 18 August 2016 23:51:53(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Seems to be great boxes indeed, have seen a couple at a second hand seller in Santiago, but too late for me. A patient search trough the years made me found all the leerkartons that i neededBigGrin
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Harryv40  
#19 Posted : 19 August 2016 11:16:09(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi guys
They are available from Golden Valley Hobbies in the uk, they are the Auhagen dealers in the UK.
They come in packs of 10, the foam is a separate purchase.

But they start at £38.00'for 10, so not cheap.

I think this could be a good threat to start with the best way to protect our expensive purchases.

Also yesterday someone said about protecting your layout, last night my cat, losted one of her lives by climbing all over my dust cover and destroying a lot of hard work😭😭😭😭😭

Harry
Offline Harryv40  
#20 Posted : 19 August 2016 11:25:55(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Sorry Guys
Perhaps old ways are best!
Marklin used to supply rolling stock in a cardboard box, with the item wrapped in what looks like parchment or grease proof paper.

Harry
Offline ktsolias  
#21 Posted : 19 August 2016 11:48:36(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Have a look at this link
http://www.marklin.gr/in...rder=ASC/limit=15/page=9
I have buy Auhagen boxes from them.

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias