Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2016 09:39:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Forgot to mention to those in Oz that have pay telly a new series "Railroad Australia" starts tonight on the Discovery Channel @ 8:30. Guess that means NZ as well Flapper

I assume that it will find its way to Discovery in other regions in due course. Should prove interesting considering most of the rural lines have been ripped up what they end up actually showing.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2016 22:15:43(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
Watched the first episode, thanks for the tip. Smile
UserPostedImage
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2016 20:48:32(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
All the info I can find on this show only lists a max of 4 episodes, would you have any more information?

Thank you very much. :)
UserPostedImage
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2016 01:12:55(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I believe there are 8 episodes Walter.

Have to admit I forgot about it after the first 2...... will have to look for them on the catchup service.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline NZMarklinist  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2016 02:39:01(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Thanks Shane, yes I have seen it advertised on Sky here and it is on the Discovery Channel. They do have "sky on demand" via the web or a new wifi device they sent me to connect to my sky decoder for viewing "on demand" on my TV. However it finds my router but doesn't connect ! It's digital you see Laugh Wink

When I get it working I'll check "Railroad Australia" out, the promos where enthralling Smile

One thing Sky here has is, "series link" it records all the episodes of a series, so you don't miss one Shane.ThumpUp shame I didn't use it Blink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2016 04:37:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Never heard the name before: Railroad Australia, it was always "Railways", Americans use "Railroad", we've always used the English version of "Railways".

I've never heard using the word Railroad when referring to rural lines nor the mainline and they still up to day we use the word NSW Railways, Queensland Railways, Victorian Railways, South Australian Railways, Western Australian Railways, Tasmanian Railways and National Railways and hardly ever used the word State Railways.

So someone is trying again to Americanize our language. When I talk to American model train enthusiasts I respect their language and use the word Railroad.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2016 07:22:35(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2016 07:07:03(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Discovery on Sky in NZ, are rerunning episodes 1 - 5 on Sunday afternoon starting at 1300 NZTime I'll see if I have space to record it on "My Sky"

Ep 4 is also showing Wednesday at 17.35 & Sunday at 15.45 after 1 - 4 Ep 5 is Showing Thursday Friday, Saturday and then Sunday after the other episode junket

If your keen it will be hard to miss. Interesting that the times do not coincide with Foxtel Australia screenings
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline NZMarklinist  
#9 Posted : 05 April 2016 07:09:10(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Never heard the name before: Railroad Australia, it was always "Railways", Americans use "Railroad", we've always used the English version of "Railways".

I've never heard using the word Railroad when referring to rural lines nor the mainline and they still up to day we use the word NSW Railways, Queensland Railways, Victorian Railways, South Australian Railways, Western Australian Railways, Tasmanian Railways and National Railways and hardly ever used the word State Railways.

So someone is trying again to Americanize our language. When I talk to American model train enthusiasts I respect their language and use the word Railroad.

John

John, it is probably because Discovery is an American Channel, and they intend showing it over there Huh
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2016 07:10:44(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
I believe there are 8 episodes Walter.

Have to admit I forgot about it after the first 2...... will have to look for them on the catchup service.

This coming Sunday arvo is your chance Shane. Get in a box of beer Laugh Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline nitramretep  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2016 22:16:29(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I remember a documentary that was on cable here about an Australian railway, a narrow gauge line, that was filmed in HD. I think it was about loco "Puffing Billy", it was a very good documentary that I could never find it again. It was on HBO or perhaps another channel. It was a few years ago but the quality of the production was pretty good.
Offline Shamu  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2016 23:50:00(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Just saw a ad for another one on the History Channel tonight...... "Making Tracks", a 3 parter.

Supposed to cover the Sunlander, Indian Pacific and the Gahn I think.
Offline sjbartels  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2016 01:28:16(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
I remember a documentary that was on cable here about an Australian railway, a narrow gauge line, that was filmed in HD. I think it was about loco "Puffing Billy", it was a very good documentary that I could never find it again. It was on HBO or perhaps another channel. It was a few years ago but the quality of the production was pretty good.

Ahh yes, Puffing Billy. Thats a tourist train east of Melbourne. Never rode it myself. Whats interesting about it is that it's a narrow gauge railroad and the rest of Victoria (The State where it is) is all broad gauge.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline sjbartels  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2016 01:29:38(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post
Just saw a ad for another one on the History Channel tonight...... "Making Tracks", a 3 parter.

Supposed to cover the Sunlander, Indian Pacific and the Gahn I think.

No mention of The Overland?
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#15 Posted : 18 April 2016 00:29:16(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
I found another Australian Railway series, really enjoyed it. It is five parts, once you find the first part it's easy to find the rest. BigGrin

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2016 05:09:08(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
The last episode was today, I hope they will have more seasons in the future.

Here's a picture of Bernie Baker driving the Bernie Baker (Yes, the locomotive is named after him in honour of 35 years of service).

459957.jpg
img00001.jpg
UserPostedImage
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 29 April 2016 05:23:32(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

One thing Sky here has is, "series link" it records all the episodes of a series, so you don't miss one Shane.ThumpUp shame I didn't use it Blink

Without fail every time I have used the "series link" to record a series there is either a power failure or it rains enough to block the sat signal....... I more or less gave up on using it.

If I'm keen enough (and lucky) I'll watch what appeals on catchup..... assuming that it is even shown, half the time they aren't. Cursing
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 03 July 2016 12:29:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
For those in the UK (and those who can get UK satellite programs on Sky) Railroad Australia is showing as starting on Discovery at 10pm Tuesday in the Radio Times. BT and Virgin also have it in HD. Shame I don't have cable or satellite.