Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2016 03:42:35(UTC)
baggio

Canada   

Hello, Everyone:

As some of you may remember, I recently bought the start up steam loco, 36243, that we discussed many times in this forum.

After trying out a few times the doses of smoke fluid, I got it to work in the sense that it does smoke, but a dose lasts only 90 seconds, less than two minutes for sure. If I wanted to watch it go for an hour, I would use up a whole big bottle.... Scared

Somehow, I thought a dose should last for about 15 minutes and at a show last fall, I think it lasted around that time; but maybe my memory fails me. Perhaps Mark may remember.

What has been your experience with this and other steam locos in terms of the time a small dose lasts (about 2 lines of the syringe)?

Just curious.

Thank you.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Br502362  
#2 Posted : 07 March 2016 05:35:25(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi baggio,

90 seconds sounds too short time to me but I run my steamers in analogue mode only
which I think uses lower voltage in the smoke unit.

After a smoke fluid dose is opened it also begins to evaporate so my Märklin 50ml dose
didn't last very long. So I bought 1000ml bottle BigGrin

$_57.jpg

MOBA PETERSDORF

Cheers
Åke
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2016 07:57:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, Baggio,

The recommended dose is 0.2 ml.

There are two types of smoke generators that are typically used for Märklin locos: Seuthe No. 10 (aka 7226) and Seuthe No. 20 (aka 72270).
I've had several problems with the No. 20 type and no longer install it.
No. 10 gives me less trouble and smoke lasts longer.

Good news first: with modern decoders you can adjust the intensity of smoke in the decoder, provided the smoke generator is controlled with the decoder.

Bad news: for Märklin H0 locos this requires a CS or ECoS (for non-Märklin locos this can be done with an MS2).

The smoke generator can be "dimmed" in the decoder to produce less smoke and a dose should than last longer.
There is a special setting for smoke generators that produces less smoke while train is standing and more smoke while train is running.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline skeeterbuck  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2016 14:54:32(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Since I model Era II I have mostly steam locos. I really like the smoking effect and rarely buy a loco that doesn't have the option of installing a smoke unit.

Since I enjoy this feature so much I try and get the most smoke I can from each unit and have come to the following conclusions.

You need to use smoke fluid made for the Seuthe units. (German Made like Seuthe,Piko, MA etc) I have the best results with the fluids that are also designed for cleaning. Living in the USA, most of the smoke fluids available are designed for American toy trains like Lionel and American Flyer. These fluids are like a thin oil and will clog up the small tube used in the Seuthe units. Don't use this!

Don't use the Seuthe units designed for "Digital" operation. These don't smoke nearly as well as the "Analog" versions. Luckily, the new decoders work well with the regular #10 and #20 units.

Seuthe must have some tolerance variances when making the smoke units. The reason I say this is that, I have exchanged units in the same loco and some units just smoke better than others. This seems to occur with the #20 units somewhat more that the #10 units but I haven't done any serious testing to confirm this. It just "seems" to be this way. RollEyes

I give you two examples. They are both older Marklin engines. The first being 3308 BR 85 (2-10-2T) that was converted to digital some time ago using a 9050 decoder. This engine has Telex couplers also added. Since the 9050 only supports one function, this was wired to control the Telex feature. The lights and the smoke unit (#10) are wired to receive track power all the time. This smoke unit works well and puts out good amount of smoke. I try and keep it filled with fluid but am not always diligent about it and it does go for times without any fluid. It still works as well as when I first installed it and this loco get a lot of usage as it's one of my favorites. This leads me to believe that the amount of voltage used during digital operation is not enough to burn out the smoke units.

The second example is a 3318 BR 18 (4-6-2) that I rather recently converted to sound with a Marklin 60945 steam decoder I purchased from Gordon Scholz here on the forum. (ThumpUp Thanks again!) This loco uses the #20 smaller style tapered smoke units. This loco smokes as well if not better that any of my other loco smoke units. This leads me conclude that they all a little different and some are just better smokers that others.

Lastly, the longest I've been able to get my units to smoke are approximately 4 minutes. IIRC the last time I tried timing how long the smoke would last I was aiming for 5 minutes and I couldn't get any to last that long.

I hope that this helpful info to any"Smoke-aholics" like me. Woot

Chuck

Edited by user 09 March 2016 13:07:21(UTC)  | Reason: grammer correction

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2016 15:35:21(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Hi baggio,

90 seconds sounds too short time to me but I run my steamers in analogue mode only
which I think uses lower voltage in the smoke unit.

After a smoke fluid dose is opened it also begins to evaporate so my Märklin 50ml dose
didn't last very long. So I bought 1000ml bottle BigGrin

Cheers
Åke

I have had unopened vials of smoke fluid that come with the smoke units evaporate before use. I was most unimpressed when i came to use one. ThumbDown ThumbDown
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 08 March 2016 03:51:36(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I want to thank everyone who answered my question: much appreciated. BigGrin

Frankly, I think smoke is a bit of a gimmick, nice to look at when friends come over, but very expensive to operate on a regualar basis. ThumbDown

My REAL love is Italian electric locos anyway, which are very nice to operate, even without a decoder and sound. And, did I mention, FAST? ThumpUp

I just wish Marklin made more of them.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2016 05:48:13(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Funny you should mention the SR24 fluid, BR, because on an Italian forum someone mentioned that very same fluid at a cost of 12 Euros per litre (about $18.00 CAD).

Much cheaper than the Marklin fluid, $29.00 CAD for 250 ml..

Is it available in Canada?
Offline Br502362  
#8 Posted : 09 March 2016 07:18:23(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Funny you should mention the SR24 fluid, BR, because on an Italian forum someone mentioned that very same fluid at a cost of 12 Euros per litre (about $18.00 CAD).

Much cheaper than the Marklin fluid, $29.00 CAD for 250 ml..

Is it available in Canada?

It's not available in Finland so I bought one from Germany.
Moba Petersdorf has worldwide shipping.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/12-99EUR...49ba9:g:-yAAAOxyaTxTRtt5

Cheers

Åke
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Br502362
Offline vnangli  
#9 Posted : 02 June 2016 18:45:24(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Is there a contact number for Gordon Scholz? Or is he on this forum? I have a list of track items I want to purchase and may be help him save the Evil Bay fees..And help another forum member...
Offline skeeterbuck  
#10 Posted : 02 June 2016 18:49:29(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
Is there a contact number for Gordon Scholz? Or is he on this forum? I have a list of track items I want to purchase and may be help him save the Evil Bay fees..And help another forum member...

scholz.com@comcast.net

Tell him Chuck says HI!
Offline GlennM  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2016 00:40:28(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
In response to the original question on this thread, at a recent display at Abingdon Model Rail Show my Marklin MHI 39053 Insider Br 05 "Cab Forward" was producing smoke for just over 8 minutes. The last minute and a half was somewhat reduced and as the train was standing idle in a siding, was sufficient but may have been lost if the train had been running at speed.
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2016 01:53:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you all for your feedback.

As for me, I have decided NOT to use the smoke feature because I think it is unsafe, at least in small areas,
like my basement where I would end up inhaling it. Scared

Pity.

It's also a pity that the loco is so slooooow. Sad
Offline skeeterbuck  
#13 Posted : 04 June 2016 22:03:37(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your feedback.

As for me, I have decided NOT to use the smoke feature because I think it is unsafe, at least in small areas,
like my basement where I would end up inhaling it. Scared

I hope for all of us that your wrong. Unsure For as much as I like using the smoke on my steamers, I living on borrowed time. Tongue

Chuck
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2016 15:34:43(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I dont run the smoke on any of my HO steamers, or my Dad's Lionel set at xmas. The smoke bothers my asthma. If I want smoke, I will run one of my 2 g scale live steamers on my garden railway, one is a coal burner and makes the proper smell of smoke and its timed with the pistons perfectly! :) And outdoors, the products of combustion are quickly dispensed and I stay upwind of the smoke plume when firing up. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger