Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online xxup  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2016 01:51:00(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Miss 16 and I were chatting the other day about the old layouts we made when she was younger. We were trying to remember the name of the fictional station that was on the Faller or Kibri or Vollmer platform sign. I know that the original station and platform are safely stored in a big box in the garage (about 20 years until first Grandchild we estimate RollEyes ) so we could go looking for it. But we digress.

Around this point of the conversation, we realised that there are some really good reasons why you would not want to use real station names on your layout. Many of these are around the practical side of scaling down the real world. That Basel station is not around the bend from Hamburg station is one that comes to mind. But you could run a small countryside layout where a train (like the ICE or more practically the Tegernsee Bahn) services small towns.

Then we started to think about the station names we could use:
- One Tree Hill
- Max's Lament
- Foul Bay (Actual place in OZ)
- Yorkeys Knob (Another real place - been there too!).

With the power of modern printers and some small scale lamination it should be very easy to make some cool and original station name signs.

Does anyone use unique station names on their layout? Perhaps this could be a new show topic for the legendary MartinT enterprises.

Edited by user 06 April 2016 21:51:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2016 01:56:10(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Yes, I do:

Den City (for locals: Dencity)

:o)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2016 02:21:17(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
This is something that has been on and off my mind for around a year now and about a month ago I stumbled across a Dymo USB label printer (Label Manager PnP) for Au$45 brand new. It even came with 2 tape spools that are a thin adhesive backed plastic.

Can not recall ATM where I found them but I downloaded a pile of German fonts for it and I'm quite impressed how small it will print.... certainly smaller than I can read without my glasses Blushing .

Will come in very handy for naming all my stations and businesses on my layout sometime down the track........ asides from "Shamu Stadt or "Shamu Hauptbahnhof" for one of the main stations I'll have to come up with one for the second station plus 2 for a rural/mountain line.

One of the grandkids suggested "Erbrochenem Berg" for a mountain station but I don't think that is going to happen.

Anyhoo I definitely think for the price of a wagon one of those Dymo label printers (with German fonts) is excellent value for money, assuming you have at least a dozen or more names to be printed. Thinking about it just now you could even do street names as well.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Online xxup  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2016 02:34:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
That's a good point.. It is not just stations that need a name, but each town's small businesses.. Like "Let's Meat" the butcher shop in Max's Lament.. Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2016 02:56:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Adrian, yes this has always been on my mind, Bonn Station with SBB or French loco's but at the end of the day who gives a you know what.
my layout was named Moosburg, (there are actually towns called Moosburg) but the idea behind it was quite simple: Moos = moss, Burg = castle, I have a castle and most of my scenery add ons exists or consists of moss.

we have a few smaller station (HOe) and I can't remember what they are called, I think one is a replica of a Swiss railway station.

I know it can be somewhat annoying but what can you do about it ? you just have to live with it and concentrate more on trains than station names. some of my video viewers mentioned I've got Swiss trains with German catenary. but there is nothing I can do, my loco collection started of with German and Austrian trains and than I got the bug for Swiss locos and it is still in me. one day I may change a section to Swiss catenary but there are many other priorities than changing the catenary.
there are many layouts who have specific locations may be a bit crammed but prototypical for a specific area or region. I don't think I'll ever go into business names other than what is provided by carriages or trucks and some commercial street signs, although its a good slogan "Let's meat", I like to meet my deadlines which are well overdue.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2016 04:53:32(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
You could even attach the name of someone you care for on a wagon, or the name of the person who gave you that wagon or loco.

If you are a narcissist, you can also name the station with your own name: Silvano Central LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2016 06:09:34(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I designed my layout around a fictive border area between Denmark and Germany.

My industrial small, older town is Karlstad and then a small, newer Danish town is Rosenby (named after my daughter Rose).

So in that way I can get the best of both worlds! The German area is mainly Faller and Kibri buildings and the Danish town is mainly Heljan and Auhagen.

I found is actually quite fun trying to model 2 different areas, even though the layout is relatively small.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline PJMärklin  
#8 Posted : 05 March 2016 08:27:37(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Miss 16 and I were chatting the other day about the old layouts we made when she was younger. We were trying to remember the name of the fictional station that was on the Faller or Kibri or Vollmer platform sign. I know that the original station and platform are safely stored in a big box in the garage (about 20 years until first Grandchild we estimate RollEyes ) so we could go looking for it. But we digress.

Around this point of the conversation, we realised that there are some really good reasons why you would not want to use real station names on your layout. Many of these are around the practical side of scaling down the real world. That Basel station is not around the bend from Hamburg station is one that comes to mind. But you could run a small countryside layout where a train (like the ICE or more practically the Tegernsee Bahn) services small towns.

Then we started to think about the station names we could use:
- One Tree Hill
- Max's Lament
- Foul Bay (Actual place in OZ)
- Yorkeys Knob (Another real place - been there too!).

With the power of modern printers and some small scale lamination it should be very easy to make some cool and original station name signs.

Does anyone use unique station names on their layout? Perhaps this could be a new show topic for the legendary MartinT enterprises.

Hello Adrian,

Not actually unique or original, but when deciding on a name for my town and station I wanted to choose something that was somehow related to Australia.

Given that there are a lot of "outback stations" in Australia, I chose to use the German namelabels "Altbach". So now we have an "Outback" station that has locomotives, not sheep or cattle!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The street behind the station is of course Hauptbahnhofstrasse.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The main street on the upper level in the oldtown is "Kunststoffstrasse"

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2016 09:55:49(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And in addition to the contemporary Den City there had been in chronological order other fictional station names, as:

Oberhafen (= Port Superior), 2004
Hohlberg (= Hollow Hill), 2008
Slumburg-Dummtor (dumm = dumb & Tor = fool), 2011 (not to be mistaken for Hamburg-Dammtor, where Dammtor = Causeway Gate)
Slumburg-Alltoofar, 2012 (not to be mistaken for Hamburg-Altona)

(Pfeilerbahn (= Pillar Railway), Thunder Mountain and Blue River use(d) to be rather layout names.)

Edited by user 05 March 2016 19:51:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline SteamNut  
#10 Posted : 05 March 2016 10:14:16(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have named my towns and stations after places I have visited in Germany and the home towns of my parents. One is also named Luginsland for the home town of one of my friend's home town. Two of my industries use the last names of two other friends, Smolka & Finkel. I have to associate someday something for my three daughters who, unfortunately, express little interest in the hobby. Perhaps that will change when grandchildren arrive.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2016 02:18:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Adrian,
Thanks for introducing this topic.
I think we all have a lot of fun with names.
I painted a flour mill on the Club layout, W.E.Avil and Co, in the script used by a local milling company.

My layouts (built, part built, or in my imagination), are:

USA- Pennsylvania RR: Harristown - (my high school in Queensland) which word happens to be a combination of Harrisburg and Hagerstown, both on the Pennsy.
USA- West Virginia: Kimball and North Fork - yes both towns exist.
Germany - south: Altkloster not a real place, but not far from the French border.
France: Saint Rufus la Roche. - Saint Rufus is linked to Mainz Germany, but I am sure his travels took him to the Vosges region of France, where rocks are a plenty.
Australia 1: Grafton and Deepwater (G&D) in northern New South Wales. The letters will always remind me of John Allens' legendry Gorre and Daphetid model layout.
Australia 2: Lockyer Siding - I have built a 1910 HO scale bridge to complement this.
UK: Great Ashfield - a Suffolk name forever associated with my English ancestry.
Denmark: Taulov - a town in Denmark, happens to be the northern and eastern European spelling of my surname, pronounced 'towel-oh'.
Denmark: Gamleby - means old town, pronounced 'gam-le-boo'.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Gregor  
#12 Posted : 07 March 2016 10:58:13(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi Adrian,

I called my station Holtum HBF. Holtum is the village where my uncle lived, from which I inherited a large part of my collection of trains.

In reality there is no station, not even a railway close. And being a dutch village, the station would not be called HBF.

UserPostedImage

I printed the label on normal paper, soaked it with NOCH fixating spray, and applied it on the sign.

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline Alsterstreek  
#13 Posted : 07 March 2016 13:54:53(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
It is not just stations that need a name, but each town's small businesses.. Smile

On my penultimate layout the upper return loop represented the suburban station of "Llwnmwr", while the run down half-relief warehouses in the background represented the "Sledgehammer" industrial district.

;o)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#14 Posted : 07 March 2016 18:59:37(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Or for a US setting, how about the below fictional station names?

Sandwichita, KS
Lake Wannabee, NY
Humbug, CA
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline baggio  
#15 Posted : 07 March 2016 19:02:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
And being a dutch village, the station would not be called HBF.

Nice station.ThumpUp

But why did you say the above?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline PeFu  
#16 Posted : 07 March 2016 19:23:14(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
And being a dutch village, the station would not be called HBF.

Nice station.ThumpUp

But why did you say the above?

A railway station in the Netherlands would probably be "Centraal" or "Spoorwegstation", but never "Hbf", i.e. the German "Hauptbahnhof"... Smile

Cool Peter

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline Gregor  
#17 Posted : 07 March 2016 23:55:41(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

A railway station in the Netherlands would probably be "Centraal" or "Spoorwegstation", but never "Hbf", i.e. the German "Hauptbahnhof"... Smile

Cool Peter

Indeed... Although Holtum Centraal would be hilarious for a village with 1100 inhabitants... Smile
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 08 March 2016 03:42:38(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Do cities in the Netherlands have more than one train station?

The reason I ask is that in Italy they do and once I almost got taken in Genoa when I needed to take another train and almost got off at the wrong station Scared (the next train would have come the next day!).

The wording "centrale" is normally what governs: Milano Centrale, for example.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 08 March 2016 05:02:57(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hauptbahnhof = Main Station = Gare Centrale = Stazione Centrale and so on…

Many Swiss modellers take the common endings of town names "wil", "kon" or "au" and make their station names sound Swiss

My theme is a hybrid of the Zurichsee line, the Gotthard and other lines, so it has elements of Pfaeffikon Schwyz (SZ), Arth-Goldau SZ and Interlaken Bern (BE).

I guess the same rules could apply to French "ville" or "bourg" or German "stadt", "dorf" or "au"

I guess that you can name your town, city, hamlet, village or signpost whatever you want to call it.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PeFu  
#20 Posted : 08 March 2016 07:38:13(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Do cities in the Netherlands have more than one train station?

The reason I ask is that in Italy they do and once I almost got taken in Genoa when I needed to take another train and almost got off at the wrong station Scared (the next train would have come the next day!).

The wording "centrale" is normally what governs: Milano Centrale, for example.

There are some interesting info here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.o...tions_in_the_Netherlands

...however I have no clue how strict they are on the "40000 daily passenger" rule for Centraal, if only one station in the city.

Near the place where I live, there is the city Fagersta having less than 12000 residents with both an Central and North railway station for passengers: The Central is where the railway line junction is, and North is where the actual center of Fagersta is... ThumpUp

Cool Peter
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline morsing  
#21 Posted : 08 March 2016 22:40:36(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
My layout (still being planned) will have names after my pets and house :-)

Peacock Central
Lillebo
Little Sabre
Pixel City
Zephyr Junction
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by morsing
Offline ixldoc  
#22 Posted : 13 March 2016 06:16:48(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
My layout has a small German resort town for reformed meth addicts.
Groan.Bad Breaking.jpg

Howard.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline Lucky_Fish  
#23 Posted : 16 March 2016 07:59:05(UTC)
Lucky_Fish

South Africa   
You could even attach the name of someone you care for on a wagon, or the name of the person who gave you that wagon or loco.

If you are a narcissist, you can also name the station with your own name: Silvano Central LOL

Or a real station called Johannesburg in the state of Gauteng, South Africa.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lucky_Fish
Offline Minok  
#24 Posted : 06 April 2016 19:45:27(UTC)
Minok

United States   
There's a town here in Washington state in the US that would apply well to many layouts I've seen in youtube videos and images: Woodenville.

So from that one can

• Add a lake or spring: Bad Woodenville
  • Have a stream near by: Woodenvilbach
  • Have a river near by: Woodenville a.<river abbreviation>
  • If its on or near a mountain: Woodenvilleberg
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline DaleSchultz  
#25 Posted : 07 April 2016 02:13:58(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I have named one village Senklerdorf - after a dear train friend who passed away last year: http://cabinlayout.mixmox.com/1/Senklerdorf

I have a Walser tunnel http://cabinlayout.mixmo...m/1/tunnel-portals-added
and Hopmanheuval named after other train friends....
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Online xxup  
#26 Posted : 07 April 2016 03:46:04(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
That's an excellent idea. I think that I will name the new station - Saebon bakken jernbanestasjonen (hopefully it translates to Saebon Hill Railway station) after our good friend Svein who passed away just over a year ago.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Shamu  
#27 Posted : 07 April 2016 05:58:46(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Excellent idea...... will have to name one of the stations after old uncle Thorsten. ThumpUp

He got me many brilliant deals on trains from the fatherland before he passed Sad it will be very appropriate ThumpUp
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 07 April 2016 06:51:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I'm not 100 % convinced about PJ's station name Altbach = outback, I cannot relate the 2 names if you translate the name from German into English Altbach means "oldcreek" so the name outback has no link to Altbach.

however I couldn't give 2 hoots what anybody calls their railway stations and Altbach isn't a bad name at all. may be call it Alice Springs, the river Torrens is always dry anyhow.BigGrin
Offline ozzman  
#29 Posted : 07 April 2016 07:32:28(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Not sure if these have been suggested yet, but a sleepy Australian backwater station could be called Kickatinalong. It's NZ equivalent could be called Waikikamoocow.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ozzman
Offline Minok  
#30 Posted : 07 April 2016 07:40:08(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
Not sure if these have been suggested yet, but a sleepy Australian backwater station could be called Kickatinalong. It's NZ equivalent could be called Waikikamoocow.

Or Midlanowhere. But the locals call it Middie.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PJMärklin  
#31 Posted : 07 April 2016 12:29:13(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not 100 % convinced about PJ's station name Altbach = outback, I cannot relate the 2 names........

(Say it 17 times quickly whilst you listen in the other direction )
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 07 April 2016 14:01:47(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not 100 % convinced about PJ's station name Altbach = outback, I cannot relate the 2 names........

(Say it 17 times quickly whilst you listen in the other direction )

It worked for me after the 18th time LOL

Offline morsing  
#33 Posted : 07 April 2016 22:59:56(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
That's an excellent idea. I think that I will name the new station - Saebon bakken jernbanestasjonen (hopefully it translates to Saebon Hill Railway station) after our good friend Svein who passed away just over a year ago.

Hi,

I think that would be "Saebon the Hill the Railway station" without being a Norwegian expert. "Saebon Bakke Jernbanestasjon" is probably better.

Is Saebon a name?
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Online xxup  
#34 Posted : 08 April 2016 07:05:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Wow! Thanks for the help with the translation.. Now there are less letters too! Smile
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist  
#35 Posted : 08 April 2016 14:58:19(UTC)
Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist

A real-life station in Norway is named "Hell". Since the place where travellers' luggage is handled is named "godsexpedition" in norwegian (and swedish), a very interesting sign says "Hell - God's Expedition".

Hell (Wikipedia)
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist
Offline morsing  
#36 Posted : 08 April 2016 20:37:57(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Wow! Thanks for the help with the translation.. Now there are less letters too! Smile

In Scandinavian languages, "the" is appended to the noun, hence:

Bakke = Hill
Bakken = The Hill

It get's fun when you start mixing plural and "the" (definitive? My grammar is getting rusty...):

Cat = Kat
The cat = Katten
Cats = Katte
The Cats = Kattene

-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Online xxup  
#37 Posted : 08 April 2016 23:28:44(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist Go to Quoted Post
A real-life station in Norway is named "Hell". Since the place where travellers' luggage is handled is named "godsexpedition" in norwegian (and swedish), a very interesting sign says "Hell - God's Expedition".

Hell (Wikipedia)

New slant on the saying "Go to Hell".. "Hell of a place"..LOL

I see that it is only up the road from Lillehammer, which is one of the places we plan to visit next time we go to Norway. It could be a Hell of a holiday.. Laugh

Adrian
UserPostedImage