Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2016 19:42:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Are "Hupac" cars normally found only in Hupac trains or do the cars get shuffled all over the place as used to be the case when the cars belonged to the national railways?

I have some AAE cars which just list AAE. Others have "leased to" markings and provide a specific operator.
Can I mix all different operator cars in one consist or would those normally only be used in specific combinations or consists?

So far I have a mix of Samskip, Geest and VanDieren on assorted cars (Roco, Kombimodell and Maerklin), Ewals and Crossrail (Roco and Maerklin), SBB Cargo (Roco, Fleischmann, Maerklin and Maerklin-Staiber) and one assorted lot of Hupac cars (Maerklin).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bart  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2016 10:36:19(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Are "Hupac" cars normally found only in Hupac trains or do the cars get shuffled all over the place as used to be the case when the cars belonged to the national railways?

I have some AAE cars which just list AAE. Others have "leased to" markings and provide a specific operator.
Can I mix all different operator cars in one consist or would those normally only be used in specific combinations or consists?

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure about the answer.
You may want to search Youtube for "Betuwelijn" or "Betuweroute", which is our high-speed freight corridor from Rotterdam to Ruhrgebiet/Switzerland.
Here are a few examples of consists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqIqbDOvRmQ#t=927.901949
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1G77hqBUVY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ad4VGOc-8
*Bart
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline Carim  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2016 13:41:27(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi Mike,

From my observations (mainly in the UK), you can safely mix and match wagons from various leasing companies - I believe that AAE has even been taken over by VTG now. In fact, in the UK, the rail franchise operators actually own very little of their own stock - it's all owned by leasing companies (banks). From what I have read, this is certainly becoming more and more of the standard practice in a lot of Europe. I certainly have seen VTG, Geest and Rail Freight liveried stock together in one train (in London). I frequently even see locos near me that are liveried for "DB Schenker"! I gues the only restriction for a lot of modern, European rolling stock is loading gauge, axel weight, etc.

Kind regards,
Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim