Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harryv40  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2016 13:52:56(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Could I just highlight to people the Eurotrack show being held this weekend 27th & 28th February.

It's being held at the Oasis Academy in Lordshill Southampton SO16 0XN. It's £6 for adults and if you travel by train to Southampton Central Station they have a free heritage bus to the show.

I have been before and its a good show with both European and British layouts and traders. I know for example Star Boutique has come over from Auxerre in France with some Marklin stock. Also a number of societies.

So if you are looking for something to do why not give it a try!

Harry
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2016 17:55:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Could I just highlight to people the Eurotrack show being held this weekend 27th & 28th February.

It's being held at the Oasis Academy in Lordshill Southampton SO16 0XN. It's £6 for adults and if you travel by train to Southampton Central Station they have a free heritage bus to the show.

I have been before and its a good show with both European and British layouts and traders. I know for example Star Boutique has come over from Auxerre in France with some Marklin stock. Also a number of societies.

So if you are looking for something to do why not give it a try!

Harry

I have been to it in years past, and it is one of the few exhibitions around that give one a European MRR fix. It has been a good size exhibition in the past, but I don't know this address for it.
Offline Harryv40  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2016 20:41:45(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi
It's a new venue for the show and it as, I have been told, over 600 car parking spaces!
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2016 20:18:49(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Would be great to see you can post some photos of the show later.
Let us know how it goes.
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
It's a new venue for the show and it as, I have been told, over 600 car parking spaces!

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Harryv40  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2016 08:48:57(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Everyone
I went yesterday, Saturday, still going today if you can make it. The Show is on at a fairly new School the Oasis Academy, so it's a modern building with a lot of room to spread out.
I could not find a Marklin layout, although I would say European HO was well represented, nearly all of the modelling groups had layouts, Swiss Railway Society, Austrain Railway Group, European Railways Association,German Railway Society, Benelux Railway Society, etc, I am sorry if I missed anyone.
In terms of stock not much Marklin I am afraid, however, I did see two HAG items, a Swiss rail coach and a loco, they looked almost as new, for £130 each, unfortunately they were two rail or I would be looking at them now.
The layout gauges ranged from Z to O & G .
I had two favourites the Swiss layout Maloja HOm Bemo Stock, the chap running it kept the layout moving, otherwise people walk away and the other one was Inselbahn Langeoog, in Nm gauge, the rolling stock was card bodies on Marklin or Japenese running gear.
In terms of photos I would suggest the Solent model group website.

The Car parking was well awful, I parked in the next door free car park, still fairly full but you could find space, especially towards mid afternoon.

Overall I enjoyed the show especially being able to meet so many overseas modellers, German, Austrian, Belgium, French who all brought a slightly different view on railway modelling.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline AshleyH  
#6 Posted : 29 February 2016 14:04:52(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
A pity I have read this thread too late or I could have met up with you Harry.
I was one of the operators on the Lulworth layout at the show. Not Marklin, or even continental!
Though I did have some 3 Rsil running on a Roco Smartrsil at the side of the layout😀

But it would have been nice to chat to a fellow Marklinist. Maybe next year......

Agree about the parking, we had enough trouble as exhibitors early on the Saturday morning.

Overall, a great show and a pleasant venue apart from the aforementioned parking and also the lack of catering facilities, apart from drinks.

Best Regards
Ashley
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 29 February 2016 14:15:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post

Though I did have some 3 Rsil running on a Roco Smartrsil at the side of the layout😀

Oh good, I bought a Fleischmann Smartrail unit last year at an auction for a good price, but have yet to run it up. How well does it do with Marklin protocol?

Maybe next year they will have the parking sorted ... BigGrin

Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 29 February 2016 15:45:48(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I popped in for a couple of hours. Very good show some excellent layouts and a good mix of traders in a pleasant spacious venue kept at a very good temperature without getting stuffy like some of the church hall type venues. I could have got grumpy at the parking but a nice man got in his car and left almost outside the front door and in I zipped and had a silly grin for the next half hour!
Offline AshleyH  
#9 Posted : 29 February 2016 19:32:53(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Alan,

As to the Smartrail, well I only received it on the Friday before the show, so I am still 'playing' so to speak!

So far I've had mixed results with my Marklin collection. There seems to be no obvious 'rule of thumb' as to whether a loco will be detected or not. The first item I tried, my Franco-Crosti 42.90 39160 could not be detected. However, my MfX UP Mikado works just fine. Then I tried an MfX Compact C Sine Class 64 39641, no joy with that one. So I thought maybe it's just C Sines that don't work as there is no resistance across the motor. But then my 39579 C Sine 103 worked just fine......Ho hum.

As I say, early days. All the 3 rail Roco I have tried seems fine, as does all the 2 Rail DCC that I've tried so far.

If the Smartrail can't detect the address, then you don't appear to be able to run that loco at all, even using the Z21 App and manually entering the address.

Time to get yours out of the wooden crate Alan, and we can then swap notes and try to get things going. There seems little English support for these, and I guess at the original price of 1500 Euris they didn't exactly fly off the shelves. But like yourself, I aquired one on the cheap...and I am pleased with it so far.

Best Regards
Ashley
Offline Kerry POPE  
#10 Posted : 29 February 2016 22:04:16(UTC)
Kerry POPE

United Kingdom   
I attended the Eurotrack Show in Southampton, was disapointed to see no Marklin Layouts, but it was a good show, the only disapointment was the parking, and most people I spoke to thought the same.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 29 February 2016 23:44:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Alan,

As to the Smartrail, well I only received it on the Friday before the show, so I am still 'playing' so to speak!

So far I've had mixed results with my Marklin collection. There seems to be no obvious 'rule of thumb' as to whether a loco will be detected or not. The first item I tried, my Franco-Crosti 42.90 39160 could not be detected. However, my MfX UP Mikado works just fine. Then I tried an MfX Compact C Sine Class 64 39641, no joy with that one. So I thought maybe it's just C Sines that don't work as there is no resistance across the motor. But then my 39579 C Sine 103 worked just fine......Ho hum.

As I say, early days. All the 3 rail Roco I have tried seems fine, as does all the 2 Rail DCC that I've tried so far.

If the Smartrail can't detect the address, then you don't appear to be able to run that loco at all, even using the Z21 App and manually entering the address.

Time to get yours out of the wooden crate Alan, and we can then swap notes and try to get things going. There seems little English support for these, and I guess at the original price of 1500 Euris they didn't exactly fly off the shelves. But like yourself, I aquired one on the cheap...and I am pleased with it so far.

Best Regards
Ashley

OK, good to hear your experiences with it. I'll have to find some time to play.

Offline Harryv40  
#12 Posted : 01 March 2016 00:22:44(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
A pity I have read this thread too late or I could have met up with you Harry.
I was one of the operators on the Lulworth layout at the show. Not Marklin, or even continental!

But it would have been nice to chat to a fellow Marklinist. Maybe next year......

Agree about the parking, we had enough trouble as exhibitors early on the Saturday morning.

Overall, a great show and a pleasant venue apart from the aforementioned parking and also the lack of catering facilities, apart from drinks.

Best Regards
Ashley

Ashley, I did have a look at Lulworth and it looked very interesting. You are right about the food awful!! Try and get to the Exeter Show at the cattle market site, it was one of the best roast dinners I ever had, the lady serving the food must have been use to farming lads, talk about pile it up. The parking really needs a rethink, perhaps if the heritage bus service called at Sainsburys down the road, they have lots of parking, it would not be a problem.
One of the French traders, star boutique, delivered at my home, a Noch layout board, at silly money prices, with free delivery. I know Noch boards are not everyone's cup of tea, but kit bashing I am fine, landscaping awful!

If we remember next year we could p.m. Each other and meet up, it would be great to talk Marklin with someone!

Regards
Harry
Offline Rwill  
#13 Posted : 01 March 2016 09:37:33(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I looked at a very small traders stall - Weston models that was showing some very crisp card models. I thought I'll look them up on the internet later and have a proper look at the range. My googling seems to lead me to a different type of model altogether! or an entry that leads me back to the Eurotrack programme list of traders. Does any one know anything about these guys?
Offline Harryv40  
#14 Posted : 01 March 2016 23:46:20(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Rwill
I still got the show guide, it gives an e mail address of jeff283@btinternet.com. It says they are based in Totton near Southampton. I live near Totton but I don't know any shops selling card kits.
Good luck

Harry
Offline AshleyH  
#15 Posted : 02 March 2016 10:31:30(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Nothing wrong with the Novh layout boards Harry, I have two of them myself, the 81660 Muhital and the 81720 Schonmuhlen boards. I have mad a start with the 81660 in our back extension, just go get me up and running as a learning exercise before hopefully moving on to something bigger.

I had the 81660 delivered new and it came in a huge cardboard crate in a wooden frame, so be prepared as it blocked our hallway! The other layout 82720 I picked up on eBay and we drove to collect it. Be prepared to do some packing out and levelling of the track to get decent running though. You are also going to need a hot glue gun for assembly. I would also recommend doing as we did and mounting it to a stronger wooden frame to give it some rigidity and robustness. Unless you are planning on getting the aluminium leg and frame kit, but thetpy are expensive. I found some nice adjustable metal legs in B&Q for about £8 each.

Let us know how you get on with it. Have you received it already or is it on order?

Best Regards
Ashley
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshleyH
Offline Harryv40  
#16 Posted : 03 March 2016 20:25:58(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Nothing wrong with the Novh layout boards Harry, I have two of them myself, the 81660 Muhital and the 81720 Schonmuhlen boards. I have mad a start with the 81660 in our back extension, just go get me up and running as a learning exercise before hopefully moving on to something bigger.

I had the 81660 delivered new and it came in a huge cardboard crate in a wooden frame, so be prepared as it blocked our hallway! The other layout 82720 I picked up on eBay and we drove to collect it. Be prepared to do some packing out and levelling of the track to get decent running though. You are also going to need a hot glue gun for assembly. I would also recommend doing as we did and mounting it to a stronger wooden frame to give it some rigidity and robustness. Unless you are planning on getting the aluminium leg and frame kit, but thetpy are expensive. I found some nice adjustable metal legs in B&Q for about £8 each.

Let us know how you get on with it. Have you received it already or is it on order?

Best Regards
Ashley

Hi Ashley
Great minds think alike, I received my Muhital board on Last Friday from Star Boutique, they are at the Eurotrack show, so drop it off on they way and I felt the price was very reasonable, 469 Euros and free delivery. I hope the bracing with the board is easy to locate! I plan to get a new glue gun!

In terms of frames I made my own from alunimum and some plastic joints, they cut the alloy to my own size, £60 and £25 for the blocks and four feet stops.

I am not great at landscaping so any advice from that prospective would be good. I have a trip to Swizterland in April, 5 days, William Tell, Bermina and Glazier express trips reserved . I also hope to visit some model shops, in Lucerne, Chur and Andermatt, in fact I fly out from Bournemouth.

Did you use Marklin C Track? How did it go down? Did you just use cardboard for packing?

Some so many questions.

Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40