Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 23 February 2016 09:29:05(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
A local Dutch train has crashed at Dalfsen,it ran into agricultural equipment freely translated as cherry-picker.
Several units toppled over.
Further news to follow.

Update: entire train toppled over,now in a paddock near the track.
About 10 ambulance cars at the spot,also an emergency helicopter.

Update: one person said to be killed,most likely the traindriver,cabin completely smashed.

Update: several passengers wounded,3 people taken to hospital.
Cherry-picker waited at secured crossing for a train to pass,thence it moved slowly over the crossing,only to meet a train from the opposite direction.
The single track section has one train in each direction per hour,two trains each direction during rush hours.

http://nos.nl/artikel/20...reinongeluk-dalfsen.html

Edited by user 23 February 2016 13:49:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 23 February 2016 13:12:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
oooh, made a right 'ol mess of everything. Lucky there wern't more serious injuries the way the train has toppled on its side.

It looks like it would have been going at a fair pace at time of impact considering how far it slid across the field.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 23 February 2016 13:53:10(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
My guestimate is 100 km/h.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2016 18:18:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
My guestimate is 100 km/h.

Looking at some aerial footage on the BBC web site, it is lucky the train didn't hit the farmhouse at the railway crossing.

Offline Jay  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2016 18:44:01(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
It would be amazing if the crane driver escaped with his life.Report says that only the train driver died.
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2016 20:10:43(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Jay Go to Quoted Post
It would be amazing if the crane driver escaped with his life.Report says that only the train driver died.

The crane driver saw the train coming and jumped off in time.

Authorities are hopeful to recover the dashcam from the train.

The killed train driver was a 49 year old male from Kampen,looking at his age,he must have been an experienced driver,my respect.

Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2016 21:55:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Unfortunately, collisions between trucks trains are fairly common down here, but the results at the train end rarely result in the locomotive flying off the track as the case with this one.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 23 February 2016 22:41:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I think that this is a better picture from the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) News site.

UserPostedImage

I think it is these types of events that prevent Australia from having a real inter-City high speed rail service.. The cost of elevating the track to prevent trucks, cows and other wildlife colliding with the train would be mind-boggling.. Blink
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2016 08:06:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Aim overhere is to do away with all level crossings but this will not be a priority for rural areas such the one in this case.
The crossing was protected with bells and lights and the cranedriver was well aware of that because he waited for the first train to pass.
It took so much time to move the crane over the crossing that he did not expect to meet the other train.
These local rural crossings can be pretty steep and perhaps he was cautious not to touch the 1,500 VDC overhead wires!
Peculiar enough,it is a straight piece of track and the weather was clear and sunny,the traindriver must have seen the blockage coming.

There is a danger with these local single track sections in that when you drive them daily they become rather boring because usually nothing at all happens,apart from being looked at by gazing cows.

Very sad accident.
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2016 13:43:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
WTF? Look both ways people.

I live out in a rural area of Southwest Ohio. Yes, there are some small pockets left where your neighbor is 1/2 mile away. 30 odd years ago we had an unprotected level crossing (like my use of the British term?). There were signs identifying the crossing, but nothing that actively monitored for the presence of a locomotive. The tracks to the Southeast had high brush growing on both sides of the right of way that obstructed your view of an approaching locomotive. You could not see one until it was nearly at the crossing. You had to stop and look to be safe. My dad would simply "listen" for the warning horn from the locomotive. One day he almost got hit and he was upset they did not sound their horn. I stated that "They most likely did, you just did not hear it. But if they didn't sound the horn, you could claim to be an 'in the right' dead man".
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2016 14:24:51(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Full investigations are under way.
The driver of the crane will be prosecuted for manslaughter,a formal procedure just to protect the rights of all involved.
Already now,local authorities say that the crane driver should have obtained formal permission to cross at that point.
This in the knowledge that each day dozens of peculiar vehicles cross railway crossings without problem.

These modern local trains,this time a Stadler GTW,can be very quick in appearing out of nowhere,giving little time to respond in case of emergency.

Vechtdallijn: Vecht is a local river,dal means valley,lijn means line,in short "Vecht valley line".
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2016 14:53:14(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I think that this is a better picture from the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) News site.

UserPostedImage

I think it is these types of events that prevent Australia from having a real inter-City high speed rail service.. The cost of elevating the track to prevent trucks, cows and other wildlife colliding with the train would be mind-boggling.. Blink

That looks like a still from the video on the BBC link I posted.

You can see why i think the farm buildings were not struck by the train. It wouldn't have taken much for the first coach to skew off the track some faster and take out that building nearest the track.

And in a non-train related incident, there is a big incident in my own back yard.