Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2016 05:44:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just got a few of the 47051 NS Sgns container cars and I had the chance to examine them alongside models of the same type of car by Roco and Fleischmann.
The first thing that I have to mention is that each car uses a different design to hold the containers in place. The Maerklin one has little sockets in the car floor, the Fleischmann one has little pins that stick up. The Roco model has two rectangular pins that hold the container in place.

Prototypically, I guess the Roco model is the most detailed. As far as ease of use and overall appearance, I find the Maerklin model is a good one. It can be used with 3 20ft containers, 2 20ft containers or 1 40 or 45ft container. The Roco car can only be used with the type of container it came with, as the pins are set for that size. The Fleischmann car has an alignment of pins that makes it difficult to use containers other than their own, but I managed to use it with a combined 40ft (Fleischmann) container and a Herpa 20 ft one. The Herpa container can only be used in the outer position due to the position of the pins. The Fleischmann containers have sockets on the bottom at mid container, whereas Herpa and other 40ft containers do not and cannot therefore sit on the Fleischmann car.

These are the following models that I compared.

Fleischmann 5808: Set with DB car with MSC Container and Hupac Car with Geest container
Fleischmann 5241 SBB Cargo 20ft containers
Roco 66620 SBB Cargo 20ft containers
Roco 66621 SBB with Danzas 20ft containers
Roco 67444 AAE with Crossrail 20ft containers
Maerklin 47051.001 AAE with Samskip 45ft container
Maerklin 47051.004 AAE with VandenBosch 20ft containers
Maerklin 47070 SBB Cargo with Crossrail 20ft containers

The Fleischmann model is plastic. The Roco and Maerklin ones are metal.
The Maerklin car body looks a little unusual when using a single 40ft container as cutouts to access the coupler spring are left visible.
Other than that, all models are relatively well rendered, but I think that I have to give the edge to the Maerklin model due to the largest compatibility with different size containers. The cars with 20ft containers come with pin adapters to use Herpa containers that come with sockets.

I will try to add some photos. In the meantime, here are some photo links:
Maerklin 47051: http://grootendorst.net/.../uploads/MA47051.001.jpg
FLM 5241: http://e.bournez.free.fr/Images/FLE5241.jpg
Roco 66620: http://e.bournez.free.fr/Images/ROC66620.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Bart  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2016 15:38:48(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Finally got them! The now hard to get 47051.001 and .004
Harlaar in Badhoevedorp (Netherlands) still had a few in stock.

UserPostedImage
*Bart
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline mmervine  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2016 13:03:06(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Bart-glad you were able to get these cars. I was able to pick up the Samskip one when I was in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. Harlaar is a great shop with some really nice folks working there!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2016 14:05:44(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Nice container wagons!
I have a container train (intermodal train for North Americans)
It is a mix of Marklin and Piko.
I also have extra contains from Walthers and others.
I have fun moving the containers around.
Yes the pins don't always line up but it does not matter.

I use the Woodland senics A198 on the corners. It is a friction type of glue used primarily to allow Preiserlings to move around and stay put. (Noch Hin und Weg would also work)

I would pull the container off the car and put in another one and "rub" it in place.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2016 05:28:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The Roco containers are very finicky to mount on the cars. The Maerklin cars work well with containers that have the little feet. For other containers, you can use adapters like the ones that come with the 47051.003 and 004 cars. Herpa also sells separate ones for 40ft containers. I have a set on order so that I can put some of my other containers to use. This would work for 40 and 45 ft containers which have the same mountings. I have not seen the adapters for 20ft containers separately.
I was impressed with the look of the Kombimodell offerings, but have held back on further acquisitions because of damage in shipping, which was due to poor packaging design. I will be trying to order replacement buffers and railings to repair the damaged cars in the near future. I had ordered 4 and the first one that I examined needed a new railing which was shipped by the dealer. The little pins on the railing broke in the mail and I had to request a reship. The second one arrived intact and when I wanted to remove the car from the packaging to install the new railing, I discovered that the other end of the car had damaged buffers. I then inspected the rest of the shipment and found more damage. I was able to put two of the four into service using parts from the other two, but need the parts to put the last two into service. The packaging design uses a cardboard slider with stapled in place plastic dividers that are supposed to hold the contents in place, but in my case, they caused damage to the buffers and the railings as the package was jostled. Since it had taken so long to get the parts for the first car, I will buy the parts as I should have checked them all on delivery.

Harald's suggestion about using fixative to hold the container in place will work when mounting a container with sockets on a car with sockets, but could be problematic if the car has pins and the container has feet as well, or if trying to mount containers on Roco cars that are completely incompatible due to the location of the Roco pins.

It can be fun to move containers around, but I try to keep the pins, sockets matched with cars that accept that type of mounting.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline LeoArietis  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2016 00:28:54(UTC)
LeoArietis

Sweden   
I often use blue-tac (sticky clay?) to secure containers on the wagons.

I'm suprised that Roco uses the wiered pins in the middle. I makes the wagons unsuable for any other container, and it looks bad when not loaded. Usually Roco produces nice looking wagons and locos, but here I think they failed by going with this center-pin option.

I think the alternativs from Rocky Rail is better than Roco when it comes to container and combi- and Taschen-wagons.

That dutch set 47051 looks really nice!
Current layout:
http://www.svensktmjforu.../index.php?topic=10990.0
The former project:
http://www.svensktmjforu...forum_posts.asp?TID=1097
With Pictures and trackplans, but in Swedish
Transitation-curves in C-track:
https://www.marklin-user...9-on-75-cm.aspx#post9281
Offline mmervine  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2016 21:51:26(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
I use containers from a number of different manufacturers on my Marklin cars (AWM, Herpa, Roco, LS Models, etc.). I use .040" (1mm) plastic rod to make posts. Here is a Roco and an AWM container with posts added. These will match up perfectly for use on the Markin Sgns cars.

r/mark

IMG_20160313_164700[1].jpg
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 02 April 2016 05:30:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I finally got around to snapping a few pics. Here are some of my (47051) Dutch AAE cars with Samskip and Van den Bosch containers being pulled by one of my recent acquisitions, the Roco 78593 Re 620 X-Rail

SBB Cargo Re 620 KLV Samskip.1.jpg

SBB Cargo Re 460 KLV Samskip.2.jpg

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c