Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 08 February 2016 01:43:53(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Here, both german and US modellers hate my Union Pacific / Deutsche Bahn mixed setup, to the point some people calls it heresy. Despite their criticism doesn't affect my sleep, I feel curious.

What's your opinion about mixing roads or epocas on the same layout?
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2016 02:17:30(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I don't see anything wrong with it. If it makes you happy and you enjoy it, do it. Peter ThumpUp Smile
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by petestra
Offline analogmike  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2016 02:27:50(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
I run my Santa Fe f-7 a-b-b-a right along with the German stuff. However, I won't mix USA/Euro equipment in the same consist. Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Hackcell  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2016 02:33:29(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
I run my Santa Fe f-7 a-b-b-a right along with the German stuff. However, I won't mix USA/Euro equipment in the same consist. Mikey

Totally agree with the rolling stock segregation.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:29:15(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Keep on mixing any way you like, Danilo. ThumpUp

This is a hobby, not a religion Scared , and too many people forget it.

I was actually criticized by a very nice guy because I put together those great Regio by-level wagons with a loco that apparently only pulls freight cars. LOL

I then placed my FS 424 pulling those wagons, just for the fun of it and the old and the new together look like a million bucks.

There are no rules, unless YOU want to make them because it pleases you to have these rules.

Ciao.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline witzlerh  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:54:15(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
At home on your own layout..do what you want and have fun with it.

At train shows, be a little sensitive. There are number of guests where "alles ist in ordnung" (everything must be in order).Angry

Unless you are one of those that don't give a damn and still will have fun anyway.Flapper The fun is very important....Laugh ThumpUp
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Hackcell  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:49:07(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
At home on your own layout..do what you want and have fun with it.

At train shows, be a little sensitive. There are number of guests where "alles ist in ordnung" (everything must be in order).Angry

Unless you are one of those that don't give a damn and still will have fun anyway.Flapper The fun is very important....Laugh ThumpUp

Actually, a few weeks ago I was asked "why do you have german and american trains running with german signals and looking for structures similar than the ones used here (Costa Rica)?"
My reply was "because I want it".
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2016 08:44:02(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
I don't have a permanent layout yet.
I consider making a W shaped layout or a U shaped layout and build one half for era III and one half for era V, all with German details.
Era III trains on the wrong half will be museum trains, era V trains on the wrong half will be science fiction.
US trains will look strange anywhere on the layout. Maybe I will include a "neutral" section with just grass, sand, and such where BR 44, ICE 3 and Big Boy will look OK.

I try to avoid too much mixing within a single train. But I take liberties. The BR 10 never pulled popwagen trains because it failed too early. In my small world they do.

People choose different approaches for their layouts - and any approach is OK.
You can make a "Summer of '62" layout and only use rolling stock as it ran in Germany in '62.
You can make a "Germany era 3a" layout.

You decide how perfect you want to have it. I have heard about layouts where the signals can be replaced for either era II or era III sessions. Era II is not that important for me and era III signals will do for me.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2016 09:46:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It depends on whether you want to have a toy train layout or a model railway. Both are OK but follow different rules/philosophies.

On a toy train layout you can run whatever you want. It's your world and the rules are made up in your head as you go. The most important aspect here is to have fun.

On a model railway you are trying to re-create a scene from a real railway. The more accurate you can be the more realistic it will look. Some model railways are "freelance" and don't follow a real prototype, but the convention here is that there must be a "back story" that explains what runs on the railway.

My own layout is a compromise in that I would like to have a proper model railway but don't want to tie myself down to one place at one time. Nominally it is DB Era III, and the buildings, signals catenary etc reflect this. However I like to run trains from different eras and different countries, so sometimes I back-date it to Era I or post date it to Era VI, or change the location to France, Belgium, Switzerland etc. I sometimes go as far as changing the road vehicles to more appropriate models, but the rest of the layout stays the same and I have to imagine that it's correct.

My own rule for this compromise is that I won't run, at the same time, two trains that are more than one era or one country away from each other.

I have no US trains at the moment, but if I do I would look at getting three or four trains so that I could run an "All American" scenario
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2016 09:54:22(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I usually use only locos and rolling stock from one country and era at the same time on my layout. But in "my world" it´s totally possible to have some trains from other countrys too. If I run German trains there can well be French, Austrian, Luxembourg or Swiss trains also as these countrys are so close to Germany. I like also to mix Swedish and Norwegian trains as I haven´t so much of them. I can also use rolling stock from different countrys. I don´t own any American trains as all are from Europe. When I run old era trains I remove too new autos from my layout to give "old time" feeling. But I still have those Märklin My World signals... Laugh

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline witzlerh  
#11 Posted : 08 February 2016 17:15:59(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
In prototype, there have been some mixes too. Ontario Northland had the TEE train set for a number of years. The original diesels did not last the 1st winter and were replaced with F units.

Amtrak was serious enough about the ICE that a train set was brought over. What would have happened if Amtrak would have kept it? (more reliable loks for sure!)
Amtrak had Swedish Electric loks for many years and now uses the new Siemens loks. (they are replacing the made in america problem loks at a fast pace)

Most of the schnabel cars in NA are made in Europe. The odd GE lok was in Europe (NS1200's). Krauss Maffai had some Diesel Hydraulics running in NA (Southern Pacific I believe?)

All model railroads are a stretch of the imagination. The trick is how much to stretch and still enjoy it.

My current imagination is this. A bunch of German railway engineers got fed up with Hitler, emigrated to Canada and started a railway through BC..... Fast forward to the modern age....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2016 18:43:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
In prototype, there have been some mixes too. Ontario Northland had the TEE train set for a number of years. The original diesels did not last the 1st winter and were replaced with F units.

Amtrak was serious enough about the ICE that a train set was brought over. What would have happened if Amtrak would have kept it? (more reliable loks for sure!)
Amtrak had Swedish Electric loks for many years and now uses the new Siemens loks. (they are replacing the made in america problem loks at a fast pace)

Most of the schnabel cars in NA are made in Europe. The odd GE lok was in Europe (NS1200's). Krauss Maffai had some Diesel Hydraulics running in NA (Southern Pacific I believe?)

All model railroads are a stretch of the imagination. The trick is how much to stretch and still enjoy it.

My current imagination is this. A bunch of German railway engineers got fed up with Hitler, emigrated to Canada and started a railway through BC..... Fast forward to the modern age....

Don't forget that following WW2 there was a fair amount of US originated locos and stock in Europe to transport themselves across the country as they pushed the Germans back.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:20:43(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Here, both german and US modellers hate my Union Pacific / Deutsche Bahn mixed setup, to the point some people calls it heresy. Despite their criticism doesn't affect my sleep, I feel curious.

Hi Danilo,
For many who run model trains, the mixture of what they run, can be the result of limited supply or availability.
In which case you run what you can.

I have always had the ability to choose what I buy, so I get a lot of pleasure from planning the mix of engines and trains for a particular era, or even a particular year.
Other people might find that boring, and it would make the hobby very limiting for them.

I don't believe there are any rules as to what creates pleasure for you in railway modelling.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Alsterstreek  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:33:25(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Krauss Maffai had some Diesel Hydraulics running in NA (Southern Pacific I believe?)

Yep:
2-img083.jpg

And D&RGW had three units which were passed on to SP.

Further, Estrada de Ferro Vitória a Minas of Brazil had meter gauge units.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#15 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:46:03(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Don't forget that following WW2 there was a fair amount of US originated locos and stock in Europe to transport themselves across the country as they pushed the Germans back.

And even later:
a_Z-EB-BW-V-1818-US-Wt-Oberbarmen-CB-JB-898-586.jpgwbusaf10.jpgustc4010-1972.png
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#16 Posted : 08 February 2016 23:52:23(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
And the other way round:
l522006.jpg
"L52 2006. A day or two after I arrived at Ft. Eustis in 1952, we were loaded on a truck and taken out into the woods to do brush cutting. As we passed Rifle Range Junction, I saw two German locomotives and a motor train. When I got back at week end, the streamlined 2-8-2 was scrapped, but the L52-KON Kreigsloco and the motor train were still there. They were gone shortly afterwards. Look at that huge condensing tender. The L52-KON was a simplified variant derived from the standard freight type class 50 according to Ewald."
Source: http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr2593.htm
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2016 00:16:40(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
BTW, there is a similar thread here:
https://www.marklin-user...-Prototypes-for-your-MRR
Offline SteamNut  
#18 Posted : 09 February 2016 00:59:57(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I believe that whatever as person wants to do with their layout is fine with me and so should it be for everyone else. There is room for everyone in this hobby. That being said one can say the prototype most likely did it to somewhere there always seems to be a exception to the rule . Some people say that trains running on their layout that are not true to prototype are special museum runs to keep it true.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline PJMärklin  
#19 Posted : 09 February 2016 12:48:32(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Hello,

My philosophy here (IMHO) is to do whatever makes you happy and I think this is at the heart of railway modelling.

If to have a perfect scaled replication of rivet-counting is your thing; if a C-track layout quickly laid up on the kitchen table before teardown to run some lovely lighted tin carriages at midnight is your thing; if to only admire priceless models never to leave your display cabinet shelf is your thing; if to run a simple layout solely because you enjoy the mechanics, electrical engineering, electronics and control of the whole works is your thing; if to run model trains with all the conceivable sounds and noises available through digital control is your thing so be it - to each his/her own !!

To put it another way and to paraphrase from the musical "Hair" : " do what you want so long as it doesn't hurt anybody" !!!!

Happy modelleisenbahn to you,

Regards,

PJ
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:34:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I love your sentiment, P.J., BigGrin ThumpUp

but you you may be surprised how many people in this hobby can be downright nasty and disgusting to anyone who does anything different from what they do. Scared

And this is just in an innocuous thing as a model train hobby. Imagine on more serious matters, like soccer (I think you guys call it football) LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline foumaro  
#21 Posted : 09 February 2016 19:45:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Run your trains anyway you like,it is just a game.BigGrin LOL ThumpUp
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline RayF  
#22 Posted : 09 February 2016 20:08:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
Run your trains anyway you like,it is just a game.BigGrin LOL ThumpUp

Exactly! It's a game.

This game is quite special because everyone can write the rules as they see fit. I have my own set of rules as I set out above. They are rules for my layout, and not meant to apply to anybody else!

Even children create rules for their play, and these rules can change from one minute to the next, as I remember from watching my kids when they were little.

My point is that I prefer to see trains that are consistent, as these are the rules I apply to my play, and so it seems strange to me to see foreign trains together on a layout as I wouldn't normally see that. However, I know that others might play to different rules and to them my way of running might seem restrictive.

To each his own.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline skeeterbuck  
#23 Posted : 09 February 2016 22:35:57(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
This is my philosophy: I'll start worrying about what other people say about how I run my trains when they start buying them for me. Wink

Being a yank, I'm not very familiar with German railroad practices anyway, so I wouldn't be able to be too prototypical even f I wanted to. Laugh

Chuck
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 10 February 2016 08:16:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Being a yank, I'm not very familiar with German railroad practices anyway, so I wouldn't be able to be too prototypical even f I wanted to.
Being a kraut, I'm not very familiar with American railroad practices, but I try my best with respect to American trains - I do what I assume to be correct, but my assumptions may be wrong. With respect to German railroad practices in eras 1 through 3 I only can follow hearsay. And my memories about era IV are not always accurate.

When others criticize my train compositions then the first impulse is "How dare they criticize my train?"
They mean it well, so I take no offence.
I don't have much US rolling stock, I don't have much German era II rolling stock and compromises cannot be avoided.

Sometimes simple changes can make a train more authentic: different order of coaches, one coach more or one coach less, maybe a different locomotive.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#25 Posted : 10 February 2016 14:55:44(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
When others criticize my train compositions then the first impulse is "How dare they criticize my train?"
They mean it well, so I take no offence.

You must be a saint! LOL

(And don't be too sure that "they meant it well"....)Wink
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline BrandonVA  
#26 Posted : 16 February 2016 16:15:59(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Mixed eras and roads? Never!

UserPostedImage

Nevermind the BR86 and battery ICE in the background ;)
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA