Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dennisb  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2016 10:00:04(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Good morning!

Since I was a kid I've always had a thing for the might DB BR 103. It's always been one of my favourite locos. Since getting back to model railway about two years ago I've been looking at them but since they really don't fit my era I've kind of put it aside. Recently I found out that a few of the BR 103's are still in service running IC trains. That's great news. Then I don't need an excuse for myself anymore running one in my Era VI :) But I get a bit puzzled, how are they supposed to look these days and is there a good model to buy?

When I look online for picture of the prototype they seems to have the DB logo in either new (orient red and white) or old (purple red and beige). Anyone knows what is correct? Both it seems like, or?

BR 103 new logo
With the new logo.

BR 103 with old logo
With old logo.

If it is the case that the train can have the old or the new logo comes the next question for me, which to pick? For me the new logo would make it more fitting and apparent that it is a modern version. The old logo would make it a little bit easier to run it as an era IV train with some TEE wagons from time to time.

Roco seems to have made a very nice model of the ERA VI model with the old logo with item no 78314 Roco 78314.. Roco seems to make a DC version with the new logo but is there an AC version as well?
Piko seems to be making a model of the version with new logo coming Q3 2016, Piko BR 103.
Are there other alternatives to consider? Pros and cons? I don't have any expert series Piko locos since before, only a hobby loco and that one is not impressing me at all. Are the Expert series mcu different?

Does anyone of you have some experience with these "modern" BR 103's? What would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Dennis

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2016 13:09:57(UTC)
H0

Hi, Dennis,

You have to decide how authentic you want to have it.

E 03 001 in era V looked much like it did in era III. So an era III model would be good enough for me run an era V train.
The front skirt was removed and an extra handrail was added at the front. Era IV versions sometimes are like this and can be used for era V/VI trains with little compromise.

Those I photographed myself all had the old logo with serifs, some red, some black. I don't think I have a photo with the new sans-serif logo.
I think your two pictures both show the old logo.

I have Roco 69747, a model of E 03 001 as she looked in era V.

An incomplete list of models can be found here:
http://www.modellbau-wiki.de/wiki/E_03
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline dennisb  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2016 16:41:42(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi Tom!

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it a lot! The Roco 69747 seems like a nice model. Roco seems to be the ones making the best 103's. The question is just, long or short version? :)

BR
Dennis
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2016 17:00:33(UTC)
H0

The question is: pre-series, short main-series, long main-series.
Other question: classic paint scheme, oriental red with Bundesbahn logo, oriental red with DB AG logo, traffic red, or so.

The difference between short and long is small. I don't have a long 103 yet.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dennisb  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2016 20:17:22(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The question is: pre-series, short main-series, long main-series.
Other question: classic paint scheme, oriental red with Bundesbahn logo, oriental red with DB AG logo, traffic red, or so.

The difference between short and long is small. I don't have a long 103 yet.

Haha! Well, classic paint scheme it is! But I must say that I really like the dark blue 50 years Märklin model as well. But no, classic paint scheme it is :)
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#6 Posted : 07 February 2016 23:54:18(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   

BigGrin
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline Alberto Pedrini  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2016 23:57:35(UTC)
Alberto Pedrini

Italy   
My opinion, the best: Märklin 39579 metal body with piezo pantograph and Csinus
after that all the others

http://www.marklinfan.net/db_br103.htm
Alberto

Marklinfan Club Italia
www.marklinfan.net
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Alberto Pedrini
Offline dennisb  
#8 Posted : 08 February 2016 22:09:25(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Alberto Pedrini Go to Quoted Post
My opinion, the best: Märklin 39579 metal body with piezo pantograph and Csinus
after that all the others

http://www.marklinfan.net/db_br103.htm

Seems like a nice model! Any idea if it's easy or hard to change decoder and install sound in that one?
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 08 February 2016 22:19:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dennisb Go to Quoted Post
Any idea if it's easy or hard to change decoder and install sound in that one?
It's nearly impossible to replace the decoder of C-Sine models with fx decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2016 20:02:17(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Which is why I went with the 37577. You give up the c-sine wave motors for the modern 'high efficiency' digital motors, but gain all the mfx features, and in my thinking I personally would likely get more enjoyment from the modern decoder features than the smoother start from the c-sine.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline dennisb  
#11 Posted : 09 February 2016 23:28:18(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
I understand what you mean. That's why I leaning towards the Roco. My experience with modern Roco locos are that they are just as smooth and quiet as my (very few) c-sine locos. And it seems on the you tube reviews that the sound is also very good. It's always a compromise and what are the priorities I guess is different from person to person. That's why I love such place bacause I learn so much based on your input and can value that a lot in my own decision process. Thanks!
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2016 07:49:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Dennis,

just a thought. If you were looking for something cool and different, go for either the 39579 with the working pantographs or for the Roco model with Camera.

Either way it will be something special on your layout. The only downside about the 39579 is that there are no longer any parts for the piezo motor for the pantos.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 11 February 2016 08:02:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The only downside about the 39579 is that there are no longer any parts for the piezo motor for the pantos.
The only other downside are the yellow LEDs. And it has visible screws on the roof (invisible with later Märklin models). And it's a bit too short (like all Märklin models of the BR 103).

With respect to Dennis' requirements, it has another downside: the front skirt that was removed (IIRC sometime in the '80s). Era V museum locos often have the classic cream/red paint scheme, but I think they never have the closed skirt.
But I think the skirt can simply be taken off.

If good sound is important: Piko makes the BR 103 in the correct length - some come with ESU sound decoder, the others are prepared for ESU sound (Piko offer ESU sound decoders with pre-installed sounds (cannot be updated) and a fitting speaker).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage