Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2016 20:30:57(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Just got back from a local train show (fair) and picked up some old kits at what I consider great prices. Only problem is that the Vollmer train shed kit is a "add on" kit designed to extend the normal train shed kit. I was looking to get a complete kit. Oh well Sad My friend also bought 2 boxes of Kibri fir trees and the dealer sold it all to us for $30. I checked them out and they are all complete with the exception that the fountain is missing the pump motor. I couldn't tell for sure if it was supposed to be there or be purchased separately.

Do you think I did OK?

Chuck

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline Br502362  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2016 20:48:23(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi Chuck,

30$ for all those kits??? What a puchase Drool
You lucky guy. That's really a great finding!!!

Lets see what Marco has to say BigGrin

Enjoy your kits.

Cheers
Åke
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2016 20:53:20(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chuck,

Enjoy your kits.

Cheers
Åke

Hi Ake,

I really only paid $20 as my friend gave me $10 for the 2 boxes of Kibri trees that he wanted. I had a feeling that was a good deal. I think the Shell Petrol Station and fountain are rather hard to find.

Would it be a crime to build them? RollEyes

Thanks!

Chuck
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2016 20:55:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great find.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Br502362  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2016 21:14:52(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Br502362 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Chuck,

Enjoy your kits.

Cheers
Åke

Hi Ake,

I really only paid $20 as my friend gave me $10 for the 2 boxes of Kibri trees that he wanted. I had a feeling that was a good deal. I think the Shell Petrol Station and fountain are rather hard to find.

Thanks!

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

If you are not going to sell some of them I would build them and keep the boxes Love

Cheers
Åke
Offline kweekalot  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2016 21:48:47(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Do you think I did OK?
Woot ThumpUp
YES !!!! You did very well, great find indeed and all your kits have red item numbers, so the early versions that I like best.
The B-162 'Hans im Glück' fountain did not contain the water pump, that was obtainable seperately as #625/626.
I think the most wanted kit in your lot is B-217, fair value for an early unbuilt B-217 is at least € 75.

Marco
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2016 21:56:22(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Only Twenty Dollars!! ...rub it in. Great find. Build them all, of course!
And if you want to make back your money, I will take the Shell Petrol Station for $20. Wink

One of may favorite reasons for going to shows is finding old kits.
I am kicking myself for not picking up a Faller B-231 with the better cylindar motor for $15 CDN (so $10 US) at a show. We rushed out quickly and I had my hands full. If it was me driving instead of my buddy, I would have gone back. Even though I already have one that my Dad made as a kid in pretty good condition. Sits on my shelf as a memory to my Dad building it on the dinning room table. I wanted to repeat the experience with my girls. (Like I don't have enough kits already RollEyes)
- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline skeeterbuck  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2016 22:41:40(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Do you think I did OK?
Woot ThumpUp
YES !!!! You did very well, great find indeed and all your kits have red item numbers, so the early versions that I like best.
The B-162 'Hans im Glück' fountain did not contain the water pump, that was obtainable seperately as #625/626.
I think the most wanted kit in your lot is B-217, fair value for an early unbuilt B-217 is at least € 75.

Marco

The interesting thing is that the fountain and Shell station I really have no need. I just bought them because I thought that they were neat looking. Cool I would have thought that the fountain would have been the rarest of the items I bought.

The others, I have plans to use on my next layout build.

The guy selling these must have had about 100 or so old kits. he said that he had purchased a collection, but it looked to me that he had bought the contents of a old hobby shop. All the Faller were red numbers and the Volmer and Kibri were also old style boxes. Most were train stations, houses and shops which I had no need.

Realizing what Marco says the Shell station is worth, I'm sorry I didn't buy more. Cursing I'm really not into buying train stuff just to turn it around and sell it for profit. This is my hobby, not my business. That said, not that I know what it may be worth, I guess I really won't build it now. Sad Sometimes the "collectibility" of our hobby takes the fun out of it.

Chuck
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2016 22:56:08(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Do you think I did OK?
Woot ThumpUp

Marco

The interesting thing is that the fountain and Shell station I really have no need. I just bought them because I thought that they were neat looking. Cool

The others, I have plans to use on my next layout build.

Chuck

Chuck,

Keep them in the closet for your next layout or extension... you may not think about it now, but... Personally, I regret having sold some of my models at shows; even they were old and poorly built. There is always kitbashing for worn down old models, and to do a good job of that without spending an arm and a leg, you want to use your old built, glue-stained or broken models you might pick up at a show for next to nothing or a bit more than nothing, if its worth repairing.

I have rather nice Pola Esso station that matches the 50s look. Even though a shell station would be nice addition, I'd have to be feeling really flush to pay $75 at this stage of my stock. The market is the market though.

- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline waltklatt  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2016 16:12:46(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Wow, Chuck, we must have missed each other at the same show.
The two tables with 4 boxes of Home Depot litho on them were almost empty.
Grabbed 14 of the old Faller boxes of small houses and trainstation and crossing for $65.
Got a discount of $5.-.
Also found one Vau-Pe small home box there too.
All boxes are complete except two which were missing a window in one and a door in another.
Can be found from my leftovers box.

Really looking for the small log cabin model and wide wooden foot bridge, as my layout is an alpine setting in Switzerland.

Maybe we can meet up at another show.

Best,
Walter
Offline skeeterbuck  
#11 Posted : 08 February 2016 04:47:19(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: waltklatt Go to Quoted Post
Wow, Chuck, we must have missed each other at the same show.
The two tables with 4 boxes of Home Depot litho on them were almost empty.
Grabbed 14 of the old Faller boxes of small houses and trainstation and crossing for $65.
Got a discount of $5.-.
Also found one Vau-Pe small home box there too.
All boxes are complete except two which were missing a window in one and a door in another.
Can be found from my leftovers box.

Really looking for the small log cabin model and wide wooden foot bridge, as my layout is an alpine setting in Switzerland.

Maybe we can meet up at another show.

Best,
Walter

Yea Walter that guys stuff was really selling like hot cakes. While I was waiting in line to get in there was another guy that passed me with a whole hand load of Faller kits. I was thinking that he must have bought out the whole show. Boy was I wrong! BigGrin I just wish I would have gotten there just a little earlier as the guy in front of me bought a Vollmer engine house that I saw just as he was picking it up. I glad for the several of nice kits I was able to find.
The rest of the show was kinda a bust for me as the only other items I bought were several bottles of paint. I was hoping to pick up some freight cars and maybe track but no luck. The good thing about most shows around here is that the "foreign trains" are not highly sought after making them usually good bargains. On the other hand, some dealers think that there rather rare and ask way more than the going market price.

Send me a PM for the next show you plan to attend in the area and maybe we can meet up. I'd like be able to talk Marklin etc as all my other friends only do American model trains.

Chuck