Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jwalt2065  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2016 05:27:50(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Hello,
My name is John and I am new to the forum.

I have a 60213 HW ver.3.4. Ever since I updated the software to 2.0.1 several years ago, I started getting a TFP error saying I cannot run locos and use accessories.
I tried updating the TFP when it asks if I want to, but no bars ever light up in the bar graph. I let it sit for quite a long time and nothing happens.
Although I get this message, the unit still operated my layout just fine.
I updated the sw several times since then, the last being to ver. 3.7.0 and have the same issue with the TFP error message coming up but the unit worked fine.
I just updated to sw ver. 4.1.0 and still get the TFP error message but now I can't operate the trains or track.
The unit still won't update the TFP when I tell it to.

If anyone has any suggestions, I appreciate the help.
Thanks

John

Edited by moderator 02 February 2016 10:10:22(UTC)  | Reason: Created new topic from original message

Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2016 17:45:14(UTC)
Goofy

It seems you have problem with the RSS feed in yours computer,by download program from Märklin to the CSx.
Try to turn off RSS feed and download again the program to the CSx.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2016 18:13:09(UTC)
H0

Hi, John!
Welcome to the forum!

I remember that Francisco (franciscohg) had some trouble with the Track Format Processor. If I remember correctly he has no more issues with the current TFP.
I searched, but didn't find the thread where he wrote about the problems. I think he once sent his CS2 back to Germany and later did a few downgrades to work around the TFP not available problem. Maybe he can share a link.

Version 3.7 is still available on Märklin's site for USB thumb drive updates. Trying a downgrade to version 3.7 is one option.
I don't know if there are any risks with respect to downgrading. Maybe other members can share own experience.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jwalt2065  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2016 04:39:07(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Hi and thanks for the replies.

I have version 3.7 on a thumb drive and have downgraded from 4.1 to 3.7 a couple times now.
I have just the .tgz file on the drive. Do I need another file? I am not doing the .img file.
I am upgrading to ver. 4.1 through the net connection and to 3.7 through the usb.

(BTW with SW version 3.7 installed, TFP wants to update to ver. 2.43 and if I have SW 4.1 installed TFP wants to update to ver. 3.27)

Where does the TFP file come from?
Does TFP update from the internet or is it embedded in the .tgz file?
When I tell it to update the TFP if I am not connected to the internet, I do not get an error message saying there is no connection to net, but it will pop up an error message if I try to upgrade the SW through the net if I am not connected.

I would like to find an earlier SW version I can put on a thumb drive to see if it works, but they say you can not go back to an earlier version.
I can go from 4.1 back to 3.7 though (the CS2 shows the installed version in the display).

If the TFP is in it's own file, I would like to try to install it through the usb if I can get the file.

Sending back to Marklin may be my only solution.

Under the topic of the 3.0.0 upgrade, some people were talking about problems when Marklin inadvertently posted a bad update version (2.1.7?) and took it back off and went back to ver. 2.0.1.
I don't know if that caused my problem. I don't remember if that upgrade tried to install when I installed 2.0.1.

I'm am not clear about the RSS feed.
Are you referring to downloading the update on the computer and then putting it on a thumb drive?

I could try to download ver. 3.7 from Marklin again.
The update page will only post in German so I have to have to use a translator on the web site. The top of the page has a button for English, but it doesn't work.
According to the instructions you right click on the file name and select "save target as" and select the thumb drive and it will save the files on the drive.
When I try it, it doesn't save the .tgz file but saves a file with extention .html.
If I just click on them, I just get pushed to the bottom of the page.
How do I get these files downloaded?

Thanks again for the replies.

John
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 04 February 2016 08:13:41(UTC)
H0

Hi, John!
Originally Posted by: jwalt2065 Go to Quoted Post
That post came from a person who does not own a CS2. Don't worry too much whether there might be a meaning in that post.

They changed the update format - IIRC with version 3.6, so 3.6 could be the oldest version for a downgrade.
And I think the tgz file is the old format and the latest tgz file just replaces the upgrade mechanism. Try to make the downgrade with the img file on the stick or with both files.
The TFP should be part of the img file for the old version 3.7 and should come from the web for the new 4.1 version.

I'm not sure if the img file contains version 3.7 or 3.8. Maybe it is 3.8 and the text on the site is not up to date.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2016 15:05:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, John!
That post came from a person who does not own a CS2. Don't worry too much whether there might be a meaning in that post.

They changed the update format - IIRC with version 3.6, so 3.6 could be the oldest version for a downgrade.
And I think the tgz file is the old format and the latest tgz file just replaces the upgrade mechanism. Try to make the downgrade with the img file on the stick or with both files.
The TFP should be part of the img file for the old version 3.7 and should come from the web for the new 4.1 version.

I'm not sure if the img file contains version 3.7 or 3.8. Maybe it is 3.8 and the text on the site is not up to date.

A tgz file is a unix compressed file, rather like a zip file. It will contain a number of files within the tgz file. A compression program such as 7-zip can open a tgz file and then you can poke around the files inside.
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 05 February 2016 03:39:49(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, i have just send John an email with the facts that i remember happened several years ago.
As Tom pointed out, the first problem occured when the unit was from Goppingen for a burned board that was replaced.
In fact i made a downgrade to the firts version available at that time ( 1.x IIRC )
The problem disappear with version 3.0x i think.
Interestin thing is that John says the he was able to run trains and accesories with the unit despite the no TFP message, that is weird, i was never able to do that.
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 05 February 2016 03:46:35(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
here the original topic

https://www.marklin-user...oes-this-happen-too-much

i was completely wrong about software versions!!!
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline jwalt2065  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2016 07:25:37(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
I found out how to download the files from Marklin's update page.
You have to check the circle that you have read and agreed to the license terms.
When I had the page translated to English, the circle to check is not there.
Besides the circle not displayed, the way the sentence was translated, the wording wasn't clear that it was for the agreement to the license terms.
After I figured it out, I had to go back to the original page in German to display the circle in order to check it.
Once I checked it, I got the list of updates.

I had the CS2 on version 3.7.0 (7) when I updated the new downloaded files from the usb drive.
After the update, it still showed I was at ver. 3.7.0 (7).
To double check, I am going to update via the network to ver. 4.1 and redo the usb to see what version it says it is at.
Also I tried just about all the restore points in the restore list.
So far nothing has worked to get rid of the TFP error.

I'm not sure I am doing it right, but during the update, I will get a message saying to stop and reboot the unit.
I see in a you tube video that they just hit the resume button without rebooting.
I have tried shutting it down and rebooting, but the reboot message keeps coming up.
Am I supposed to shut down and reboot the CS2 until this message stops coming up and then hit resume?

Thanks Francisco for the link to your original post and the email.

Again, thanks for eveyone's input.

John
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2016 08:26:41(UTC)
H0

You have to check the circle that you have read and agreed to the license terms.
They added the checkbox after they found out that the first version of the CS2 PC software could accidentally delete all user files and the operating system. Now there is a disclaimer that you use Märklin software at your own risk.
I wrote a "German 101" for those who want to try the PC software - and the checkbox is described in the update section.
https://www.marklin-user...f-CS-2--3-8-1#post475795

You wrote you did the downgrade several times, so I thought you already had the files. You didn't ask how to get them.

Re Restart: Some changes require a restart, some changes don't.
If it always asks for a restart, but version numbers don't change and the error message persists then probably something is going wrong and there will be no point in restarting more than 3 or 4 times.

3.7.0(3) is the GUI version, the TFP version shows on a different screen. It will be interesting to see whether you can change the TFP version and whether both versions give the error message.
The USB version should give you 3.27.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jwalt2065  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2016 08:56:34(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
I had the usb 3.7 update already, but I wanted to make sure which version Marklin had on the web site and re-download it in case I had a bad copy.
It also says the update comes with GFP 2.43, but after the update, I will get a message saying I have TFP ver 1.23 and want to know if I want to update to 2.43.
If I try to do the TFP update, I get a window saying it's updating the TFP, but nothing happens. (no bars on the progress meter light up).
It looks to me like the FTP is not getting loaded during the sw update.

Also if I stop and reboot the unit during the update as it says, it doesn't continue with the update automatically.
After the reboot, I have to click update again.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2016 09:26:37(UTC)
H0

TFP version 1.23 is very old. It seems you CS2 skipped a few TFP upgrades.

Pure speculation: Maybe you now have a constellation that Märklin never tested: a very old TFP that cannot work with the current GUI version and cannot even be upgraded with the current GUI version.

When you try to upgrade from the Internet, you will see a list of available upgrades (black text) amongst the list of items (grey text if no upgrade was found). There should be a black line for TFP or GFP showing the current version if you try a web upgrade.
So maybe give the USB and web upgrades a few more tries and then contact Märklin for help.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2016 10:17:50(UTC)
Goofy

An simple question...do you have USB c-techniclogy?
There is USB stick cause some problem with the PC very seriously.
Did just read from computer experts who warns about USB stick do damage computer by download upgrades.
Possible do you have problem with the USB stick,so try another model.
H0
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2016 10:42:54(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
An simple question...do you have USB c-techniclogy?
There is USB stick cause some problem with the PC very seriously.
Did just read from computer experts who warns about USB stick do damage computer by download upgrades.

Have you ever tried to plug an USB-C device into a CS-xx ??

How did you do that ??

LOL

Trying another "normal" USB-stick can in some cases help; but I don't think it has anything to do with Jwalt2065's problem.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
H0
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2016 15:26:57(UTC)
Goofy

It provides interference between the USB stick and your computer,if you have tension on still in the computer.
If i connect my digital camera with USB cable to a computer,you have my camera off first.
This must also be done with the Märklin CSx,the voltage must be switched off before connecting the USB stick.

Yes USB c is not fitting with the CSx,but remains about the problem with USB too about to handle the connecting wrong way.
Or else it result to unwishing function.
H0
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2016 16:54:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
This must also be done with the Märklin CSx,the voltage must be switched off before connecting the USB stick.
No. At least not with my USB stick.

It seems the CS2 finds the USB stick, but cannot upgrade the TFP.

It seems all your posts in this thread have absolutely no relevance for the topic discussed here. RSS feeds, USB-C, digital cameras, ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jwalt2065  
#17 Posted : 06 February 2016 18:33:57(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Thanks for the info on the list H0.

The list shows GFP 3.7 update in black.
As the update progresses, it shows the GFP being installed.
The text in the list then turns green indicating a successful install of the GFP.
After the update is successfully done, I still get an 'FTP unavailable' or a window saying I have FTP 1.23.

Hope this helps in determining what the problem may be.

Thanks again,
John

Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 06 February 2016 18:42:53(UTC)
H0

Hope this helps in determining what the problem may be.
I am just a CS2 user (not a CS2 developer) and I don't have this problem, so I don't know how to solve it.

If no other forum member has solved this problem, then send a detailed description to Märklin Service.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 06 February 2016 18:50:26(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I had the usb 3.7 update already, but I wanted to make sure which version Marklin had on the web site and re-download it in case I had a bad copy.
It also says the update comes with GFP 2.43, but after the update, I will get a message saying I have TFP ver 1.23 and want to know if I want to update to 2.43.
If I try to do the TFP update, I get a window saying it's updating the TFP, but nothing happens. (no bars on the progress meter light up).
It looks to me like the FTP is not getting loaded during the sw update.

Also if I stop and reboot the unit during the update as it says, it doesn't continue with the update automatically.
After the reboot, I have to click update again.

Did you download two files? My (very limited) German suggests you need both of the files (the second one has a .img extension) to do the complete upgrade.

Goofy is only a tiny bit right, there does seem to be a problem with some USB sticks, but it tends to be ones with larger capacities. If the one you have now seems to work fine then you are probably OK, but if it has a problem then look for a low capacity one, probably around 2GB (such as the ones that tend to be given away free) to put the files on.

Offline jwalt2065  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2016 02:42:04(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Yes I have both files on the usb drive. I have done the update with both a 2gb drive and a larger one.
It seems to me that the CS2 will either see and read the files from the drive or it won't and display an error message.
I checked this by trying to update from the usb when there was no drive in it and it displays an error message (IN GERMAN!)
Unless it has something to do with the transfer rate of the usb drive, there should be no in between of reading data off the drive.

With my CS2 at ver. 4.1.0(3) I do an update from the usb drive, and after saying the update is complete it shows it at ver 3.7.0(7)
It turns the text to green in the list indicating a successful update of the GFP but it didn't update.
Unsuccessful updates in the list are turned red.
I don't see how it has anything to do with the usb drive.
The same thing happens when I do the internet update from 3.7 to 4.1, so the usb drive is not the cause IMHO.

When I do the update a second time, the only items in black in the list to be updated are:
4:webserver (V4 : 17.9.2015)
5:import_USB (V evergreen : 15.12.2014)

After the 2nd time around, only the import_USB is shown in black.
I have a drive in the usb port and the internet update will turn the text to green but then it turns back to black when the unit says the update is complete.
I keep doing the net update and it seems it just does this over and over again.

Seeing that it says usb, I decided to redo the usb update back to 3.7.
The list now shows it as:
14:import (V evergreen 3.7.2014)
It is the only item in black but it always turns red when it completes the update.
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 07 February 2016 08:14:27(UTC)
H0

The "evergreen" update is a hack: it loads images from the USB stick when you do a web update, therefore it is always black when you search for updates. If it is the only black entry then there is nothing to load from the web.

Important for you is the line with "GFP" or "TFP" and the version it shows on the booster screen of the CS2.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 07 February 2016 15:21:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

With my CS2 at ver. 4.1.0(3) I do an update from the usb drive, and after saying the update is complete it shows it at ver 3.7.0(7)
It turns the text to green in the list indicating a successful update of the GFP but it didn't update.
Unsuccessful updates in the list are turned red.
I don't see how it has anything to do with the usb drive.
The same thing happens when I do the internet update from 3.7 to 4.1, so the usb drive is not the cause IMHO.

I would agree with you that there is no problem with the USB.

If the TFP is not updating I would suggest there is a problem with the electronics in that area, and the only resolution is to send the unit back to Marklin.

Offline jwalt2065  
#23 Posted : 08 February 2016 03:40:56(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
Now here's something strange.
Earlier today, I brought up the info screen to see what TFP version I have.
The info screen was blank except for the box with a drop down arrow in it.
Just a little while ago, I fired up the CS2 and the info page was displaying all the track info.
It still showed the TFP error when it booted up.
I went to the keyboard screen and it was working again!
Unfortunately, after doing a reboot, I lost the info screen and the keyboard screen stopped working again.
Offline clapcott  
#24 Posted : 08 February 2016 09:35:59(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I believe the blank info dropdown is a red herring.

While a CS2 may appear to have finished booting, it may take a while to complete the initialization (find) of additional components.

I am guessing that there is a "stall" in this process when the scan finds your TFP and wastes time trying to sort that out. After a period of time this may timeout and eventually every thing is found (or bypassed).

There is a setting in the setup screens which also affects how often subsequent device checks are done (e.g. Booster voltage/current readings).
I do not expect this to have any effect , but you might want to check what it is set to (recommend that it NOT be less than 5-10 seconds)

And just a question, because I do not see an answer in the thread to date, do you have ANY other control devices connected to the CS2?
Peter
Offline jwalt2065  
#25 Posted : 09 February 2016 18:07:09(UTC)
jwalt2065

United States   
I see what you are saying clapcott about the delay in the boot up process.
After it boots up I bring up the Information screen and it would be blank for a little while then the track info would come up on the screen and I am able to gain control of the track.

Even though I still get the TFP unavailable error, I can live with it as long as it works.
It is just an inconvenience to have to close the pop up window every time I turn the CS2 on.

I would still like to find out why it won't update the TFP (if it works the way it is I don't know if I should get it up to date with 3.27).
I bought the unit in Jan "09 but don't remember what version the TFP was.
It is now at ver. 1.23.
I have updated the software several versions, but has it ever updated the TFP since I bought it?

John
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#26 Posted : 11 February 2016 17:47:57(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Hi John. I have recieved your e-mail

I have sent you the CS2 1.64 update file

Also, I have sent you the CS2 1.40 and CS2gfp1.36 update files.

Please. Try first with 1.64 update. If it does not work then try with 1.40 and gfp1.36

Good Luck

Edited by user 11 February 2016 21:43:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RUBEN SPAIN