Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ixldoc  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2016 04:39:45(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi all,
I recently completed a project to add subdued interior lighting, table lights, kitchen lighting, corridor lighting and a controlled pantograph on an SBB Speisewagen. I finally worked out a way to control the panto.

Some photos then a video.
DSCN0396.jpg
DSCN0359.jpg
IMG_0156.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg
DSCN0397.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

These show the general layout of the lights and electronics. The magnet held near the wagon closes the mini reed switch, puts a 120 ohm resistor across the decoder orange and grey wires ( ESU lokpilot) which are not used in this case. This allows the decoder to be interrogated on a programming track. It should not be permanently wired as it would become very hot indeed if the throttle was opened.A red LED was used for the kitchen and the corridor is lit by small white LEDs on a flexible strip.

The small geared motor is supplied by the tiny step down regulator and runs at 3 volts. It has an aluminium flywheel attached with a pin mounted on it's external face 2 mm off centre. A small wire passes up through the roof to the base of the panto arm. Momentary actuating F1 controls the motor and when it turns it pulls the arm down. F1 is released when the panto is down. If it is pushed again the motor continues in the same direction and the pantograph spring draws the arm up.

Hope that works, my first video.
Thanks for watching.
Regards,
Howard.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2016 09:01:40(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Very smart.
Professional looking construction. 👏
I don't think Marklin would have done better.
This one is for the"keep" file, if you allow us to eventually and shamelessly plagiarize your tricked out speisewagen.
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2016 11:58:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Very smart.
Professional looking construction. 👏
I don't think Marklin would have done better.
This one is for the"keep" file, if you allow us to eventually and shamelessly plagiarize your tricked out speisewagen.
Cheers
Jacques

I agree, very nicely done. I think the only difference I would have made is to have the three different sets of lights on different functions, so they didn't all come on and off together. Very nice motor and gearbox for the pantograph operation. Operates at a believable speed.

Offline ixldoc  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2016 12:57:34(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Thanks for the comments and feedback.
I used an ESU decoder and I ran out of functions, f0 inner lights, f1 panto, f2 table lights. Couldn't think of anything to do with the throttle!
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline anthpao  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2016 23:26:34(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
You can use a LokPilot fx decoder that does not support motor but it has two outputs more.
Offline ixldoc  
#6 Posted : 01 February 2016 02:43:26(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Aha you have outed me!
In the interests of brevity in my post I didn't mention the background to the decision to use a Lokpilot and not and FX.
I originally decided to control the panto motor with the throttle and be able to reverse it but I was half way through the project and I got a bit uneasy about variable speeds of the panto and it was a bit cumbersome. I decided to have a fixed voltage available from f1 and regulate it down to a fixed 3 volts.
It was then necessary to connect all the internal lighting to f0 and leave the table lights on f2. That left me with an unused motor output but I couldn't use it for anything. ( maybe a moving waiter serving diners? )!! Good project for you.
The only need for the resistor across the orange and grey wire through the reed was so I could address the decoder at a later date if required without taking the carriage apart.
I promise to try harder next time.
Cheers.
Howard.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ixldoc