Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2016 22:57:57(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I can’t find anywhere in the Marklin manuals what I will call the capacity of a Mobile Station2. My latest planned layout, following some very good advice here a week ago is as follows:

I would like to build a 3m x 1m track heavy layout with 20 turnouts and some uncouplers. Found in my stash in the loft unboxed is something called a central control (not a 6021 I have one of those also) This originates from an early digital start set and controls just four loks 10-20-30-40 and has a little keyboard built in with four pairs of switches. So this combined with a keyboard, five k83 decoders and a transformer is to operate as a separate control system independent to the track with a control box to look after any excess uncouplers. This satisfies my desire to retain clunky switching of turnouts and visible reporting of their status.

I then intend to purchase a MS2 to control the loks and functions my first foray into the 21st century. Now when I had my previous layout years ago controlled by a 6021 for track and turnouts we reached a point where it was beginning to struggle with power on the far side of the lay out so the solution then was to run another brown and red lead to a track power connector on the far side of the layout. I don’t know if this was technically correct but it kinda worked.

So now my dumb questions:

1) Does the MS2 have the capacity to operate 30metres of track (which is what scarm is telling me my current version is)– I think the answer will be yes of course but I would like to know. Someone will probably say they operate 100metres plus of track and 100 turnouts on this little fella. I guess my old method of another feed would be strictly verboten.

2) Will the turnouts etc still show up on the MS2? - and be operable

3) I have always positioned K83 decoders under the base board nearest to a cluster of four turnouts then looped the red and brown on to the next cluster. This is very fine until something goes wrong or needs to be changed. My layout will sit on a series of cabinets so getting underneath is not easy and lifting the whole lot up is precarious. I have noticed on a number of photos on here the decoders wired and brought out to the front of the layout near the control equipment is that currently regarded as best practice?
Offline rshimada  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2016 01:12:55(UTC)
rshimada

United States   
First off, you might get better replies to this under the Digital topic....

I'm new to Märklin Digital myself and will pass along a few things I learned.

The Mobile Station 2 has been replaced by the (black) Mobile Station. (Boo hoo, I got an MS2 in November!) The specifications seem to match on the Märklin web site.

The black Mobile Station and the Mobile Station 2 do not provide power to the track. (The original Mobile Station provided track power.) Track power is provided by the track connector box which can draw up to 1.9 amps. Note that a track connector box and a Central Station should never be used together.

Yes, you can use more feeders. (This is particularly easy to do when using C-track and Märklin sells the appropriate wiring.)

I do not know if the old digital turnout controllers can be used with a Mobile Station and track connector box. (I think they can be used with a Central Station.)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rshimada
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2016 17:07:06(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Re 1: Track does not consume power. A single MS2 can be used for 1000 m of track. It is good for 1 through 6 trains.
Activating a turnout while six trains are running could lead to an overload condition. But most likely the power will be enough.
Power is actually coming from the track box. The 1.9 A of an MS2 system are slightly less than the 2.5 A of your CU 6021.

If you have problems at the far end of the layout only then you need thicker wires, not a stronger controller. It is recommended to have feeder wires every meter or every other meter (your mileage may vary).

Re 2: The MS2 can operate turnouts via k83 decoders.

Re 3: I don't know what others consider "best practise". I'd reduce cables by placing the k83 near the turnouts as you do.

As far as I can tell from the new items brochure there is no technical difference between the old MS2 (grey) and the new MS2 (dark grey or black). Take the nicer one or the cheaper one.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2016 19:30:41(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The MS2 can also operate turnouts via DCC turnout decoders.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2016 19:47:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The MS2 can also operate turnouts via DCC turnout decoders.
I know. It's off topic here as the OP does not mention DCC turnout decoders.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2016 21:04:01(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: rshimada Go to Quoted Post

I do not know if the old digital turnout controllers can be used with a Mobile Station and track connector box. (I think they can be used with a Central Station.)

The 6021 can be connected to a Central Station 2 or 3 with the "Connect-6021", however I don't think this is possible with the Central Control. Neither of them can be connected to the Mobile Station 2 or the trackbox. But of course they can be used on a separate digital accessory circuit. In that case the accessories can't be controlled by the Mobile Station.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline mrmarklin  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2016 22:07:30(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
On my test layout I use a MS2 with a 60VA transformer. I assume it's more than enough since I've had up to five Loks on the tracks simultaneously with lighted passenger cars. There are also four switches.

The five Loks were not all moving at the same time, but had sound, smoke etc functions going. Sound in particular uses a lot of current.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2016 23:10:23(UTC)
H0

An MS2 with a 60 VA transformer won't have more amps than an MS2 with 36 VA power supply.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage