Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DTaylor91  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2016 02:58:52(UTC)
DTaylor91

A few years ago, I bought a Märklin 37521 De 6/6, the "Seetal Crocodile". Mine was in great shape, which I was relieved to find because afterwards I learned that many of these had broken/defective frames. A few days ago sold mine to a self-described "serious collector of Märklin". He stated he was glad to get it because he had bought one recently that had a broken frame. My 37521 arrived at his house this morning, and he immediately filed for return because "it arrived with a broken frame". He of course sent photos of a broken locomotive to ebay with his filed claim. The box that I shipped it in was in the background, and looked intact and unmolested.

Some of you are probably already thinking what I'm thinking, but I forgot to write my locomotive's serial number down before I shipped it, and have no way of proving if I get a different locomotive back. Blushing

So, I'll be out of the money I sold the locomotive for, and I'll be stuck with a broken locomotive. At least I was smart enough to buy shipping insurance for the locomotive.

The question is, since so many of these Seetal Crocodiles have had bad frames, has Märklin ever had a return program, or repair extension program?

Alternately, has anyone here successfully repaired/rebuilt a broken frame?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2016 03:53:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is possible that an unscrupulous person would try to fix his damaged locomotive with another one (yours) and claim that it arrived damaged. Your gut feeling should guide you in how to proceed. Did you sell the item on ebay or was it done person to person, be it through a forum, by phone or by email? If it was via ebay or PayPal, you can file a dispute. You can include the fact that he reported to you that he had another one that was defective. If you have such a statement in an email, text or letter, it will serve as proof. If he cannot show two models with damage, you can assume that the damaged one would be the one that he previously mentioned.
As far as shipping insurance, you might not be covered if the package shows no damage and the item shows damage consistent with decay/flawed materials.
I would report this to ebay as a possible fraudulent attempt and let the chips fall where they may.
Next time, don't be a half wit and take photos of the model from all angles as well as the packaging prior to shipment, including the serial number.
I have also seen sellers try to pass off defective goods as in good condition and inclusion of a comment about such damage might appear suspect to some.
Good luck with this case.

I should add that you should be able to send the locomotive back to Germany and have the broken parts replaced. It will likely cost around 100-150 Euros plus shipping. For precise information, contact service(at)maerklin.de. I would recommend waiting for a resolution from ebay before sending it back.
I stick with my statement that obliging him to provide photos of both of his locomotives should show two damaged ones and if one is intact, this would support your claim of possible fraud.

Regards

Mike C
Offline DTaylor91  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2016 05:21:59(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

As far as shipping insurance, you might not be covered if the package shows no damage and the item shows damage consistent with decay/flawed materials.
I would report this to ebay as a possible fraudulent attempt and let the chips fall where they may.
Next time, don't be a half wit and take photos of the model from all angles as well as the packaging prior to shipment, including the serial number.
I have also seen sellers try to pass off defective goods as in good condition and inclusion of a comment about such damage might appear suspect to some.
Good luck with this case.

I should add that you should be able to send the locomotive back to Germany and have the broken parts replaced. It will likely cost around 100-150 Euros plus shipping. For precise information, contact service(at)maerklin.de. I would recommend waiting for a resolution from ebay before sending it back.
I stick with my statement that obliging him to provide photos of both of his locomotives should show two damaged ones and if one is intact, this would support your claim of possible fraud.

Regards

Mike C

I requested the buyer send photos, and it was indeed the locomotive I sent. He also sent photos of the outside of the box as requested, and one photo he sent shows a big, dark scuff mark on the outside of the box that shows something hit it on the outside pretty hard. The loco was in great shape, and running really well before I sent it, and showed no sign of zinkpest (no bubbling of paint, etc.). I guess the design of the frame is so delicate that even in its original box, a really hard hit on the outside of a shipping box (40cm x 15cm x 15cm even) can send enough shock to snap the frame.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Oh, I just had to laugh at the "half wit" comment, my eBay user name is indeed half_wit! Link to the auction:

Seetal Crocodile eBay Auction

Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 30 January 2016 04:53:43(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Did he show one photo of the two broken locomotives side by side in the same photo?
If not how would you know it was your loco?
- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?