Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thomas buckley  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2016 19:02:30(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
Came across a decent deal on a digital swiss croc locomotive. will these newer locomotives function on my 1970s vintage layout? This forum has been so very helpful during my short time here. All your suggestions and advice have all born fruit and I thank you for your help!!
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2016 19:17:31(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Yes,digital locomotives will function without problem on your seventies layout.
They will run analogue if you use an oldfashioned simple AC transformer and they will run digital if you use the more sophisticated Mobile Station or Central Station,the latter options will need the use of C track because the control box needs to be plugged into the C connection track.
There is a special piece of track to connect metal track with C track.

Note: if run analogue by means of a simple transformer you will need to set the dip switches on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) inside the loco in a given configuration so that the loco runs analogue,otherwise it will not respond to your commands,most likely only the lights will work.
The loco will come with a manual in which the setting of the dipswitches is explained.
A toothpick or small sctrewdriver will do the trick.
Make sure you correctly remove the hood from the loco,also explained in the manual.

Which croc is it (Marklin number)?
I have the 3356 (analogue!) which has a metal hood,some crocs have a plastic hood,we can tell you what is what.

http://www.hr4920.de/Web...D/8961/71BA/L1880350.JPG

Cheers,
Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline thomas buckley  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2016 00:11:25(UTC)
thomas buckley

United States   
it is 3756 loco.
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2016 05:13:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Note: if run analogue by means of a simple transformer you will need to set the dip switches on the PCB (Printed Circuit Board) inside the loco in a given configuration so that the loco runs analogue,otherwise it will not respond to your commands,most likely only the lights will work.

Can you please explain this in a bit more detail?

I have digital locos running on an analogue K track layout and they all run. However, some better than others. Some tend to hesitate for no apparent reason from time to time and then pick up speed, etc. On the digital C track they all run fine.

I simply don't understand the reference to having to set up dip switches (Confused ) on the PCB.

Thanks. BigGrin

Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2016 08:54:07(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I was referring to Delta,the simplyfied version of Digital.
Marklin Delta locs have a PCB with dip switches which have to be set in a particular order for analogue operation.

Here the Dutch manual for Delta,showing the pictures.

http://www.marklin.nl/su...lta_control_4F_66045.pdf

About your analogue K track: it is known that the C track has a much better transfer of current because of its connections from track piece to track piece.
Reason for hesitation of loco's could be dirty rails or poor rail connections,or perhaps shortcurrent because of faulty wire connections.
The Metal track i can testify was prone to poor transfer of current,especially because of the blank flexible metal lips to connect the track to other track.

The 3756 has a metal hood and is digital,it is the digital sister of my 3356.
It is a must have!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2016 09:18:23(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I simply don't understand the reference to having to set up dip switches (Confused ) on the PCB.
Most Delta locos and some digital locos (37xx series, even some 37xxx series) do not have automatic system detection and the DIP switches must be set for either analogue or digital operation.
Märklin digital locos without DIP switches have automatic system detection ex works.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2016 09:21:28(UTC)
H0

[...] they will run digital if you use the more sophisticated Mobile Station or Central Station,the latter options will need the use of C track because the control box needs to be plugged into the C connection track.
Mobile Stations and Central Stations can be used with any gauge and any track. They may come with spade connectors for H0 C track - if you don't need those spade connectors, just cut them off and connect the station to K track or M track or other gauges.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2016 21:06:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I was referring to Delta,the simplyfied version of Digital.
Marklin Delta locs have a PCB with dip switches which have to be set in a particular order for analogue operation.

This is only needed on locos over a limited production period because Marklin were unable to license the patent for automatic selection of analogue and digital modes.

All Marklin digital and delta locos have an analogue mode which has all switches off, but to say it is needed on all locos is definitely not correct