Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gunado  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2016 01:07:31(UTC)
gunado

Australia   
Can you replace ROCO HO couplings on there carriages with Marklin HO couplings, if so is it an a matter of changing them or are other modifications need.BigGrin

Edited by moderator 22 March 2016 11:30:07(UTC)  | Reason: Topic titles should always start with a capital!

Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2016 06:29:21(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: gunado Go to Quoted Post
Can you replace ROCO HO couplings on there carriages with Marklin HO couplings, if so is it an a matter of changing them or are other modifications need.BigGrin

It will work in many cases but unfortunately, **not always**.
However, there is a simple solution,: I use Roco 40397 couplers, which are Märklin KK compatible **and** work actually more reliably than Märklin originals
Here is what they look like and where I get mine and other coupler paraphernaliaCool

http://www.schnug-modell...Kupplungen/IMG_0463g.jpg

Hope this helps

Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2016 09:04:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
However, there is a simple solution,: I use Roco 40397 couplers, which are Märklin KK compatible **and** work actually more reliably than Märklin originals
The Roco couplers are very good. It should be noted that they may be needed on both cars. When coupling a Roco coach to a Märklin coach or a Märklin loco, then the Märklin coach or loco might need a Roco coupler, too. Märklin close couplers are too high.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2016 09:32:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: gunado Go to Quoted Post

I have several Roco wagons which I have fitted with Marklin close couplers and they work perfectly with all my Marklin wagons and locos.

Occasionally you get a wagon where the Marklin couplers foul the buffers because, as Tom pointed out, the Marklin buffers are mounted higher than other manufacturers.

Couplers which are on standard NEM mountings, as all modern wagons tend to have, can easily be swapped around. My advice is to try it and see. If you get a problem with one particular wagon then change it back to Roco or other couplers.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2016 09:45:46(UTC)
H0

As a rule of thumb: long cars/coaches are more likely to have the märklin-coupler-hits-buffer problem than shorter cars.

More information and some photos in this blog post:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 19 March 2016 16:32:04(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I have never been very happy with Marklin's close couplers. They are difficult to get the cars to couple, most times requiring several attempts. This makes them at best frustrating and at worst completely useless when doing work in a yard. They also do not remain reliably coupled. On M track in particular you can't look away for a moment or you'll have some crash because a coupler let loose. I think part of that problem is due to the loop being closed. Because the loops are not open asymmetrical hooks, one loop must always rest on top of the other. When on top, it will just lay there as it cannot fall behind the hook on the coupler. So you will always have only one of the loops holding the two cars together. You can see this clearly in Tom's blog linked above, sixth picture down. I have also had the same problems as others with fouling against buffers as the car passes through a curve or switch. This fouling will lever the wagen off the track. I knew I needed a replacement.

I have had great luck with the old Relex couplers. They couple reliably and although only one loop typically holds the cars together (as in the picture below), the taller hook means they will stay coupled. So I tried the 72060 NEM pocket compatible Relex coupler. I had no more problems with cars uncoupling, but the close coupler mechanism on the wagen would cause the coupler to collapse when pushed through curves or up hill. This meant the coupler was not centered over the track and an uncoupler would not release the coupler. If the clearance between the coupler and buffer wasn't enough, the wagen would get levered off the track. So that didn't work.
UserPostedImage

So I thought I would try the Roco 40397 couplers. Tom and Jacques had good luck with them and I needed a fix for the problem. I have now replaced just under 1000 couplers. These things are really sweet. They couple every time and even on old M track, I never loose a wagen. The asymmetric "loop" means they will nestle down next to each other clearing the buffers and engaging both hooks for a 100% increase in connection compared to M's couplers. All my freight wagens and lokos have been replaced and about 10% of the passenger wagens. The other 90% use M's current conducting close coupler. These too are difficult to couple, they are the same design, but they remain coupled due to the load the conductor places on the loop and hook. Since my passenger wagens are essentially fixed consists, the difficulties on coupling are not so much of a problem and each end of the consist now has the Roco coupler. If the current conducting couplers still foul on the buffers, or in my case the diaphrams on my Blauer Enzian set, remove the loop on the opposite coupler. Now you will not have it just laying atop the other getting in the way and the load on the hook created by the current conducting contact will still keep them coupled.

The old M couplers are into the trash bin, for some reason I think I should feel bad, but I am only all to relieved to fix a problem that made operating a railroad extremely difficult.
UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 19 March 2016 20:15:48(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Matt,

People pay good money for those Marklin close couplers. You should advertise them on ebay and get some money back for them rather than throwing them away.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF