Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2016 09:26:11(UTC)
Goofy

Let´s say to get the new CS3...which do you prefer to get one...CS3 or CS3 plus?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2016 09:39:15(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Let´s say to get the new CS3...which do you prefer to get one...CS3 or CS3 plus?

With what I understand until now, if you want to have only one CS and don't use more CS units as slaves, then CS3 is enough.

If you already have S88 6088 or 60880 and you want to use it with the CS3 you will need to buy a L88 60883.
The 60883 may also be enough in this case as it also has 16 detection inputs.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2016 10:23:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Given the 150 euro difference in price between the CS3+ and the CS3, I would hope you would get something more than a 6 pin socket that allows your CS3+ to be used as a remote slave.

Still, I would probably get the CS3+ as although I have a CS2 which could be used as a remote controller to a CS3, if I took my CS3+ along to our club, I would want to be able to use it as a remote to the club's CS3.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2016 10:26:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
.....if you want to have only one CS and don't use more CS units as slaves, then CS3 is enough.

CS3 is enough if you have a CS2 and want to make the CS2 a remote to the CS3. You need CS3+ if you want to use a CS3 device as a remote.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2016 11:39:09(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Or I believe you can also use the CS3 plus as a booster, so if you are planning a new layout and may later expand you can get a booster as well as a extra slave control.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2016 13:31:09(UTC)
Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
.....if you want to have only one CS and don't use more CS units as slaves, then CS3 is enough.

CS3 is enough if you have a CS2 and want to make the CS2 a remote to the CS3. You need CS3+ if you want to use a CS3 device as a remote.

I would prefer the CS3 plus, but in my case it isn't worth the added cost. Starter sets will most probably only be offered with CS3. Best strategy now would be to buy a CS3, unless you plan to bring it to a club to use as a remote, in which case you could probably use a Mobile Station... s88 connectivity is not a big deal, since neither of them have the old s88 connector. Only difference is that CS3 plus can use a new s88 or l88 as first device, and CS3 only the l88.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2016 18:17:16(UTC)
Goofy

I think i will perhaps this time give Märklin a chance to get one CS3.
But first to get more information about CS3 from Märklin.
H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 21 January 2016 20:43:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Or I believe you can also use the CS3 plus as a booster
The CS2 or CS3 can also be used as a booster.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mbarreto  
#9 Posted : 21 January 2016 23:22:35(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The CS2 or CS3 can also be used as a booster.

As the CS3 can't be used in slave mode what is or are the input ports (and due to mfx also the output) for it to be used as a booster?
Does that configuration use some special cable?

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 21 January 2016 23:46:23(UTC)
H0

As the CS3 can't be used in slave mode what is or are the input ports (and due to mfx also the output) for it to be used as a booster?
As I understand it when connecting two CS2 with a 60123 cable then either CS2 can be Master or Slave, independent of whether the Input or the Output was used. I assume the CS3 can also be either Master or Slave.
We'll know more when the manual is available for download. We'll know for sure when someone had a chance to try it.

Both CS3 and CS3plus have an internal booster and both boosters can be used in multi-unit configurations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline sjlauritsen  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2016 06:53:40(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
As I understand it when connecting two CS2 with a 60123 cable then either CS2 can be Master or Slave, independent of whether the Input or the Output was used. I assume the CS3 can also be either Master or Slave.

That is my understanding too. From a software perspective I can't see why they should have changed that in the CS3.

Both CS3 and CS3plus have an internal booster and both boosters can be used in multi-unit configurations.

Actually, a few months back, I wrote an article on how a booster works, this may help people understand the basic inner workings of a digital command station. To sum things up: Every digital command station comes with a booster, mostly it is built-in, some times it is external.

It is not always possible to use the built-in booster when connecting several command stations, thus wasting a perfectly good booster. This is now possible with the CS3Plus - and that is a big deal IMO. Smile

Link: What is a Booster?

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 22 January 2016 08:33:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post

Actually, a few months back, I wrote an article on how a booster works, this may help people understand the basic inner workings of a digital command station. To sum things up: Every digital command station comes with a booster, mostly it is built-in, some times it is external.

It is not always possible to use the built-in booster when connecting several command stations, thus wasting a perfectly good booster. This is now possible with the CS3Plus - and that is a big deal IMO. Smile

Hi Søren,
Thanks so much for your web page on the CS3 and CS3Plus, it explains it perfectly to a dummy like me.
http://railway.zone/post/worth-knowing-about-marklins-new-central-station-3-and-central-station-3-plus
I still have an ancient CS1, which actually works fine.
But I will face up to an upgrade in the future, with confidence.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Danlake  
#13 Posted : 22 January 2016 10:33:18(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Excellent article Søren,

Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline rorosha  
#14 Posted : 22 January 2016 13:01:30(UTC)
rorosha

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Hi Søren,
Thanks so much for your web page on the CS3 and CS3Plus, it explains it perfectly to a dummy like me.
http://railway.zone/post/worth-knowing-about-marklins-new-central-station-3-and-central-station-3-plus
I still have an ancient CS1, which actually works fine.
But I will face up to an upgrade in the future, with confidence.

regards
Kimball

Very good article, very informative.

But there is one slight Typo that you may want to correct.

Conclusion: You can consider the CS3Plus a controller/booster/S88 LINK bundle (the S88 LINK module do provide 16 feedback ports, whereas the CS3Plus does not. You will need to get a S88 AC or S88 DC feedback module and connect it to the CS3Plus to begin using feedback).

Both the second and third CS3Plus should be CS3 (I believe).

Rodger

Offline mbarreto  
#15 Posted : 22 January 2016 13:27:20(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
We'll know more when the manual is available for download. We'll know for sure when someone had a chance to try it.

I got your point and I agree. If the CS3+ is the master, then the CS3 can work as a booster.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline mbarreto  
#16 Posted : 22 January 2016 13:32:42(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Søren,

Your article clarified one point I was not getting right, that is the S88 connection of the CS3+. I thought it was like in the CS2 for connecting old S8s like 6088 and 60880, but now I understand that the S88 plug is the RJ-45 for direct connection of the new S88 AC or S88 DC, which allows for not using the L88.
Both CS3 and CS3+ don't have a direct connection for the old 6088 and 60880, right?

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline sjlauritsen  
#17 Posted : 22 January 2016 20:16:11(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: rorosha Go to Quoted Post
Conclusion: You can consider the CS3Plus a controller/booster/S88 LINK bundle (the S88 LINK module do provide 16 feedback ports, whereas the CS3Plus does not. You will need to get a S88 AC or S88 DC feedback module and connect it to the CS3Plus to begin using feedback).

You're right, that is a typo. You connect the module to the CS3Plus. I will correct the typo. Thanks! :-)

Søren from Denmark
Offline sjlauritsen  
#18 Posted : 22 January 2016 20:17:43(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Both CS3 and CS3+ don't have a direct connection for the old 6088 and 60880, right?

Correct. I assume that Märklin relies on you using the S88 LINK if you want to connect your old modules. The S88 LINK has a port for that.
Søren from Denmark
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline cwp_marklin  
#19 Posted : 22 January 2016 23:25:46(UTC)
cwp_marklin

United States   
Assuming that the remaining CS2 60215s in dealer inventories will be heavily discounted, are 60215s a reasonable option to a higher priced CS3?
Offline sjlauritsen  
#20 Posted : 23 January 2016 07:29:54(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   

You're right, that is a typo. You connect the module to the CS3Plus. I will correct the typo. Thanks! :-)

Actually, I just re-read the section and realized that I misunderstood your question. It is not a typo afterall.

With the CS3Plus you can connect the feedback modules directly to the CS3Plus. With the CS3 you can only connect the modules indirectly using the S88 LINK via the Märklin-Bus.

What the section adresses is that you will need a feedback module (S88 AC or S88 DC) to begin using feedback directly with the CS3Plus.

With the CS3 this is not the case because you will use the S88 LINK which has 16 feedback ports to begin with. Only when your need for feedback ports exceed 16 (or if you use the S88 LINK for button inputs) will you have to go get additional modules (S88 AC or S88 DC).

Of course, if you need feedback through power consumption, you will need the power consumption aware S88 DC regardless, because the feedback ports on the S88 LINK does not support that.

I hope this clears things up.
Søren from Denmark
Offline Hackcell  
#21 Posted : 23 January 2016 19:27:37(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   

Actually, I just re-read the section and realized that I misunderstood your question. It is not a typo afterall.

With the CS3Plus you can connect the feedback modules directly to the CS3Plus. With the CS3 you can only connect the modules indirectly using the S88 LINK via the Märklin-Bus.

What the section adresses is that you will need a feedback module (S88 AC or S88 DC) to begin using feedback directly with the CS3Plus.

With the CS3 this is not the case because you will use the S88 LINK which has 16 feedback ports to begin with. Only when your need for feedback ports exceed 16 (or if you use the S88 LINK for button inputs) will you have to go get additional modules (S88 AC or S88 DC).

Of course, if you need feedback through power consumption, you will need the power consumption aware S88 DC regardless, because the feedback ports on the S88 LINK does not support that.

I hope this clears things up.

So, the 60882 works as a viessmann 5233 module by providing current to the track and detecting power consumption?
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Thewolf  
#22 Posted : 23 January 2016 20:36:05(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hello All Cool

And what's the difference between 5217 and 5233 Viessmann ?

Thank you for your replyCool

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Hackcell  
#23 Posted : 23 January 2016 20:44:50(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Thewolf Go to Quoted Post
Hello All Cool

And what's the difference between 5217 and 5233 Viessmann ?

Thank you for your replyCool

Thewolf

5217 is a standard s88 feedback module.

5233 powers 8 isolated areas and when there is power consumption on any of these 8 areas it returns a s88 feedback pulse.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline clapcott  
#24 Posted : 23 January 2016 22:14:47(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   

Correct. I assume that Märklin relies on you using the S88 LINK if you want to connect your old modules. The S88 LINK has a port for that.

If , by "direct connection" you are referring to the 6 pin plug and flat grey cable, then neither the CS3 nor CS3+ have this.

However, the RJ45 connector provided by the L88 (60883) , and presumably? the CS3+, has exactly the same wires (functions) as that of the flat grey cable. And a converter may be wired up (the inverse of the 60884) using the pin-out information provided in the manuals. (While the 60884 will physically plug in , it will not work)

As with the L88 (60883) which does have voltage switch for 5 or 12 volt devices, it is PROBABLE that the CS3+ port only provides the 12V option, which is supported by the 60881/60882.
I have never had a reply from Marklin as to the operational capability/specs of the 6088 or 60880 in regard to the 12V query, but most other vendors providing such devices do indicate dual 5V/12V capability if it is available.

The 60883 manual does include the statement "...5volts in mixed operation of S88 and S88 AC/DC Märklin products..." which may or may not be a generic cover the butt .
However the fact that there is no physical deterrent on the unit itself would mean they expect the 6088/60880 to tolerate the 12V setting.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 23 January 2016 22:48:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cwp_marklin Go to Quoted Post
Assuming that the remaining CS2 60215s in dealer inventories will be heavily discounted, are 60215s a reasonable option to a higher priced CS3?

Actually the cs3 is around the price of a discounted cs2, to a point where the answer becomes 'buy a cs3'.

The cs3+ is around the price of an undiscounted cs2.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline sjlauritsen  
#26 Posted : 23 January 2016 22:54:01(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I won't expect the CS3Plus to have the voltage switch. Perhaps it does, but I won't expect it. I would expect Märklin to rely on people using the S88 LINK if they want to use the old plugs.
Søren from Denmark
Offline clapcott  
#27 Posted : 23 January 2016 23:57:40(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I won't expect the CS3Plus to have the voltage switch. Perhaps it does, but I won't expect it. I would expect Märklin to rely on people using the S88 LINK if they want to use the old plugs.

Yes, I agree with comment that a switch is unlikely - and as such maybe a bit of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

In the context of this comparison I do see the economics falling down.
(Using Marklins WebShop prices - but expecting any discounting to be relatively proportionate)

If we analyse the cost of providing S88 capabilities
- The 60216 + 60881 is now valued @ €850
- The 60226 + 60883 + 66351 becomes valued @ €780
The difference is quite a bit closer.

However, If you are the type of person with a layout with the need for a)Legacy S88 support OR b) 3 S88 busses (for wiring distribution ease, if not 93 actual S88s) OR c) Matrix support for a control panel , then - are you not also the type of person wanting an additional throttle?

So your options really become ,
1) buy a CS3+ (for the extra throttle) PLUS a L88 anyway (price now = €930 : 60216 + 60883 + 66351)
or
2) buy a CS3 (with L88/S88 add-ons as above) and be happily forced into a big screen PC using the (free) CS-PC with better visual capabilities and YOUR CHOICE of screen sizes and location (e.g. track control reflected on a wall)
or
3) buy a CS3 (as above) and find/reuse your CS2 (functional , but probably with some reduced refinements - i.e. resolution)

Another positive for the CS3 over the CS3+ is that I can save on a 60125 terminal (another €50) when going the 2nd bus device (Booster, L88, MS)
Again, something that is more likely if you have a medium/large layout. (sure a large/large layout would eventually need a terminal(s))

So at this stage I suggest the only value proposition for the CS3+ is a small one - that being the lack in needing a stupid additionally 66361 for your S88 device support (this assumes no other L88 needs)
Note: Actually this has some rather major advantages for the quick setup brigade - but not one that I think justifies the price in the long run.

Am I missing something?
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 24 January 2016 08:17:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Members you may can clear up my perception of the CS's, it always appeared to me when you add older gadgets to these Command stations you always need additional components

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#29 Posted : 24 January 2016 08:40:42(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Members you may can clear up my perception of the CS's, it always appeared to me when you add older gadgets to these Command stations you always need additional components

John

I agree with John!
If you still have older components,you can still use CS3 with it.
But Märklin do not always produce old stuff,when the new digital accessories present.
But it will fit for both CS3 and CS3plus.
H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 24 January 2016 13:45:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

It is quite often the way with a lot of things. Can you still get a cassette player for your car? Probably not but you can get an adapter that will play cassettes and plug into the car player.

Having an adapter that people need to buy is often the best way of providing backwards compatibility for a new system. That way the new system doesn't need to be fitted with the hardware that requires testing but will be used in only a few cases relative to the number of units sold. Instead making a separate converter often allows a portion of the advantages of the new hardware to be added to the functionality of the old hardware (e.g. plugging in to the new cable bus, offloading work from the main processor).
Offline Paul G  
#31 Posted : 24 January 2016 18:33:04(UTC)
Paul G

United States   
Hi,
Has anyone here seen the new CS3 in person yet?

The reason I ask is: I would like to know if the new screen looks like a good upgrade over the CS2 series? Does the new display appear any brighter, more crisp, more colorful, or faster responding than the CS2 display?

Thanks!
Paul
WI ETE Marklin 3 Rail, C Track, 6021, mostly older Germany and Swiss prototypes
Offline Hackcell  
#32 Posted : 24 January 2016 18:36:19(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Paul G Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

The reason I ask is: I would like to know if the new screen looks like a good upgrade over the CS2 series? Does the new display appear any brighter, more crisp, more colorful, or faster responding than the CS2 display?

Thanks!
Paul

If Stephen hasn't, then I highly doubt it :-)
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 24 January 2016 18:58:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Thanks!
Paul

I would think the first sighting will be at the Nurnberg Toyfair, which I believe is next weekend.

Offline mrmarklin  
#34 Posted : 24 January 2016 20:28:49(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Paul

I would think the first sighting will be at the Nurnberg Toyfair, which I believe is next weekend.

Several of us will be seeing it Wednesday. I'll try to give a report to the best of my abilities. Frankly, I don't understand the tech, only the result!Mellow
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#35 Posted : 24 January 2016 20:51:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Paul

Several of us will be seeing it Wednesday. I'll try to give a report to the best of my abilities. Frankly, I don't understand the tech, only the result!Mellow

I'm sure someone else will be removing one under his coat tails given half a chance ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline Paul G  
#36 Posted : 25 January 2016 04:30:19(UTC)
Paul G

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Paul

Thank you. Have fun.
Paul
WI ETE Marklin 3 Rail, C Track, 6021, mostly older Germany and Swiss prototypes
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 30 January 2016 20:12:55(UTC)
Goofy

Will Märklin this time add ABC-technik and the RailCom in the CS3 by use with the DCC protocol?
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#38 Posted : 30 January 2016 21:20:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
There has been no mention of Railcom (or Loconet) in the CS3 from any information supplied by Marklin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
H0
Offline H0  
#39 Posted : 30 January 2016 21:26:39(UTC)
H0

Is there any controller with ABC-Technik? I thought ABC was just a decoder feature that is completely transparent to the controller.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Hackcell  
#40 Posted : 30 January 2016 23:05:53(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Is there any controller with ABC-Technik? I thought ABC was just a decoder feature that is completely transparent to the controller.

Indeed.

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline Goofy  
#41 Posted : 31 January 2016 01:03:53(UTC)
Goofy

Of course...silly me! Blushing
I forgot about locomotive decoder do have the ABC and not the digital system.
H0
Offline biedmatt  
#42 Posted : 31 January 2016 02:24:38(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   

Correct, but the controller and boosters must provide symmetrical AC power. Any variance could trigger a false brake.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline Hackcell  
#43 Posted : 31 January 2016 07:29:22(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

Correct, but the controller and boosters must provide symmetrical AC power. Any variance could trigger a false brake.

Not sure about Ms, but far as I've read LDT boosters support ABC braking.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline H0  
#44 Posted : 31 January 2016 07:57:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I thought in the days of switching-mode power supplies they all provide symmetrical power. Many items with asymmetrical power consumption could lead to problems.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#45 Posted : 31 January 2016 08:10:43(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post
Not sure about Ms, but far as I've read LDT boosters support ABC braking.
Any links?

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Harryv40  
#46 Posted : 31 January 2016 10:43:37(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Morning everyone
I expect this is an old fashioned view from someone on a very limited budget, it's called a pension, but here goes.

The central station 2 did not stop working as soon as the CS 3 was released. It remains a great piece of kit that does not cost a lot of euros!

The difference between the 2 & 3 for most, at present, would be fairly small, better display, but not a deal maker.

I also need to point out that Zukraft Sticki in Switzeland will sell you a brand new CS2 for 495swiss francs or £340 plus postage.

I hope you didn't mind me pointing these things out, I know a number of us would like a CS, but funds mean we keep using the mobile station 2 that for most small collectors does all the things we require.

I hope I didn't upset people by raising these points.

Have a good day

Harryv40
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#47 Posted : 31 January 2016 11:20:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
The difference between the 2 & 3 for most, at present, would be fairly small, better display, but not a deal maker.

That, and a faster processor, more memory, and can operate up to 32 loco functions (but the CS2 will most likely get that with a software update).

Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
I hope you didn't mind me pointing these things out.......

I hope I didn't upset people by raising these points.

Absolutely not!

I would agree with you. The CS2 is still a very good controller, and may well be all you need. Some have found that the CS2 slows down if you have hundreds of locos registered in it, which is why the CS3 may be good for those folk, but if you don't have hundreds of locos, a CS2 may be fine for your needs. Some folk on this forum are still using the 6021 controller, which is fine - each to what suits them and what they can afford. There is no right or wrong in this instance.
Offline Goofy  
#48 Posted : 31 January 2016 11:46:08(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I would agree with you. The CS2 is still a very good controller, and may well be all you need. Some have found that the CS2 slows down if you have hundreds of locos registered in it, which is why the CS3 may be good for those folk, but if you don't have hundreds of locos, a CS2 may be fine for your needs. Some folk on this forum are still using the 6021 controller, which is fine - each to what suits them and what they can afford. There is no right or wrong in this instance.

Not truth!
In fact did owner to the CS2 get some problems,after upgrades program to the CS2.
Be sure you can get some problems with the new CS3 too!
Control Unit 6021 has never been problems,except default in function.
I´m thinking about to get one CS3,but are unsure about upgrades and Märklin only accept PC with the Windows.

H0
Offline steventrain  
#49 Posted : 31 January 2016 13:47:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Do the CS3plus have cab control?

Any PC software with CS3plus?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#50 Posted : 31 January 2016 14:04:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Do the CS3plus have cab control?

Any PC software with CS3plus?

I would expect it to use the same program as the cs2 does. I see no reason for it to have a different interface.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan