Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nitramretep  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2016 16:59:00(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I realize there is no tech support for the CS2 but does anyone know if Marklin will continue to offer software upgrades for the CS2 or are we all to be forced into the CS3? Can anyone tell me when this CS3 announcement was made to the dealers? Aprevious thread concerning the CS2 production was locked and I was going to ask these questions in same.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2016 18:29:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: nitramretep Go to Quoted Post
I realize there is no tech support for the CS2 but does anyone know if Marklin will continue to offer software upgrades for the CS2 or are we all to be forced into the CS3? Can anyone tell me when this CS3 announcement was made to the dealers? Aprevious thread concerning the CS2 production was locked and I was going to ask these questions in same.

I believe it will last for some time to come, at least as long as they can fit updates into the internal program memory and the program source doesn't split (too far) from the cs3 code.

It would alienate too many people to stop support at this point. Note that they have specifically advertised that it can be used as a remote controller on the cs3+ so that would add to the liklihood of long term support.

In the short term they have said that the cs2 is to have an update to support (as a minimum) 32 functions on decoders, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't also contain code for connection to the cs3.

Note that technically a cs1 can be used as a remote control on a cs2, provided the cs1 has the most recent Marklin update - but having the ESU reload is specifically excluded from this. Marklin haven't made a big thing of this facility, and while the video et al doesn't mention the cs1 I suspect the same capability will exist between the cs3+ and cs1 albeit with limited functionality.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2016 17:14:04(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi,
Based on past experience:
- hardware support will continue for a very long time
- software upgrade will slow-down to only include major bug corrections. They already indicated the upgrade to 32 functions would not be supported by CS2.

Kind regards

Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2016 18:16:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi,
- software upgrade will slow-down to only include major bug corrections. They already indicated the upgrade to 32 functions would not be supported by CS2.

Kind regards

Jean

When was that indicated because all indications i have had is that the cs2 WILL be upgraded to 32 functions.

Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2016 19:40:15(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Kind regards

Jean

When was that indicated because all indications i have had is that the cs2 WILL be upgraded to 32 functions.

The memory store(1 GB) in the CS2 is not enough to handle with all 32 functions.
That´s way CS3 do have larger memory(4 GB),to handle with the new program and future upgrade.
The functions in the CS3 are just an example and there is much more stuff in the CS3 what you might think.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline witzlerh  
#6 Posted : 18 February 2016 19:56:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Hmm. Not enough memory? Well in order to load sound profiles we have to have a USB memory stick (but should be called bump) installed. I just got a 16GB micro USB (it hardly stands out) and that will stay in there.

I can see if there is no memory stick that an upgrade should not proceed....
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2016 22:19:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

The memory store(1 GB) in the CS2 is not enough to handle with all 32 functions.
That´s way CS3 do have larger memory(4 GB),to handle with the new program and future upgrade.
The functions in the CS3 are just an example and there is much more stuff in the CS3 what you might think.

1GB not enough for 32 functions ??? Really??

Yes I can understand the cs3 having a larger memory because there will be new upgrades in the future, but the larger memory is probably just as likely to be that 4GB chips are more readily available and cheaper than 1GB chips after the 10 years existence of the cs2.

And you know how much stuff is in the cs3???

Alan (who works at the forefront of electronics)

Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 19 February 2016 06:56:25(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

1GB not enough for 32 functions ??? Really??

Yes I can understand the cs3 having a larger memory because there will be new upgrades in the future, but the larger memory is probably just as likely to be that 4GB chips are more readily available and cheaper than 1GB chips after the 10 years existence of the cs2.

And you know how much stuff is in the cs3???

Alan (who works at the forefront of electronics)

Yes i do know stuff about CS3.
When Lenz did present new version 3.6,they changed hardware and software to handle with more functions.
Just an example...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 19 February 2016 07:40:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Yes i do know stuff about CS3.
When Lenz did present new version 3.6,they changed hardware and software to handle with more functions.
Just an example...

That was 8 years ago, and the Lenz system was old at that time.

A very bad example, that just shows how little you really know about the CSxxs.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage