Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2016 07:52:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, today a new chapter started preparing and installing my braking modules, signal faders and opto coupler and the reflective opto coupler.

I've mounted everything on a wooden board to make things easier to connect them all together and it saves time and effort.

all the modules need now is the connecting wires from the reflective opto coupler (2 wires from each modules) to each braking module and 4 wires coming from the signals (red,green-yellow) and the common wire.

the track and overhead wires need also be connected and this will consist of 4 wires for each braking module (2 wires = activating the braking mode) and 2 wires for the braking section) I don't use the stop section as my sidings are so long. there are 8 braking modules on the winter modules (8 tracks) and going towards the freight terminal there I have to alter the current setup.
all switching tracks will be obsolete and as I've mentioned before will be replaced by reflective opto couplers.

the difference with the current setup is, the switching tracks operated via AC = braking module and the opto coupler's input voltage is AC but its output voltage is DC = braking module and the same goes for the signal faders input voltage AC output voltage DC. = braking module.

I have one situation whereas I cannot install an ESU micro servo motor (under the winter scenery) instead it will be a solenoid Märklin turnout motor, the current which goes into the braking module is to low to be able to switch, so I'm using another connection point normally used on the braking module for turning on and off lights etc etc. and instead this will be used to switch the turnout with its own AC power supply but the relay will turn it on and off and in my case both connection from the turnout will be on the on the position and when the relective optocoupler receives its pulse the turnout will switched either left or right.it took my a while to work out who to connect the tunrout.

furthermore I have Brawa lit station boards I don't think they are available anymore (from the 80's) with 2 independent light sources, 1 lights up the top sign: Ein Zug fährt ein = a train arrives) and this is lit constantly and on each lower side are 2 more lit boxes which indicate the track the train arrives and when this is lit you know a train arrives.

because I have my reflective opto coupler close to the end of the braking distance and close to the departure signal and which ever track your train enters and stops (track 1 or 2) the next track gets the green signal but it wouldn't be appropriate to light up the lower box when a train will again arrive on track 2. so I've decided to install another 2 reflective opto coupler with its own relay at the entry side and this will than appropriate announce or light up the track box, the lit up track box will go off at the same time when the departuresignal is turned to red.

bread board0000.JPGbread board0001.JPG

explanation:

brown and red wire = digital wires
brown and yellow wire = AC power

ESU Switch Pilot servo Module = red-black connectors (originally intended for manual operation of servo motors via toggle switches) to optocoupler

optocoupler = yellow wires = common = DC
blue wire = to brake module relay

reflective opto coupler: yellow + brown wire = AC
yellow-green = DC = brake module
blue wire = DC = brake module = relay.

bread board 10000.JPGbread board 10001.JPG

bread board 20000.JPG

hopefully the end by the week I've got a bit further.

John

Edited by user 12 January 2016 12:05:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109