Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline taliesin  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2015 12:31:30(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Hi everyone, I have an MS2 which could do with upgrading, I understand that this can be done by someone with an updated CS2, is there anyone in the UK who could help with this? reasonable expenses paid of course, many thanks in advance, cheers Rob
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2015 13:46:24(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: taliesin Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone, I have an MS2 which could do with upgrading, I understand that this can be done by someone with an updated CS2, is there anyone in the UK who could help with this? reasonable expenses paid of course, many thanks in advance, cheers Rob

Well, if you can come to Ians marklin Club UK meeting in the middle of February, i'm sure he'll allow you to plug your ms2 into his cs2.

Not sure if I know of anyone closer to you that could do it sooner.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2015 13:51:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Rob!
I understand that this can be done by someone with an updated CS2
Can also be done with an updated MS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline taliesin  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2015 13:59:54(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Well, if you can come to Ians marklin Club UK meeting in the middle of February, i'm sure he'll allow you to plug your ms2 into his cs2.

Not sure if I know of anyone closer to you that could do it sooner.

Thanks but I do not think I will be able to travel up to there, I was hoping to post it to someone maybe, and they could upgrade it and post it back. As I said I will cover all reasonable expenses, cheers Rob
Offline taliesin  
#5 Posted : 26 December 2015 14:01:43(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Rob!
I understand that this can be done by someone with an updated CS2
Can also be done with an updated MS2.

Thanks, also looking for a kind owner of an already updated MS2 then, cheers Rob
Offline chrisisrang  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2015 15:02:56(UTC)
chrisisrang

Your dealer should be doing it for you FoC. It is imperative that in this day and age we should strike a balance between value Vs price when choosing dealers. Upgrading an MS2 is a little thing that differentiates an outstanding dealer Vs a good dealer!

My two cents....

Cheers,

Chris
Offline taliesin  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2015 15:28:46(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: chrisisrang Go to Quoted Post
Your dealer should be doing it for you FoC. It is imperative that in this day and age we should strike a balance between value Vs price when choosing dealers. Upgrading an MS2 is a little thing that differentiates an outstanding dealer Vs a good dealer!

My two cents....

Cheers,

Chris

Well if there was such a thing as a UK Dealer...... Rob
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 26 December 2015 15:37:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

My two cents....

Cheers,

Chris

Yeah, which is a problem. Nigel, GlenM and the Brima crew were doing more to promote Marklin at the Warley show than the UK Marklin distributor.

Offline chrisisrang  
#9 Posted : 26 December 2015 18:25:09(UTC)
chrisisrang

My two cents....

Cheers,

Chris

That's the whole point I was trying to make, unless your dealer is half around the world, it should be fairly easy and convenient to get him to quickly update the MS and send it back.

Offline taliesin  
#10 Posted : 26 December 2015 18:39:09(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   

My two cents....

Cheers,

Chris

That's the whole point I was trying to make, unless your dealer is half around the world, it should be fairly easy and convenient to get him to quickly update the MS and send it back.

There is no active UK Dealer, plus I got my MS2 in a set which I had purchased second hand although mint and unused. If I could get it to a UK Dealer then I would do so, as it is to use a Dealer I would certainly have to send it out of the country if not half way around the world.
Your original reply said that we should pick our choice of Dealer carefully so I am really not sure what point you were trying to make, there are no active Dealers here in the UK.
If there was I would not be asking for help on here, hopefully now back on topic I am still hoping that there is someone who can help, cheers Rob
Offline NewMB  
#11 Posted : 26 December 2015 20:23:19(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
I would use one of the better known dealers in the whole of EU (and the world) as they are very good, speaks english and are easy to contact. I have used them for over 10 years!

www.lokshop.de

Can only call them during certain hours but usually are quick in responding to emails. All info on theor homepage.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline taliesin  
#12 Posted : 26 December 2015 20:25:46(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NewMB Go to Quoted Post
I would use one of the better known dealers in the whole of EU (and the world) as they are very good, speaks english and are easy to contact. I have used them for over 10 years!

www.lokshop.de

Can only call them during certain hours but usually are quick in responding to emails. All info on theor homepage.

Many thanks, if no one in the UK steps forward it may be the way to go, cheers Rob
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 26 December 2015 20:44:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

There is no active UK Dealer,

The only active Marklin UK dealer I am aware of is Mount Tabor Hobbies (advertises regularly in Continental Modeller).

He may be able to help if there isn't a forum member in a position to help you.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline taliesin  
#14 Posted : 26 December 2015 21:02:07(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

There is no active UK Dealer,

The only active Marklin UK dealer I am aware of is Mount Tabor Hobbies (advertises regularly in Continental Modeller).

He may be able to help if there isn't a forum member in a position to help you.

Thanks, just had a look at his website, even claims to be a Hag Dealer, if no one steps forward I will make contact, many thanks Rob
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#15 Posted : 26 December 2015 21:41:02(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
...well, I really do hope M brings out a new MS2 with a USB port - I also had to wait for a friend with an updated MS2 to get mine updated - such a pain in the proverbial. If only Cape Town was a tad nearer I would help you out in a flash :)
Joe
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Ian555  
#16 Posted : 27 December 2015 22:08:57(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Rob,

PM sent.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline taliesin  
#17 Posted : 27 December 2015 22:12:10(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Ian555 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Rob,

PM sent.

Ian.

Thanks but nothing has arrived here? cheers Rob
Offline taliesin  
#18 Posted : 27 December 2015 22:24:46(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Hi Rob,

PM sent.

Ian.

Thanks but nothing has arrived here? cheers Rob

Got it now lol, and many thanks indeed, Rob
Offline Nigel Packer  
#19 Posted : 27 December 2015 23:41:16(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Only just seen this! It looks as though Ian has stepped in to sort it out for you.

I'm always happy to help with this sort of thing, so if you need any other assistance, give me a yell.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline taliesin  
#20 Posted : 27 December 2015 23:48:25(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
Only just seen this! It looks as though Ian has stepped in to sort it out for you.

I'm always happy to help with this sort of thing, so if you need any other assistance, give me a yell.

Nigel

Thanks, I have sent a PM, cheers Rob
Offline RayF  
#21 Posted : 28 December 2015 00:59:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The lack of UK dealers is shameful. I remember not that long ago there were three dealers in Central London with the full range in stock. Now there is virtually none in the whole country.

There seems to be a fair number of UK Marklin enthusiasts on this forum, so what happened to Marklin's support for the UK Market?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline GlennM  
#22 Posted : 28 December 2015 10:28:01(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
The lack of UK dealers is shameful. I remember not that long ago there were three dealers in Central London with the full range in stock. Now there is virtually none in the whole country.

There seems to be a fair number of UK Marklin enthusiasts on this forum, so what happened to Marklin's support for the UK Market?

Ray,

I could not agree with your comments more, it is a disgrace and something we are hoping to change over time. Nigel is meeting Florian Sieber at Nuremburg 2016 to try and champion this very cause.

I have not been on much due to Xmas, and I have just seen this post, I am assuming Rob (Taliesin) has been able to update his MS through Ian, if not drop me a line and I would happily update if for you, or I see that Rob is in Cambridge and we could meet in London on my next trip down (mid-January) and upgrade it 'live' so to speak.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Ian555  
#23 Posted : 28 December 2015 10:56:48(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Glenn,

That would be real good of you, saves Rob having to post it up to Scotland.

Hope you're enjoying the holidays.

All the best.

Ian.

Offline GlennM  
#24 Posted : 28 December 2015 11:10:23(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi Glenn,

That would be real good of you, saves Rob having to post it up to Scotland.

Hope you're enjoying the holidays.

All the best.

Ian.

Morning Mr H,

No problem for me.

Enjoying the break, doing lots of cooking as wife is working and I wish it would stop raining!!!!!!!

Going down to Nigel's tomorrow for some Märklin therapy, I hope I will have some time to shoot a couple of videos.

How is the family, hope everyone is fit and well and enjoying the break, how did the grand children enjoy Christmas?

Speak soon

BR

Glenn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline taliesin  
#25 Posted : 28 December 2015 11:11:27(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Thanks Glenn, a PM has been sent. Now turning to the lack of a Marklin Dealer here in the UK, when I was a youth Marklin in the UK was handled by a company called W&H who were both importer/distributer and a retailer as well, the stocks were vast, as were the prices and it was not unknown for engines to be £200-£300 in an era when the average domestic market loco from the likes of Hornby was maybe £30, ok there was a marked difference in quality but not so great and not many could afford the Marlin stuff.
In time W&H crashed and it was certainly bandied around that vast unsold stocks of Marklin had been a major factor in their bankruptcy as they had so much capitol tied up in slow or basically non moving stock.
Whilst this was going on at a high street level there was also the rise of the "Swapmeet", not sure if this happened in other countries but basically the origin of the Swapmeet was that model railway enthusiasts met up and swapped their unwanted items with others which didn't last long and it very quickly turned into hobby dealers etc looking to make a bit of money to either build their own collection or suppliment their day time job etc etc. There are of course also full time traders now and some high street shops who trade at Swapmeets as well.
So what has this got to do with Marklin I hear you ask? Swampers bought in the culture of everything comes down to price, "I'm not buying that engine from high street shop, i can get it for a pound less at the swapmeet" was and is a commonly heard cry, people grew to know the price of everything but the value of nothing and we are now in a downward spiral of Model Railway Shops disappearing from the High Street on a weekly basis, coupled with the rise of the internet and that other modern way of selling the "Internet Dealer".
Now the Internet Dealer doesn't even need to wait for the Swapmeet to come around, all he needs is a garage/spare bedroom/garden shed and a computer and this is where Marklin seemed to end up in the UK for quite sometime. They were not proper Dealers as such, you couldn't go and buy things face to face, they wouldn't service your engine or indeed upgrade an MS2 but the price boy, look at the price, remember the Swapmeet mentality.
The problem with Swapmeets and Internet Dealers vs the high street is where are the new punters? they will venture into high street shops but not the other places, but there are so few high street shops now and so it becomes a vicious circle.
Now in this day and age we are all our own private internet dealer, we go online, find a Dealer who's price we like and purchase it from anywhere in the world using paypal/bank transfer etc etc. It all goes wrong though when we need a pot of paint, a set of brushes or one piece of track to complete a layout extension etc etc (upgrade an MS2 even).
Good luck to anyone who wants to set up a UK Dealership but it will need support from existing UK enthusiasts and Marklin to actually be interested.
I think I need to lie down now, regards to all, Rob
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline Unholz  
#26 Posted : 28 December 2015 11:22:49(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
It all goes wrong though when we need a pot of paint, a set of brushes or one piece of track to complete a layout extension etc etc (upgrade an MS2 even).

However, what I still fail to understand (even in this country where still many dealers of the traditional style exist) is the simple fact that Marklin does not offer the possibility to download an MS 2 update from the Internet. Angry IMHO, this is the actual source of frustration.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 28 December 2015 11:34:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
[...] is the simple fact that Marklin does not offer the possibility to download an MS 2 update from the Internet.
You can download the upgrades from the Internet - you just need a CS2 to transfer them.
The MS2 would need USB or a LAN connection to make the transfer without CS2.

Märklin's current upgrade plan: visit the friendly M* dealer twice a year to have your MS2 upgraded. Does not work in the UK.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted : 28 December 2015 11:55:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
It all goes wrong though when we need a pot of paint, a set of brushes or one piece of track to complete a layout extension etc etc (upgrade an MS2 even).

However, what I still fail to understand (even in this country where still many dealers of the traditional style exist) is the simple fact that Marklin does not offer the possibility to download an MS 2 update from the Internet. Angry IMHO, this is the actual source of frustration.

Stephan, you're right in that this is the cause of frustration on this thread, of course, but it is just one symptom of the sickness in our model world.

Whether the closing of model shops caused the sickness or is a result of it is not clear, but what is clear to me is that the whole hobby will eventually disappear if nothing is done.

Rob, in his earlier reply to my post, wrote about how he will bring this up with Marklin management with respect to the UK, but I think the sickness is spreading in other countries too.

In my opinion if there is a solution to this modern day problem it lies with "bricks and mortar" shops that also do business on the internet. If these shops can be a success in the core Marklin Market there is no reason why they should not be in other markets, as long as Marklin is willing to promote and nurture those markets.

One of the factors that killed interest in UK dealers was the stipulation that you had to have thousands of pounds of stock. This is a concept which is old fashioned and extremely inefficient. Dealers should be allowed to have a smaller stock but with an arrangement in place with Marklin to have weekly or even bi-weekly deliveries of new stock that customers can access.

If you go into a Marklin dealer and you are shown a selection of locomotives with the promise that any item from current the range can be in the shop by Monday if you want it then you are more likely to keep going back for more, especially if the price is comparable to buying the item from a German on-line shop.

If you then go into that shop's website and find that you can order many items with "next day delivery" you have guaranteed that the shop will keep your business.

Marklin can accomplish this by making it cheaper for dealers in the UK (for example) to provide the prices that UK customers will find attractive. They won't accomplish anything if they insist in protecting the German dealers with better financial incentives.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline taliesin  
#29 Posted : 28 December 2015 12:17:49(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
"They won't accomplish anything if they insist in protecting the German dealers with better financial incentives."

Without getting into politics is this legal under EU laws? Rob
Offline Ian555  
#30 Posted : 28 December 2015 12:40:45(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Ok, I'll put my hand up, I have never been in a shop/store that sells Marklin...

My wife Jane thinks that's a good thing...Smile

All the best.

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline GlennM  
#31 Posted : 28 December 2015 13:01:35(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Hi all,

Ok, I'll put my hand up, I have never been in a shop/store that sells Marklin...

My wife Jane thinks that's a good thing...Smile

All the best.

Ian.

So does your Bank Manager BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Offline grnwtrs  
#32 Posted : 28 December 2015 21:42:20(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Confused

There are not so many dealers in the Colonies as well, just the one biggie.Angry

But the biggie doesn't have much in stock.

You could also add the SERVICE aspect to the Maerklin dealers problems.

I have had service accomplished in a German internet shop completed
shore to shore in 20 days. That includes shipping, while a USA dealer has
to wait for ? months to get a part!!Confused

Regards,
gene
Offline kiwiAlan  
#33 Posted : 29 December 2015 00:25:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Whether the closing of model shops caused the sickness or is a result of it is not clear, but what is clear to me is that the whole hobby will eventually disappear if nothing is done.

The closing of model shops is a result of both. What used to be my local model shop closed down as the rental of the premises was crippling. He moved to a pleasant little seaside town where he now is predominantly an internet dealer, run from premises that he owns, so doesn't have the same rental overheads. I had bought some Marklin from him, but it was costing me around 50% more than buying from a german dealer over the internet. Some of this is relative VAT levels (evened up a bit now) and some of it was the profit he had to make on turnover to afford the shop rentals - and that was after Marklin had freed things up so that UK dealers could order direct from the factory without going through a distributor.

One of the factors that killed interest in UK dealers was the stipulation that you had to have thousands of pounds of stock. This is a concept which is old fashioned and extremely inefficient. Dealers should be allowed to have a smaller stock but with an arrangement in place with Marklin to have weekly or even bi-weekly deliveries of new stock that customers can access.

My local dealer never had the levels of stock you mention, and my dealer in NZ didn't either (as a requirement). I beleive this requirement died out long ago.

Marklin can accomplish this by making it cheaper for dealers in the UK (for example) to provide the prices that UK customers will find attractive. They won't accomplish anything if they insist in protecting the German dealers with better financial incentives.

I don't believe they can do that. They can only provide at the same prices as they sell to German dealers. The problems is the relative local costs of doing business. Commercial property rental rates in the UK are crippling a lot of businesses, not just MRR dealers, as landlords seem to want to put rentals up every year despite the economic situation doing a downturn. This is the reason a lot of shops on high streets everywhere are empty - it just isn't economic to rent them. The MRR Club I belong to has a lease on a commercial plot of land (we own the portacabins that form the club rooms) and that had a 3% p.a. escalator clause in it for the rent, although the landlord didn't always choose to invoke it, and in the last renewal they actually reduced the rent - but this is definitely not common practice.

Now I do believe the dealers (everywhere) get a discount the following year based on the previous years purchases from Marklin, but i have it form an inside source that this discount is not huge (as in single digits percentage).

To expand on taliesin's comment on why no Uk dealers, up until the early 2000's Gaugemaster had the UK distributorship for Marklin and Trix (not sure when they first got it) and they actively promoted Marklin, including having seminars bringing Dieter Lorenz over from Marklin for a weekend (it was at one of these weekends I got to know Nigel Packer). They also ran seminars for dealers, actively advertised Marklin (including prices) and had a heap of stock so you could order something and be likely to get it without that item only having been stocked to fill pre-orders. They actively supported dealers as well - although up until a couple of years before they lost the distributorship everything had to be ordered through them which added another 20-30% to the cost. However in that last couple of years dealers could order direct from Marklin, which held prices for a while.

However the distribution contract that Gaugemaster had came up for renewal. By this time Marklin had bought LGB, who had a distributor in the UK who was handling that product well, so Marklin figured this was the company to distribute Marklin and Trix as well. Immediately dealers had to order through the distributor again which hitched the prices up again, and they were hopeless as a distributor. My local dealer said they wouldn't hold stock, wouldn't give a price until they had received a shipment, and generally didn't understand the product line and couldn't support it properly. My dealer got to a point where he gave up handling Marklin because he refused to deal with the distributor, and I had the impression this was the situation with many dealers, so Marklin just disappeared from any dealers still in existence. This other distributor did eventually advertise Marklin in Continental Modeller (and possibly other places I am not aware of) but there was never any prices (not even RRP) so you could never work out a budget for what you might like to buy.

Now the distributorship has come up for renewal again, and back in about the middle of the year it was announced that it is returning to Gaugemaster. It will be interesting to see how they make out with it. At the Warley show in November they had some Z gauge and some of the battery My World sets on their stand, but that was about it. I suspect that they are waiting until the Nurnberg Fair in February to order stock (as many stock lines from the 2015 NI items would be past their order dates) and then push the product line again, but as I say, we'll see.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline taliesin  
#34 Posted : 14 January 2016 11:40:42(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
Well folks, my MS2 has had a quick holiday in Cheshire and has returned fully upgraded courtesy of Nigel but thats not all, he has also bought back to life a Roco Re 4/4 which I had managed to loose all contact will, I really must stop using a hammer and anvil when I introduce new loco's to the MS2.
Joking aside I want to record my thanks to Nigel on here, it is a frustration that there is no active Dealer here in the UK to undertake this task but having enthusiasts like Nigel around with his knowledge and generosity of spirit around makes this hobby a better place to be ThumpUp ThumpUp .
I am going on holiday tomorrow so I have only been able to have a quick play with the MS2 but I understand that I can now have 40 loks programmed in which is great news for me.
Nigel also included some recent new item catalogs in the box, presumingly to help me fill the forty slots available BigGrin , many thanks to all who helped, my best regards, Rob
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by taliesin
Offline H0  
#35 Posted : 14 January 2016 13:17:30(UTC)
H0

If your track box does not yet have version 1.39 then you can use your MS2 to upgrade the track box.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#36 Posted : 14 January 2016 14:09:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I wonder what version the ms2 will need to be to use with the cs3 ... Confused
Offline taliesin  
#37 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:30:35(UTC)
taliesin

United Kingdom   
If your track box does not yet have version 1.39 then you can use your MS2 to upgrade the track box.

Do you mean the box that the MS2 plugs into?
Offline H0  
#38 Posted : 14 January 2016 22:59:24(UTC)
H0

Yes. In the MS2 menu there is an entry "Update trackbox" or something like that. The next screen will show the current version (0.00 or 1.39) and the version that will be transferred (should be 1.39). Just select Cancel if you already have 1.39.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#39 Posted : 14 January 2016 23:02:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Yes!

I guess we aren't so badly off here in NZ after all. We have our Marklin Club which certainly holds a huge amount of expertise, including the ability to upgrade a MS2. The Club has just celebrated it's 40th anniversary, so must be doing something right. We also have a good dealer in Toottoot who hold a good amount of stock including spare parts, and in Dion we have someone who is able to service and repair items (Dion is an electronics engineer by trade). And we also have a large group of Marklin enthusiasts in the country.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz