Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 16 December 2015 00:36:40(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
First actual photos of the 40661 SBB tin plate cars:

https://www.haertle.de/M...n+Plate+SBB+Spur+H0.html

https://www.haertle.de/o...t-tin-plate-sbb-h0-3.jpg
https://www.haertle.de/o...t-tin-plate-sbb-h0-4.jpg

Maerklin had a model of the SBB WRm diner since the late 1960s (4068) until the 1990s. They just released a model of the same coach in 1:93 as 43874.
The 10 Restaurant coaches were delivered to the SBB with UIC Numbering. They were among the first coaches worldwide with this new marking system.

The actual coach can be seen here: http://www.railfaneurope...RIC/CFF_WR-RIC_Lux_1.jpg

All of the coaches were ordered with the intended numbers WR 10201 through 10210, but were delivered as WR 51 85 88-30 000 through 51 85 88-30 009
The markings were changed in 1968 to 51 85 88-70. The coaches were later on renumbered WRm 61 85.
(Translated from a page that previously appeared at www.seak.ch)

The new Maerklin model is marked as WR 10203 and has the SBB + CFF markings. None of these diner cars were ever put into service with the original numbers. Additionally, the markings on the actual diner cars only had the SBB CFF markings without the Swiss crest in the middle, as was rendered by Maerklin in both the 4068 and 43874 versions.

I thought it would be cool to have these coaches to complete the tin plate consist that I had from childhood, but I am disappointed that Maerklin went off on a tangent here.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2015 03:13:35(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Knowing mint originals can be had for the same price or less, I don't entirely see the appeal... (although they are great looking cars!) I just prefer the genuine article.

I do see the attraction the locos offer though, as they have the modern electronics...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 17 December 2015 07:20:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Maerklin only released the 4066 coach in first class with either the SBB + CFF or <+> SBB CFF FFS markings. They never released a second class or mixed first and second class version until now. Those modellers who had the original coach(es) had to use the earlier 348/1/4038 for second class coach or compose a train using only first class coaches. The new models include a pair of second class coaches and a mixed coach, along with the reproduction of the restaurant coach.

I will happily add the second class coaches to the ones that I already have and am happy that Maerklin has finally gotten around to this model.
Many years ago, they released a limited version for the Austrian market in the Jaffa colours of the OBB in both first and second class versions.

I did not address the locomotives in this thread, only the coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 17 December 2015 07:51:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I have two originals with clear windows and no interior.
Marklin advertised the replica set with milky windows so as not to show the naked interior.
Much to my surprise it now appears the coaches have clear windows.
Is there an interior i wonder because that would do them really good.

http://www.suter-meggen....iment/bilder/40661gr.jpg

I have in mind to buy the replica set together with a green 3050 loco,the red loco i have.
I would then sell the two originals,one green passenger and one red diner.

Nice set!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 17 December 2015 11:19:54(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
First actual photos of the 40661 SBB tin plate cars:

Hello Marklineers,

Sorry if I am sidetracking a bit, but these models reminded me of a "set" (made up of individuals) of HAG metal coaches and an Re 4/4 that I bought on Hauptbahnhofstrasse in Zurich in 1983.

The coaches (but not the restaurant) have interior details.
We traveled on the same sort of consists around Switzerland that year. :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

(the lightsignal post is actually upright, it's a trick of the lens!)

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

They hold great memories for me!

Regards,

PJ
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline NS1200  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2015 20:10:35(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
PJ

They look great,especially the bagagacoach,you cannot have it more Swiss than this!

However,they do not appear to be the same coach type as the Marklin type in set 40661.

Your coaches seem to be for more regional traffic whereas the M type is for express trains.
The bogies of your coaches are positioned more to the corners.

What they have in common is that they are all "Leicht Stahl" ("Light Steel),which was a revolution in Europe,gone were the days of heavy steel express coaches.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 17 December 2015 20:48:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
PJ.

I was surprised to see that the old Hag coaches look that good behind the "New Generation" Re 4/4II. That is a nice consist. I had a few of those old Hag coaches. I still have a SOB-BT consist to go with the SOB Re 4/4 (Old Generation). Both the coaches and the locomotives were a little taller and wider that 1:87, which they inherited from the scale used by Fleischmann in the early days of HO. One of the very special things about that set is the opening doors on the baggage car with the yellow bar that keeps the crew from falling out.

Today, most of my rolling stock is 1:87, although I have quite a bit of 1:93 and 1:100 lying around. I try not to have trains in different scales on the tracks at the same time.

@PJ. The Hag coaches are EWI stock. The Maerklin 4066/40661 represent the EWII. Both of these coach types were used in domestic trains, be it lokalzug, regionalzug or schnellzug (Intercity).

The Hag model is the same coach type as the new Hag models (or Lima 309516/309528 on which they were based) or even the newer Liliput (also based on the Lima model). The Maerklin model is the same coach type as the Roco model (4239S/44329).

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2015 22:42:49(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
All great looking coaches, as for me too, they are indeed carrying long time memories.
Bought my (pseudo EW I/II) HAG set in Geneva (Jouets Böller) back in 1992, along with an Re 4/4 I from HAG too.
In fact these HAG coaches and the Märklin 4068 are a good match too, and I have a consist like that running on my layout.
I already received the two "nostalgia" Ae 6/6, and a brief test showed that they run absolutely smooth, even with a 10 old Märklin 348/x consist, like a good solid Märklin loco should.
But they are back in their box: they are supposed to be under the Xmas tree.
My dealer in Paris just advised that the 40661 set is on its way ...will join the Loks, and have to wait until the 25th!

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 19 December 2015 05:59:16(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Are the M coaches having clear windows or milky windows as advertised earlier?
If they have clear windows,are they having an interior,in particular the restaurant coach?
Who can tell?
Offline Armando  
#10 Posted : 19 December 2015 06:32:53(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
If they have clear windows,are they having an interior,in particular the restaurant coach?
Who can tell?

I have these coaches on backorder. Although I haven't seen the final product yet, it would really surprise me if they didn't come with interior details, at least the passenger cars. The original 4066, in its second version with the SBB/CFF/FSS already came with interior details. However, I don't think that any of the original 4068 dining car did.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 19 December 2015 11:28:58(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Who can tell?

I have these coaches on backorder. Although I haven't seen the final product yet, it would really surprise me if they didn't come with interior details, at least the passenger cars. The original 4066, in its second version with the SBB/CFF/FSS already came with interior details. However, I don't think that any of the original 4068 dining car did.

Exactly, my 4066 has interior upon closer look,but the dining car has nothing like that.
First advertisements of the set showed milky windows,latest pictures show clear windows,indicating they now all have interior.
Even for a replica set,selling them with the naked interior would be unlogical.

Edited by user 27 December 2015 11:05:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2015 11:01:08(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
My order 40661 was delivery at Lokshop week before Christmas, Not arrive here in time for Xmas until January.

Will post photos when arrive.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 28 December 2015 09:05:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
My set was on-time under the Xmas tree.
Very nice.
The kind of quality we expect from Marklin.
Marking especially is ( way) better than on the originals.
The coaches have interiors, the restaurant car doesn't.
I have now a new consist running on my layout with these coaches plus two of the original 4066 and a HAG baggage car, all that behind the green Loco from the 30501 set.(which also happens to be flawless !)
My nostalgia heart just went into tachycardia !!Cool LOL
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline NS1200  
#14 Posted : 28 December 2015 12:36:55(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Jacques,

Thank you for the review.
I will skip the set from my wishlist.
I have one naked restaurant car already,no need to have a second.
Would have loved the set with milky windows as originally advertised.

Oh well,it gives some financial room to buy another analogue loco.........
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 29 December 2015 04:47:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't remember any announcement of milky windows. There was some discussion of whether the Ae 6/6 would come with windows like the original 3050 or the later 3350, but none of the SBB coaches ever came with frosted windows and AFAIR there was never any discussion of whether the reissue would be any different. The only questions were would the coaches have the SBB type bogies and interior details of the later versions of the 4066. The first ones had Minden Deutz bogies and no interior.

Regards

Mike C
Offline NS1200  
#16 Posted : 29 December 2015 09:14:37(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
I don't remember any announcement of milky windows. There was some discussion of whether the Ae 6/6 would come with windows like the original 3050 or the later 3350, but none of the SBB coaches ever came with frosted windows and AFAIR there was never any discussion of whether the reissue would be any different. The only questions were would the coaches have the SBB type bogies and interior details of the later versions of the 4066. The first ones had Minden Deutz bogies and no interior.

Regards

Mike C

Have a look at the initial advertisements of the 40661 set.

Offline Bart  
#17 Posted : 30 December 2015 15:46:28(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
The coaches come with interiors - the diner doesn't

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I don't think the drawings in the 2015 new items leaflet were intended to suggest milky windows - Note the difference with the frosted toilet window
UserPostedImage
*Bart
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 30 December 2015 19:57:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post
The coaches come with interiors - the diner doesn't
I don't think the drawings in the 2015 new items leaflet were intended to suggest milky windows - Note the difference with the frosted toilet window
UserPostedImage

I would agree with you there, it is just an artists impression to show that the windows are glazed without showing any detail behind the glass.

The same thing is done in the catalogues from the 50s & 60s to show the windows are glazed.

Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 30 December 2015 20:19:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Bart,

two quick observations:

1) Can you post a photo of the writing on the inside of the passenger coach? Does each coach have an individual number or are the coaches numbered by set?

2) In the second photo, the roof of the dining coach is installed backwards. The pantograph should be above the dining compartment and not above the kitchen.

Regards

Mike C
Offline NS1200  
#20 Posted : 30 December 2015 20:45:28(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
A missed chance if you ask me.
The DSG red tinplate diner coach has interior,i have one.
The TEE tinplate diner coach has also interior,i have that one too.
The SBB tinplate diner coach has no interior and clear windows,exposing the naked interior,a shame really.

Likewise,i also have the 4068 Kakadu Halbspeisenwagen (=half diner car) without interior,a pitty really for such a nice tinplate coach.
Offline Bart  
#21 Posted : 31 December 2015 11:52:15(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Bart,

1) Can you post a photo of the writing on the inside of the passenger coach? Does each coach have an individual number or are the coaches numbered by set?
(...)
Regards

Mike C

UserPostedImage

Interesting numbering...
Just to hypothesize: do the double numbers suggest that M* are planning to release a second series? Era IV?
...And that the missing xx47/48 numbers suggest a future EW II A coach?
*Bart
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bart
Offline Bart  
#22 Posted : 19 August 2016 17:19:48(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
While we ended this tread complaining that the 40661 dining coach lacked an interior, I now realized that I never posted the upgrade I did after recieving my 40661 set last winter.
I sacrificed one of my many Swiss 4217 diners to obtain an interior.

I acknowledge that the interior may not be prototypical for an EW II coach, but I'm happy with the results

UserPostedImage
Added 2mm yellow leds as table lamps, and warm white led strips

UserPostedImage
I only equipped the large tables with table lamps - not protoypical but fine for me as a first try

UserPostedImage
The interior had to be cut to adjust the tables to the window intervals, and to accommodate the tin plate divider

UserPostedImage
Added a Tams function decoder to separately switch the table lamps and the ceiling lights

UserPostedImage
And finally, marker lights (precision drilling in the curved tin plate is not my favorite part)

UserPostedImage
To save on 2-pole conducting couplers, I used 1.27mm plugs (same standard as the 21p MTC connectors).
For the connections, I changed from black-red to black-black wires for less visibility.
After coupling, the plug is pushed back through the connecting door window, and only the wires are visible, not unlike break hoses.
Even with the tin plate coaches not being very close-coupled, the wires are hardly visible.

UserPostedImage
End result of the first project.
I learned that connecting the table leds by soldering their hard legs directly together makes it hard to keep them perpendicular.
For the next diner, I will shorten the legs and use flexible wire, to enable better adjustment
*Bart
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bart