Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tiki734  
#1 Posted : 22 November 2015 13:40:11(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Hi
I sure someone can help with this one. I keep seeing U498 on auctions but I never quite worked out what it does. I think it is a reversing unit but I'm not sure if it is for a retrofit into an earlier engine. Also I have never seen the hand lever version H498. So what is this part for.
RogerU498.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tiki734
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2015 23:59:02(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Roger,

Yes it's a retrofit of sorts for the 700 series locomotives. In 1935 when 00 was first released, reversing was either done with the hand level on the locomotive or with the 3600 AR track which would reverse the current. Then I believe in late 1936 (?) the U498 was devised to plug into the same 3 sockets that the hand lever was plugged into. One lead comes directly from the pick-up shoe and the other 2 leads go to the motor so it forms a switch depending on which direction you want it to go. This remove reversing unit on the loco also requires the reversing unit 494 "remote reversing unit" which I think plugs into the track and the transformer? Technically I'm not very sure how this worked. Later in 1938 it was replaced by the "perfect reversing system" of the 800 series which used a mechanical electromagnet to switch the directions when the transformer delivered a higher voltage pulse.

Best,

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Hoffmann  
#3 Posted : 23 November 2015 03:30:17(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   

Hi.

THis looks very much like a Selenium Diode ( 2 units together ) in conjunction with the Track unit it would switch polaridy in the Engine for reversing direction.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann