Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline stevep  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2015 18:16:58(UTC)
stevep

United States   

Hello,
Yesterday I received my brand new Marklin 43918 passenger car set. Looks great but I have a few questions.

1. None of the factory installed coach lights illuminate. I am confident that I have positioned the coaches in correct order with #7 closest to the loco, then the diner, then #6 and #5. The pick up shoe is
located under the rear wheels of coach #5. It is contacting the track center line. I double checked the cars' coupler connections and they seem to be correct.

2. My brand new Marklin Steam loco 37918 BR 03.10 is struggling to pull these coaches with lots of wheel slip. This is surprising to me because Marklin's online product data base for the 37918 says car set 43918 is "suitable" for this loco. I not changed any settings on the 37918. The 37918 seems to run just fine when it is not pulling coaches. And it was able to pull my 3 much older express coaches no problem.
My new 37741 diesel can pull the 43918 coaches no problem.

I oiled the 43918 wheels with marklin oil as shown on the box. I cleaned my track and checked my connections. Still no luck solving these problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2015 20:31:05(UTC)
H0

Hi, Steve,

with just coach #5 on the powered track, the lights of this coach should be on. If all coaches remain dark, then maybe there is a problem with the wire from the centre rail pickup (slider).

Re 2: Make sure the traction tyres are not oiled. It may help to reduce the pressure of the centre rail slider and the axle sliders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline stevep  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2015 21:10:22(UTC)
stevep

United States   
Tom,
Thanks for your reply. 2 questions:
1. Noticed the coaches appear to be wired to work with both AC and DC systems. I don't think that should make a difference? or should I consider cutting the current wires which appear to run directly
from the cars' axles while leaving the connection to the pick up shoe intact?

2. I can send these new cars back the seller for replacement/repair but that will take some time. Is there somewhere I can obtain instructions on how to properly disassemble the coaches to check
and see if there is a problem I can fix on my own?

As for the loco I will inspect the traction tires more closely.

Thanks
Steve
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 November 2015 08:20:25(UTC)
H0

Steve,

You can test the interior lights by putting a coach on the track and holding a loose wire at the centre rail and the metal part of the power conducting coupler. You can even try that for the coach that has the slider.
If lights work in all four coaches, then the problem is only with the coach that has the slider and the problem must be with the wire that comes from the slider.

Warning: never try this for coaches that have a decoder (like the snoring sleeping car, the dining coach with the burning fat, or the new disco coach) or when the coaches are connected to a loco with a power-conducting coupler.

To open the coaches, remove the diaphragms at both ends, then you can take the body off the frame.

Should you open the train for inspection or is it better to return it for warranty repair? That depends.
It seems you never opened such a coach. So maybe you better take no risks in case you consider returning the coaches to the dealer for a refund or a warranty repair - better do not break anything off before you return it.

I think the coaches are "AC" only, i.e. for three-rail operation. The train needs one slider and axle sliders on each coach. Axle sliders on a single truck per coach would be enough, two trucks per coach would reduce the flickering, but increase the drag.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline stevep  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2015 15:50:22(UTC)
stevep

United States   
Tom,
Thanks for your further response. I opened the last coach #5 which is the coach with track slider -pick up shoe and discovered that
the wires to the LED light bar were not connected to the light bar. I made this connection and now the lights in that coach work. I connected coach #5 to coach #6 and the lights in coaches #5 and #6
are now working. No lights yet in the dining car or coach #7. I bet there is another unconnected wire in the dining car. I will look in the dining car tonight.
Thanks again for your help.
Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by stevep
H0
Offline db ice3  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2015 18:30:17(UTC)
db ice3

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Steve,

Warning: never try this for coaches that have a decoder (like the snoring sleeping car, the dining coach with the burning fat, or the new disco coach) or when the coaches are connected to a loco with a power-conducting coupler.

hi steve ( or anyone else who know this information ) ...

can you tell me the article numbers for the snoring sleeping car, the dining car with fat burning and the disco car please - i would love to have these!

many many thanks!

Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2015 18:52:51(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Steve,

hi steve ( or anyone else who know this information ) ...

can you tell me the article numbers for the snoring sleeping car, the dining car with fat burning and the disco car please - i would love to have these!

many many thanks!

All three sold out at factory and is different to find it but few on ebay.de but price high that RRP.

43252 Sleeping car >43252<
43866 Dining car >43866< (image not available)
43868 Disco car >43868<
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline hgk  
#8 Posted : 25 November 2015 23:23:08(UTC)
hgk

. . .
43252 Sleeping car >43252<
43866 Dining car >43866< (image not available)
43868 Disco car >43868<

. . .
Fwiw
you tube has some clips with the audio.
George
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2015 07:38:58(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: stevep Go to Quoted Post
Tom,
Thanks for your further response. I opened the last coach #5 which is the coach with track slider -pick up shoe and discovered that
the wires to the LED light bar were not connected to the light bar. I made this connection and now the lights in that coach work. I connected coach #5 to coach #6 and the lights in coaches #5 and #6
are now working. No lights yet in the dining car or coach #7. I bet there is another unconnected wire in the dining car. I will look in the dining car tonight.
Steve

Another example of poor quality control by Marklin. In another thread I suggested that rockets need to by correctly placed in some of the department managers. If yjis is not done soon, then Marklin will be in serious financial trouble again,

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2015 18:26:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: stevep Go to Quoted Post
Tom,
Steve

Another example of poor quality control by Marklin. In another thread I suggested that rockets need to by correctly placed in some of the department managers. If yjis is not done soon, then Marklin will be in serious financial trouble again,

I don't know the details of the internals of these particular coaches, but these connectors could have shaken out in transport. It would only need the box to have a serious impact at a critical angle in shipment for this to happen. The fact that it happened to multiple coaches in one set suggests this is the probable cause rather than anything missed by Marklin.