Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mark5  
#1 Posted : 17 November 2015 05:57:55(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Märklinists...

Apparently my VT 08.5 has an ESU 4 decoder.
I am told if I set the register 75 to say 09 and then I can access F5-F8 by dialing up 09 on your 6021.

If so, how do I set the register 75 to 09 in the decoder with the 6021?
I have never set an CV settings with my 6021, although I have seen in the manual.
What actually is "register 75".
Any step by step help on this would be fantastic.

Also if this works, does anyone know if this would work for my M39100 VT 10.5 Senator?

Also anyone who has an 6036 80f controller and cable they want to unload or trade for I am interested in buying one.
I may be able to get a 6035 80 but since that unit does have the function buttons, I would prefer to get the 80f
(Guessing they gave it an 'f' in 80f to mean it does have function buttons.)

Thank you!
- Mark

Edited by user 12 January 2017 23:07:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2015 06:20:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Your 6021 manual tells you how to program a decoder with the 6021. Did you read it?

I have posted this before, but here is the process on how to program with the 6021.

To program Locos with 6021

1) reset - press stop + go together
2) dial up number 80
3) stop
4) reverse + go - lights on loco should flash
5) select prameter(CV) (e.g. 01 for address) - select reverse (in your case key 75 for CV 75)
6) dial value (09 for your secondary address) (lights should start flashing real fast) - select reverse
7) stop
8) go
9) test new setting

Common CV Settings

01 Address - value 01 - 80
03 Accleration/Braking Delay - value 01 - 31
05 Max Speed - value 01 - 63
08 Reset Decoder back to defaults - value 08
63 Volume Level
75 2nd loco address for decoders that support this feature, for functions 5 to 8

CV 7 contains the versions number. You can read it if the decoder supports DCC.
CV 8 should return 151 for ESU

Typing "94" and then "93" should flash the LED once, twice, or thrice - depending on the firmware of the 6021.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2015 07:59:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Ex works it had an ESU mfx decoder. The ESU 4 decoders came many years later.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
With mfx decoders it is 03 for acceleration delay and 04 for braking delay with a value range of 1 to 255 (6021 is limited to 01 through 79).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2015 18:57:35(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thank you Tom and David,
That is very helpful.

Tom, does this programming of the secondary address work for MFX decoder that I have then?
And do you know if it will work for my 39100?

Thanks again!
- Mark

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Ex works it had an ESU mfx decoder. The ESU 4 decoders came many years later.

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
With mfx decoders it is 03 for acceleration delay and 04 for braking delay with a value range of 1 to 255 (6021 is limited to 01 through 79).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2015 22:45:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thank you Tom and David,
That is very helpful.

Tom, does this programming of the secondary address work for MFX decoder that I have then?
And do you know if it will work for my 39100?

Thanks again!
- Mark

I believe it will work for all mfx decoders, as until mfx decoders were introduced Marklin decoders were limited to 4 functions plus F0 lights. So the dual address method was provided to allow those buying new items while using there existing digital system, and provided access to 8 functions for these users.

Also I believe that there are some recent decoders that can be set to 4 different addresses allowing access to all 16 functions from a 6021, but this doesn't seem to be widely disseminated information. I can't recall off hand if this can be done with Marklin decoders, but I think ESU loksound v4 decoders can (I think this is how I came across this ability).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2015 00:30:48(UTC)
H0

All mfx decoders that were factory-installed by Märklin support at least 2 addresses.
The new Märklin mfx decoders support 4 addresses, but in my experience you need a CS2 to activate those four addresses. Once configured, the four addresses can be used with CU 6021 or Intellibox to get 15 functions (F0 through F14) F15 should work, but in my experience it does not work.

With recent ESU V4 decoders you can use 4 addresses to get 17 functions (F0 through F16).

See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...unctions-with-mfx-locos/
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#7 Posted : 28 December 2015 07:28:32(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks again to Tom and David, ThumpUp
After reading the description in the locomotive/railcar brochure and looking at the odd diagrams of the 6021 with the arrows all around it, your simple description was by far the easiest way to do it. In fact, it was so simple I carefully read out the both of the descriptions to my daughters to compare them and my 12 and 10 years old girls programmed the second address and gleefully tested the new sounds. Great thing about this was for them to see they could change the settings themselves and now are gung ho about changing the other CVs. Got to make sure they don't get too enthusiastic and go for everything at once. Scared

The one minor snag is that when you turn off the power to the 6021 and start it up the next day/later the sound of the new functions is played on the locomotive until you punch in the call number and stop it. Spoils a bit of the drama sequence when showing it off to guests.
- Mark
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 28 December 2015 08:07:13(UTC)
H0

Spoils a bit of the drama sequence when showing it off to guests.
Just turn off the sound (and the lights) before leaving the layout.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2015 09:43:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Also I believe that there are some recent decoders that can be set to 4 different addresses allowing access to all 16 functions from a 6021, but this doesn't seem to be widely disseminated information. I can't recall off hand if this can be done with Marklin decoders, but I think ESU loksound v4 decoders can (I think this is how I came across this ability).

The new generation of Marklin decoders have up to 4 addresses that can be set to allow access to 16 function - F0 thru F15. There are some recent posts in the forum by (Peter) Clapcott describing this feature - will see if I can find them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2015 09:45:37(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Refer to this thread...... Using New Digital Locos with 6021
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2017 02:16:32(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
This Christmas we got around to programming a second address for the VT 08.5 so we have four new functions, but then when I went to refer to the manual to find out what the default CVs are ...such as volume control values, I could find none.

So my first question here: What are the factory value settings for volume? I am hoping to avoid having to set them over and over until I find the right one.

Secondly, I noticed that there are two more functions that I don't have in the two addresses. And the option for compressed air would be interesting. So how do I set a third address for the locomotive for the other two addresses?

Cheers,
Mark

(Really enjoy seeing the posts again after a year's absence.)
Offline Mark5  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2017 04:43:01(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Found an answer to my second question... will have to try this tomorrow.

"Just like with the older decoders, you set the first address via register 1 and the second address via register 75. Register 17 sets the third address (for F9 through F12). And register 18 can be used to set the fourth address (for F13 through F16)...."

. ... So how do I set a third address for the locomotive for the other two addresses?

Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2017 12:10:45(UTC)
H0

Make sure your VT 08.5 has a Märklin decoder. The first version with ESU decoder is limited to 2 addresses.
See also:
https://www.marklin-user...ons-with-6021#post537212
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2017 20:10:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Found an answer to my second question... will have to try this tomorrow.

"Just like with the older decoders, you set the first address via register 1 and the second address via register 75. Register 17 sets the third address (for F9 through F12). And register 18 can be used to set the fourth address (for F13 through F16)...."

. ... So how do I set a third address for the locomotive for the other two addresses?

Please also be aware that depending on the decoder, only setting CVs 75, 17 and 18 is insufficient. AND/OR not necessary.

CV49 comes into play with TWO aspects
a) setting the number of addresses (1,2,3 or 4)
b) whether the addresses are to be sequential or specific. It is only if this is set to specific that CVs75,17,18 are references. If set to sequential, then they are set automatically/incrementally based on the main CV1 address.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Mark5  
#15 Posted : 11 January 2017 06:35:34(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Ok Gents,

Concerning my VT 08.5, M# 39080 I tried to set the third address using register aka CV17 by itself, then I tried to set three addresses using CV49 by itself, and then CV49 to three in value so that I could then set the the third address with CV17. I tried the combinations multiple times, lights of the loco flashed and everything seemed to be done correctly. However, none of these worked, so I am assuming that either the decoder does not respond to the third address being programmed or that I am doing something wrong. I am not sure of the date of manufacture, as I read somewhere that only certain decoders have/had that ability.

I have managed to program the max speed and breaking and acceleration delay without problems.
As well as the second address.

Another curiosity though: Is it possible to program the volume of sounds independently within one decoder?

I wanted the engine sounds slightly louder, but the horn is too loud and I am concerned it will damage the speaker at that volume.
I have the value currently set at 27 but I imagine this all varies from decoder to decoder.
Again I wish it were possible to know the default values of each locomotive, before playing with them using the 6021.

I am wondering if I could find someone locally with a CS unit that could change around some of the F settings. Would it be possible to change the position of some settings... say trade places between F8 and F9?

- Mark
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 11 January 2017 08:18:28(UTC)
H0

Concerning my VT 08.5, M# 39080 [...]
Old ESU decoder, only two MM addresses.

Another curiosity though: Is it possible to program the volume of sounds independently within one decoder?
Can be done with CS2 - not sure if it can be done with the first-generation mfx decoder of your VT 08.5.

I am wondering if I could find someone locally with a CS unit that could change around some of the F settings. Would it be possible to change the position of some settings... say trade places between F8 and F9?
F0 through F15 are equal in the decoder and everything can be moved around.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage