Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnmarklin  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2015 20:03:39(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   

Good evening all,

I know this is a non Marklin query but this item appeals to me and I would like to find out more about it. Some of you knowledgeable members might be able to assist me.

I have been offered this item but am unsure of its originality. The car comes with a Bing 18 volt electric motor. It is O gauge and 3 rail. It has a Bing logo on the motor which would suggest that it was made after 1924.

The Livery is LNER London North Eastern Railway and is finished in a painted teak finish. I do know that Bing made trains for Gamages of London (now closed) which was a very large department store. Is this a special for them or is it the work of an accomplished modeller?

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by johnmarklin
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2015 21:16:10(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi John,

I cannot confirm or deny the originalty of that railcar. The BING - catalogue for GB: "The modern types of Bing railways" approx. 1928 shows this train which looks very similar to you model.

UserPostedImage

Scan taken from: Claude Jeanmaire: BING, Die Modellbahnen unserer Großväter , Archiv Nr. 17, Villingen (CH), 1972

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline hgk  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2015 00:00:41(UTC)
hgk

Offline johnmarklin  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2015 11:27:11(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Markus and HGK,

Thank you for answering my query. Markus, that image helped me a lot. It confirmed that the item is an original as there were opinions offered from others suggesting that it was a conversion done by an accomplished modeller.

I am happy to say that another contact located an image of the actual unit that I have. My version is 18volts which suggests to me that it might be an early version. Unfortunately I only have the one coach. I will have to search for the others, HGKs link gives me hope but I think I will have difficulty finding the trailing car.

Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2015 10:55:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: johnmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Markus and HGK,

Thank you for answering my query. Markus, that image helped me a lot. It confirmed that the item is an original as there were opinions offered from others suggesting that it was a conversion done by an accomplished modeller.

I am happy to say that another contact located an image of the actual unit that I have. My version is 18volts which suggests to me that it might be an early version. Unfortunately I only have the one coach. I will have to search for the others, HGKs link gives me hope but I think I will have difficulty finding the trailing car.

Think positive - somewhere, someone may just have a trailer thinking "I will have difficulty finding the Loco for this" Wink
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline johnmarklin  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2015 18:55:08(UTC)
johnmarklin

Ireland   
Thank you to all who have shown interest in this topic. I have now returned the items to their owner as the price being sought was significantly higher than the valuations I got from various sources.

John