Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjlauritsen  
#1 Posted : 11 November 2015 09:44:01(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi all

A dealer of mine recently got a load of old Märklin catalogues from the 70'es and 80'es, and asked me if they had any particular value. The catalogues (I have not seen them) should be in "mint condition" and very well kept through the years.

To be honest, I am no expert on this, and I have no real interest in these catalogues, but I promised the dealer to ask around to see if someone might be able to give us a hint on a price range. Personally, I am not expecting much, but as I said, I am no expert. Smile

He also received an almost complete collection of MIBA, which we are trying to work out as well.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 11 November 2015 10:00:45(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hi,

I am also not an expert in that but last year bought all HO main catalogs that I didn't have since 1960.
They have value yes, but the most valuable (at least last year) are the ones before 1960 or so. You can check the prices in ebay.
If they are in english, the price is better check in ebay.com and not in ebay.de
Catalogs form the 50ies are expensive (for example 25 euros or more). The thing is the post and package from the US to Europe. In order to reduce costs
I found sellers that had several catalogs and ordered several in each buy and that ended in an acceptable price.
There is also one thing to consider before decide to buy old catalogs, that is even if they are mint the paper is old and must handled with extreme care for not damage. In practice this is not practical and touch those catalogs is kind of a ceremony... BigGrin Anyway it is a pleasure.

For just have a look at items from those years, most of the time I look at the pdf files from the catalogs instead of the catalogs themselves.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2015 08:08:28(UTC)
H0

Hi!

A few years ago I bought some catalogues, mainly ’80s and ’90s, but also ’70s and ’00s from eBay. In most cases I got them for € 1 or € 1.50. For some I paid € 2 if I already got other catalogues from the dealer as postage usually was higher than the catalogue cost.

I was after the information, not the collector’s items - not all are in mint condition, but all were in good or very good condition.

I bought German catalogues. Other languages may achieve higher prices.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2015 08:24:57(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The last time I bought the catalogues, I paid around A$20.. As Toms says the German ones were much cheaper, but the cheapest I found were still A$10.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2015 11:13:18(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Hello Marklineers !

I do like accumulating the cattledogs; my oldest is 1952 english (the year I was born!)

But, as Tom says, for the information, not because I feel they have any intrinsic collection value.
I do think the old ones are quaint.

Regards,

PJ
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2015 00:29:03(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
For just have a look at items from those years, most of the time I look at the pdf files from the catalogs instead of the catalogs themselves.

Miguel

Where do you go to see the catalogues? Sounds intriguing. BigGrin

However, these cataloguese are DANGEROUS and can severely damage your... pocket book. Wink

That is how I got back into the hobby after a 44-year absence.

It was a 1963-64 catalogue in Italian I saw on Internet and I just had to have it. In very good conditions, mint you might say. It did cost me around $30.00 with the shipment, but it was worth it. ThumpUp

Both my 3000 and 3035 locomotore are there. BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline grnwtrs  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2015 06:08:47(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Hello Marklineers !

I do like accumulating the cattledogs; my oldest is 1952 english (the year I was born!)

But, as Tom says, for the information, not because I feel they have any intrinsic collection value.
I do think the old ones are quaint.

Regards,

PJ

I am with you on the catalogs. I started in 1966, but then in the late 1990's I started to accumulate
some of the stuff in the 1960's I could not afford. I use/used the catalogs to identity wants/consists,
and some of the accessories that I wanted to add. I mean by this the kran,and the turntable.
I have several of the early Kran's, and really enjoy them.

I haven't thought of going back any further than 1952,because I could not afford the stuff. Laugh

I really enjoy going thru the catalogs for the art form more than anything else.BigGrin BigGrin

Regards,
gene
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2015 08:50:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
It is also worth remembering that the Marklin Online Product catalogue only have items from 2000/2001 on their database. If you want to research older stuff you need Koll's (not so good if you don't speak German) or these old catalogues..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Tiki734  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2015 13:54:26(UTC)
Tiki734

Australia   
Hi
This has been discussed in detail before and someone post a site with all the catalogues.
http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Catalogos/Marklin/
After finding this site I sold all my 1970 and newer ones for AU$10 to 20 maximum. This is a really useful site and saves you thumbing through them as they do not wear well. The 1960's ones should be $20 to 30 depending on condition. 1950's are getting harder to get. 1940 and 30's if you are happy wating $50. I picked up the hard to get 1947 for $60 but it was a bit lucky and nobody showed any interest and I snagged it.
The big problem I found with the newer catalogues is that are about 20mm thick and when you have 20 plus they take up a huge amount of room and weigh a ton. That was the main reason I sold them.
Roger
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tiki734
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2015 14:14:10(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
As Roger points out, once they were scanned and made available on line, their value as reference material was greatly reduced. Before electronic files, it was the only way to see what was made by Marklin and when they made it. Now they only hold value for those who like to collect Marklin memorabilia. I do BTW have all postwar catalogs, but I bought them in the 80s as reference material, not because I felt a need to just own them. I doubt I could recover what I paid.

I was working on the fire alarm at the Cincinnati/ Hamilton County main public Library Tuesday, a huge facility covering 2 city blocks. With electronic files that you can browse while in your lounge chair at home, how much longer will facilities like this be necessary? It cost a lot to maintain that old dinosaur. Yes, rare books will be valuable, they have a complete still bound Audubon Birds of America book, one sold for $8.8m, among other very rare books, but the rare book section doesn't take but a small part of the facility.

https://en.m.wikipedia.o...iki/The_Birds_of_America

http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Bob  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2015 06:24:11(UTC)
Bob

Hi All,
If you want to get some indication of the value of the catalogues have a look in the back of a Koll price Catalogue, volume 1 ( the one which lists the locos). It lists the catalogues from 1935 onwards.

Bob.
Running Mtrack analogue and Ctrack digital. Collector of V200s.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bob
Offline PJMärklin  
#12 Posted : 14 November 2015 06:47:59(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Now they only hold value for those who like to collect Marklin memorabilia.

I like to read, feel and smell these old cattledogs !! Love

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I doubt I could recover what I paid.

Try me !!! Wink

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline baggio  
#13 Posted : 14 November 2015 07:21:23(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
The keepers of the site warn that they cannot guarantee that the catalogues will be there for good. In fact, they express a bit of a concern of a copyright infringement and state that if Marklin were to complain, then they would dismantle the site.

So, if you really like these old catalogues (I do), they suggest you save them on your computer.
Offline drstapes  
#14 Posted : 18 November 2015 18:41:03(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   

as Bob says, the prices for catalogues is in the back of Koll's book 1.the prices are for mint condition. Most old catalogues are in various states of disrepair and sell for 10% or so of kolls value. you occasionally see a biding war on eBay which bumps the price up
regards
Geoff
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 21 November 2015 15:57:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Their real value is in the eye of the beholder.

I remember the M catalogues from my youth,say mid sixties,when the winters seemed to be harsher,sitting in front of the coal fired stove in the livingroom,going over the pages filled with unreachable dreams,the steamer 01,the Jumbo steamer 44,the NS 1200,the V200,the Santa Fe F7,and all the others.

I may have to buy the 1955 catalogue to start with........
The 1966/67 catalogue was having the new E103 in TEE colors on the front,wow,i was impressed.
The 1967/68 catalogue introduced the steamer P8 with tubtender,causing sleepless nights.

Fond memories.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NS1200