Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PMPeter  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2015 19:58:17(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
This may be an obvious question, but I want to ensure that I understand Distant Signals correctly when it applies to German signal masts that have both a Departure Signal and Distant Signal on the same mast. (example Viessmann type 4016).

In this case the distant signal still refers to the next signal - correct? I am trying to connect a LDT Signal Module LS-DEC-DB and the example given on their instruction sheet is misleading in my opinion. I cannot figure out how to add a distant signal being operated from a Viessmann 5223 Signal decoder. Perhaps this is an impossibility and a Viessmann 5220 is the only solution.

Suggestions?

Peter
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2015 20:24:16(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Peter, Peter here too. I can't speak for Viessmann as I only use Märklin signals but as far as German signals, yes, the distant signal on the mast of a

home signal refers to the next home signal and it plugs into that next home signal's decoder box in the designated space. I have several connected up

and they work perfectly. Good luck. Peter Cool Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2015 23:04:17(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi (PM)Peter,

Distant signals reflect always the status on the NEXT main signal.
When a distant signal is located on the same mast as a main signal, the same rule applies. That means that a distant signal cannot refer to the status of the main signal located on the same mast. It's useless, and can generate some confusion...

Moreover, when the main signal of a dual signal mast (main+distant) is red, then the distant signal doesn't show anything (no light lit).

The LDT doc doesn't specifically deal with such a configuration. It only shows how to connect a main and a distant signal on each set of clamp block, regardless of where are located the signals/distant signals.

In your case, that doesn't mean you cannot connect all the wires of the 4016 signal to one clamp block of the LS-DEC-DB. You can connect all the wires to the same clamp block. But that also means you have to correctly manage the use of addresses when operating the layout.

Let's have an example:
-Your 4016 signal has a main signal - A - and a distant signal - B -. You need an additional main signal ahead of A, let's call it - C. For simplicity, C is a 4011 signal (red/green - 2 aspect signal)
-As per the rule stated at the beginning, B reflects the status of C, and only when A is not red ! (see "dark mode" in the LDT doc)
-Let's suppose the addresses of A are 1 and 2 (you need 2 addresses to manage a 4 aspect signal), and the addresses of B are 3 and 4 (you also need 2 addresses to manage a 3 aspect signal).
-Let's also suppose you wire signal C to the second clamp block, and only the first address of group 2 (for instance address 5 of group 5-8) is used.

Now, when operating your layout, the state of C must be reflected by B, except when A is red.

Examples:
-5-red (Hp0) must trigger 3-red (Vr0)
-5-green (Hp1) must trigger 3-green (Vr1)
-In this case, as C is a 2 aspect signal, 4-green is never called.

This is the theory.

Personally, I don't use LS-DEC-DB to drive signals with more than 2 aspects. It's not because LDT devices are bad devices, but it's because I've done an other choice.
95% of my light signals are also Viessmann (472x series) and are coupled with a 5229 decoder.
All the signal management is driven by software (rocrail), and consistent with automation.
If you wish to have a look at an "advanced way" of managing advanced signals, you may read my article: https://www.marklin-user...-managed-advanced-signal but this is a bit out of topic.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2015 22:02:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Hi Fabrice,

Thank you for all your information. I can see how I can program the addresses with RocRail so that the Advance Signal and associated main signal are synchronized. However, how do you do this if you are not using RocRail or other software? Are the 2 addresses connected once you do the dark mode setup?

Thanks
Peter
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2015 23:25:35(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Peter,

From what I know, the dark mode prevents ONLY the advanced signal to display lights. It doesn't interfere with addresses.

So, if you have a mean to tightly couple addresses of B and C together, as soon as A becomes non-red, then lights of B will reflect immediately lights of C.
This is true with Viessmann decoder 5229 driving 472x multiplex signals. I'm not sure with LDT decoder, as I don't use it in such a way...

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2015 00:53:46(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: French_Fabrice Go to Quoted Post

So, if you have a mean to tightly couple addresses of B and C together,

Hi Fabrice,

That is what my question is, how do you couple the addresses of B and C together? The same applies if A has an advance signal, how do you couple those addresses together?

Cheers
Peter

Offline French_Fabrice  
#7 Posted : 14 November 2015 15:05:42(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hi Peter,

If you don't use a software, then one possibility come to my mind:

Use simple memory "routes". Create as many routes as needed. These routes are in fact not routes, but simple sequence of actions.

Example: Route A1 manages Red-A and Red-C together; Route A2 manages Yellow-A and Yellow-C together, etc...
Thus, when clicking on route A2, it should set Main Signal to yellow and associated distant signal to yellow also...
Main and coupled advanced signals are declared as separate signals in the CS2.

I've no expertise on memory, but as it is a (very) basic sequencer, it should do the trick.

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline PMPeter  
#8 Posted : 14 November 2015 16:08:46(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Thank you. A good suggestion for non-RocRail operation.

I also want to express sympathies for what happened in your country.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter