Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Carlos52  
#1 Posted : 06 November 2015 22:44:20(UTC)
Carlos52

Chile   
Hi to everybody:

I am new on this forum and perhaps this topic already have been discussed.
Actually I am preparing my H0 digital layout with a mobile station 2 and C tracks; I have a lot of M tracks of my "ancient" layout and I would like to use them. As far as I have read, I should buy 2 M to C track converter (Ma 24951)...Is this all I need? and work this properly?

Thanks for your answers or advices.

Carlos 52
Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 06 November 2015 23:57:29(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have 4 of them and they do not give me any problems.
A piece of advice though, as there is a slight grade change AND the track profile is also changing, I would not recommend having an M track curved piece attached to this or a R1 or R2 C track curve attached either.

If you must have this and some cars or loks give you grief, just pay attention to the track geometry or wheel spacing. 90% of the time, this track will give you no problem.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2015 05:49:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
You may want to use the M tracks for "inside" portions, like parking areas rather than on the main running part. I say this because you may find that the M tracks are more noisy than the C tracks and rougher where they join. In other words, more modern and lighter digital locos may jump a bit when going over M tracks.

I used to dislike C tracks since they are made of plastic, but the trains run very nicely over them, with no jumps and much less noise.

As for joining the two, I also think it's best to join them only with straight tracks. The connectors work well but feel a bit delicate.

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2015 08:12:01(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum.

With respect to all track, especially M and K track: remove all radio interference suppressors (capacitors with M track and K track) when you go digital.

If you have feeder tracks with capacitor, don't use that tracks or remove the capacitor.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline llagerst  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2015 17:20:33(UTC)
llagerst

Finland   
Hi Carlos,

The tracks themselves are the easy part. Just buy as many adapter tracks as you need and follow the advice you have received and you will be fine. One thing that I have struggled a bit with is that there only exist straight, normal length adapter tracks.
The big question will probably be how you intend to operate your old turnouts that I assume that you have.

The analog way is fairly straightforward. It is when you start thinking of doing it digitally that you get a lot of options and opinions. As you can see from my previous post I have almost finished that project. Not totally smooth sailing, I must say, but it can be done. I got a lot of inspiration and insight from Martin T at http://märklintåg.se/index_e.html

So thank you Martin. I am not sure if I would have done it without your site that inspired me to do further research. And I'm glad I did it. BigGrin

But maybe you have figured out that part already?

Lars

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by llagerst
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2015 05:21:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I still don't understand why the C to M Track converter actually goes from C to K track profile, meaning that the rails go from K to M track profile where the C and M Track connect.
Maerklin should have kept the C profile on the entire length of the track, as the rail profile is much closer to M than is the K design used.

Regards

Mike C
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2015 05:56:27(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Sorry, Mike, but what are you saying? What do you mean by "profile"? Confused Confused
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2015 17:30:24(UTC)
H0

Profile refers to the shape of the rail. Märklin C track is stainless steel, 2.3 mm high. K track today is stainless steel, 2.5 mm high. Old K track was like M track with rails folded from tin-plate, about 2.5 mm high.
The head of the K track rails is flat and wide, while the folded head of M track is round. The head of C track is much narrower than that of K track.

With the transition from C track to M track you start with narrow C track rail tracks, get a few centimetres of wide K track rails before the rounded M track rails come.

They had to make the transition from 2.3 mm to 2.5 mm. Instead of making new 2.5 mm C track rails they used the existing 2.5 mm K track rails.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2015 06:05:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Thanks for that explanation.

Regards

Mike C