Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2015 03:56:01(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

I am trying to spruce up my analogue Roco layout. To that end, I need to isolate two parking lanes so that I can keep two locos parked while I run a third loco around the track. In digital, I do this already without any issues, obviously.

Everyone tells me it's easy, but when I try to do it... Cursing

I need step by step instructions or at least to find out where I can get these instructions, and what hardware I need.

I thank in advance any good soul that may be willing to take some time to illuminate me. BigGrin

P.S. I need to be able to have the locos come out ofthe parking spot when I need them without having to pull them out by hand. In other words, allowing current to reach the parked locos when I want to run them.
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2015 22:49:50(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

How I would do this:

1. Cut a gap in one rail carrying the +ve electric charge.
2. Solder a wire to each side of the gapped rail.
3. Connect the wires to a Single Plole Single Throw switch (basically an on/off switch).
4. So when you throw the switch to "off", electricity is not transfered from before the gap and when you throw it "on" it is - thus you have created an isolating section.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2015 00:05:32(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
That sounds like THE solution for me. Thank you! BigGrin ThumpUp

(I will have to learn how to solder or I'll bring the instructions to someone that does. Can't cost too much to have it done. But this may be an opportunity for me to learn.)
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2015 00:44:19(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
There are plenty of good "how to" videos on Youtube, then just get an old piece of track and practice on that first.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2015 01:31:24(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Another option using Roco products.

First off isolate the track with a plastic rail joiner - this means you don't need to cut it. This is the Roco version compared to what I showed you before:

Roco Code 83 road bed plastic joiner

To get power, I use powered rail joiners as I am not that great at soldering. The Roco version is as follows:

Roco Code 83 road bed DC power feeder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 26 October 2015 03:17:02(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
HI, JCR:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the plastic rail joiner, or a variation of it, just to block the power, for now. That would work, except I then will have to pull the loco gently to get it back onto the powered track. ThumpUp BigGrin

As for getting the power back on, I will have to try to follow Carim's suggestion.

I have the DC power supply piece, that is the one that our friend FKOWAL fixed for me after I had installed it. OhMyGod
(The track itself was faulty and FKOWAL fixed it. BigGrin )
Offline baggio  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2015 04:15:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
So, I have now pulled one metal track joiner from the track (the plastic one I had did not help) and in the process the actual metal track whose joiner I removed got out of line. Still usable, but not flush with the next track.

Even so, it worked. The power was cut off at that spot and the train stopped. Scared

When I gently pulled back the train and put it back onto the power track, the train moved again.

Interesting is the fact that since the train in question is the ICE train, the back of it is powered, too. As a result, the rear light stays on while I run another train. As I accelerate the other train, the lights of the ICE train become stronger. That is OK for now.

Once I manage to get the switch done, that problem will be solved, too, since the whole ICE train will then be kept on a dead track. Of course once I switch the power back onto the track, the ICE train will move again.

A partial and temporary solution it is, but it is still a solution. ThumpUp

Thank you for the help. Much appreciated.

BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio