Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2015 18:30:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

As some of you may remember, I recently bought a very nice Roco digital starter set of which I am very happy.

I thought it might be a good idea to use the same tracks in analogue. To that end, I purchased a little DC adapter that has to be anchored to a track and then plugged into a Roco analogue transformer.

Since I do not have a Roco analogue transformer, but have two DC power packs, one as an actual transformer, and one as a two piece unit, power pack and regulator of speed. They both work very well.

Being the genius that I am in dealing with electrical matters LOL I cut (yes, "cut") the cord that would be inserted into the transformer because on one end it has a plug that goes into the Roco analogue transformer, which I do not have.

My thinking was that by stripping the wires and connecting them in the old fashioned way to my DC transformers, the trains would run normally.

Not so. Cursing

The trains either do not move at all or if they do, only for a few inches and when they go onto the next track (that does not have the power adapter attached to it), the trains stop.

In other words, either no go at all or just a few inches' run.

Question: Could it be that the transformer and the plug have something together that is lost in eliminating both when I use the above set up?

All is not lost, however, if I want to buy a Roco analogue transformer, I can get one as part of an economical start set with a little loco and some tracks for $92.00 or plus shipment and taxes from the Langley store in BC. (The transformer ALONE would cost about $3.00 less!)

Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2015 20:07:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Question: Could it be that the transformer and the plug have something together that is lost in eliminating both when I use the above set up?
You don't give any ref. numbers, so I cannot google for further information.

Maybe your "DC adapter" requires AC to work correctly. Just a speculation in the absence of technical details.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2015 21:38:21(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Sorry, you said "details", what would you like me to expand on?

This is DC all the way; nothing to do with Marklin. Of course the outlet is AC.

As I am writing this, I wonder if the set up was meant for a 230 volts connection and here in Canada we have 120 volts. Pure speculation as well.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2015 22:22:20(UTC)
H0

Sorry, you said "details", what would you like me to expand on?
To get started, maybe give us some ref. numbers, article numbers, catalogue numbers, product numbers and such.

Or look at the type plates. There should be information which voltages are expected on the input side ("PRI" or "IN" or such) and what can be expected on the output side ("SEC" or "OUT" or such) when input side is powered as specified.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2015 17:00:45(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The trains either do not move at all or if they do, only for a few inches and when they go onto the next track (that does not have the power adapter attached to it), the trains stop.

Am I missing something or...? This sounds quite straight-forward; Your connections are bad (loose). Maybe the cable from the trafo to the track, and definetly from track-to-track.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 18 October 2015 05:45:29(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am happy to report that the problem has been solved! BigGrin

It seems that our friend Hxmiesa was right ThumpUp.

Let me explain what happened. The picture of the power feeder for Roco will help to visualize what follows (sorry for the low quality of the image):

DC power feeder.jpg

I was kindly invited at our friend fkowal's place to get some insight into a number of train concepts. Today I went and one of the topics was this mystery (to me) of why the train hardly moved or not at all when connected to a transformer.

So I brought my gear and fkowal inspected with me the problem. Well, in the process he also pointed out to me where the contacts in the Roco track were taking place. It is not at all self-evident, trust me.

Even so, the square under the track did not give out current to the track. Why? Well, fkowal discovered that the plastic mount into which the screw goes that attaches the "H" to the track was a bit too high, such that the metal points at the four corners of the "H" were not connecting properly to the metal
rails inside the piece of track.

So, he filed off a bit of the hole mount and, voila', the track got power and off the loco went. Very nice. Laugh

(My next job will be to use the new DC power feed to the rest of the DCC layout (one at a time), so as to run both DC and DCC trains on the same tracks. Some insulating of the tracks where the digital trains are parked will be required. But that's for later.

While I was there, I saw the way fkowal made his helix. I did not count them, but it had 5 or 6 levels and the trains are powered via the catenary. I had never seen live trains running via the catenary and it was really a novelty and a pleasure to watch. The Noch helix I bought (but not yet received) pales in comparison.

I could go on describing fkowal's layout, but I will leave that up to him if and when he chooses to do so, with pictures, of course.

BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio