Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2015 02:15:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

Since I have decided to go AC and DC, I would like to ask questions about DC and DCC, Roco in particular.

Is this allowed here, given that it is a Marklin fan site?

Also, I have noticed that in the Toronto area we do not have anyplace to have our Roco and Piko trains looked after, such as instaling decoders, etc.. I wonder if there is anyone who knows anyone who will do this on European two rail.

(For Marklin I am not concerned, Mike ar Westend Trains does it all. BigGrin )
Offline fkowal  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2015 03:31:55(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
Baggio, check with George's Trains. They are in the 404 and Steeles area. Google them. I am not sure if they can order Roco, but they will know somebody for sure about DC/DCC conversions. They are a DCC dealer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2015 12:10:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Also, I have noticed that in the Toronto area we do not have anyplace to have our Roco and Piko trains looked after, such as instaling decoders, etc.
AFAIK all Piko and Roco two-rail models made in the last ten years should have a NEM decoder socket and the most difficult part about installing a decoder is opening the loco and closing it again.
"AC" and "DC" models use the same decoders and the same controllers and a person that can handle Märklin locos should be able to handle Roco and Piko locos, too.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline michelvr  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2015 14:56:43(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

Since I have decided to go AC and DC, I would like to ask questions about DC and DCC, Roco in particular.

Also, I have noticed that in the Toronto area we do not have anyplace to have our Roco and Piko trains looked after, such as instaling decoders, etc.. I wonder if there is anyone who knows anyone who will do this on European two rail.

(For Marklin I am not concerned, Mike ar Westend Trains does it all. BigGrin )

Hello Baggo,

For all of Canada the best place for Roco is inside John's Hobbies in Toronto.

Randolphs and Rogers is the Official Authorized Importer of Roco and Fleischmann check them out:

rocotrains.ca

Michel
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2015 18:06:39(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Thank you for your answers, guys. BigGrin

I went yesterday to John's Hobbies and did get a generous supply of Roco track at a good price. I had my Piko loco with me, but, I was advised that they do not do ANY technical stuff any more. This includes a simple insertion of a decoder into a loco. Angry

In addition, the feeling the salesman had was that getting it done anywhere other than at Piko's would be practically impossible. Everyone being concerned of damaging the loco.

I do know for a fact that the Langley store would do it at a good price (as little as $100.00 plus taxes including simple decoder,$40.00 and up, and installation). Problem is sending the loco there and getting it back. The shipments alone would be $60.00 or more (both ways).

So we go back to the problem: WHERE do we get a local shop that will gladly deal with European locos?

I doubt that CVR would do it, for the same reason the salesman gave me: concerns about damaging the loco. I did not contact George's Trains yet, but I don't have a good feeling on point. (If they do not sell European locos, local dealers are most unlikely to experiment. That is a reasonable approach.)

Finally, as I indicated in a previous post, Mike at Westend Trains won't touch 2-rail, other than the latest Trix gear. Sad

As far as the job being that easy, Walter at the Langley store told me it takes about 1/2 to do the job. That suggests that there may be more to it than meets the eye.

In any event, I am considering getting the decoder from Walter and then seeing what happens. This may be the simplest way to try to get it done.
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2015 18:09:55(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Walter at the Langleystore told me it takes about 1/2 to do the job.

I meant to say: "Walter at the Langley store told me it takes about 1/2 hr. to do the job."

Sorry.

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2015 18:27:15(UTC)
H0

It takes 10 to 15 minutes to install sound into a current Piko loco. About one minute for the decoder, the rest is for the speaker.
So without sound it takes less than 5 minutes for recent models (TRAXX, Taurus, Ludmilla).
No soldering needed for a decoder without sound.

Maybe try it yourself if you can't find a dealer in town.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2015 19:00:47(UTC)
Webmaster

Since I have decided to go AC and DC, I would like to ask questions about DC and DCC, Rocoin particular.

Of course it's allowed, the site is really all about helping each other in model railroading.
Just because Märklin is the main focus of the site it doesn't mean that only Märklin 3R H0 AC is "allowed"... BigGrin
Märklin makes DC trains too (Trix, Minitrix, Z...), Roco and others make AC trains too - and all is model railroading with many common issues.
Especially nowadays when everything is mostly digital anyway and the "AC/DC" discussion is nowadays mostly used to separate 2R & 3R track...

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2015 19:36:26(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe try it yourself if you can't find a dealer in town.
Scared Woot Wink

Thanks for the helpful feedback, HO, and I think I will have to do that.

Truth be told, however, my wife could tell you stories about my great ability as a "do-it-yourselfer" LOL
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 11 October 2015 20:09:26(UTC)
H0

Piko sell some locos with factory-installed ESU LokSound decoders. If it is a problem to find a dealer who installs decoders, maybe order locos with decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0