Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline oranda  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2015 00:41:35(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
Buch "Einstieg in Märklin Digital"

This book has been advertised for some time, but only in German.

As an english (and german) speaker and as a user of a Märklin digital layout for the past 2 years, it seems to me that Märklin as a long established company, is suffering by trying to hold onto vital information needed by new users to digital. Märklin could easily provide all the contents of this book and other documents as a free pdf download given to any of their customers, and at the same time increase the take up of their digital systems. I doubt very much if their existing printed documents contribute significantly to their company profits, and many of them appear outdated or lack revisions.

I also doubt if their often stated goal of getting more young users to use their systems willhappen if they persist in limiting access to information vital to getting the best out of using their products. I've purchased a few of Märklin's digital accessories recently, and the enclosed multi lingual booklets all lack any kind of background descriptions of how the product could fit in with a developing digital railway. The english translation are laboured and turgid, and they assumes the user has a prior experience of digital rail systems. My experience with todays internet savvy, teenager who might be interested in developing a Märklin system, is that they would be deterred if all the practical knowledge necessary, lies only in the heads of a few adults, or needs the purchase of a book to read it. For them so much information today is and should be freely available online.

Imagine if Märklin produced and maintained an online repository which also permitted users like you or I to contribute to the translations of digital documents. No longer would we have to suffer poorly translated technical documents and all Märklin users would be assured better documentation. It's maintenance like many wiki based sites would be simpler than distributing paper based documents and would benefit by being more up to date. IF Märklin insisted on making money out of this, a simple subscription based service could be implemented, but why charge if all those interested were also buying more of the Märklin product line.

My rant requires a change of mindset by Märklin, difficult perhaps but not impossible. With many possible benefits, and little risk, as most of what is needed exists already in one format or other.

I wonder how long it will take to see Buch "Einstieg in Märklin Digital", translated, printed and delivered before I can find out how to use all the features of Märklin Digital?

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by oranda
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2015 08:19:54(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: oranda Go to Quoted Post
Imagine if Märklin produced and maintained an online repository which also permitted users like you or I to contribute to the translations of digital documents.
A Märklin Wiki, provided and administrated by Märklin, accessible for everybody? I like that idea.

Many years ago they had a forum - accessible for Insider Club Members. They closed it because the lack of moderation led to many flame wars. Instead of increasing moderation and banning some users, they closed the whole thing.

Now we have New Märklin, new owners, new management. But I still don't see an official Märklin Wiki.
It would have to come from a third party. But will a third party attract enough contributors?

Free ebooks, even if German only, would be a good start.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2015 08:48:16(UTC)
Goofy

Buch "Einstieg in Märklin Digital"

I wonder how long it will take to see Buch "Einstieg in Märklin Digital", translated, printed and delivered before I can find out how to use all the features of Märklin Digital?

There is now news sound decoder and i believe Märklin will put information about new decoders in the book.
Is that´s way it takes longer time?
But an E-book would be more interesting,so customer can been update about the latest news too.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2015 08:55:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
There is now news sound decoder and i believe Märklin will put information about new decoders in the book.
The book is called the "2014 Edition". Right from the start it was announced for Q4/2015 which was later refined to November 2015. I don't think it will include information about the new /3 decoders, but you never know.

Over time the RRP went down from € 24.95 to € 19.95.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2015 09:02:19(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The book is called the "2014 Edition". Right from the start it was announced for Q4/2015 which was later refined to November 2015. I don't think it will include information about the new /3 decoders, but you never know.

Over time the RRP went down from € 24.95 to € 19.95.

Märklin will call it...latest review in the book,by add with the new generation decoder too.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline sjlauritsen  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2015 09:42:30(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
The problem with printed material is that it outdates almost immediately. A book about the digital system is actually more than we have seen from other manufacturers.

In my company we use the Atlassian Confluence wiki for maintaining manuals. It exports to PDF and so on for those who wants print-outs. We also made the pages available for online viewing. This just eases the access to updated information, even if you have an older manual lying around.

Märklin could easily adopt this concept. The printed manuals in the box, could be print-outs of this site. Every manual could contain a reference like "for updated information, check www.example.com"). Confluence imports quite a bit, so they might even be able to import their older stuff.

With regards to non-Märklin-people contributing to the site, the thing would have to be moderated so every information can be checked before going online. The text would have to be re-written to maintain a consistent language use (yes, I am aware of the irony in the eyes of some).
The problem is that some people might go overboard and become extremely technical where Märklin do not want things to be technical. Contributions like that would have to be cut out, or moved to sections where people interested can look the information up. This is an expensive maintenance job, and might be too expensive for Märklin.

When I write manuals I think of two things: Getting started quickly, and "in depth understanding". These two things cannot be mixed, since they would confuse the customers in the first section. The people in the latter section rarely have an understanding of this need, and they often are the ones who contributes (mostly because they find the information lagging in depth understanding in the first place).

With regards to free e-books, we still live in a world where Model Railway Manufacturers, and I am amazed that it works, ask money for their catalogues - and people buy them. Free e-books is not going to happen anytime soon. Smile
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2015 10:26:34(UTC)
H0

Well, Piko, Roco, and Fleischmann provide their catalogues as free PDF files (not just the new items brochure). As do Faller.... /BDNZ
And as far as I'm concerned this pays for Piko - every year I flip through the pages and find some interesting items that are not in the latest new items brochure.

If someone wants to start a free English ebook about Märklin digital model rail road, here is a place where it could be written:
https://en.wikibooks.org.../Starting_A_New_Wikibook
There they write: "It has been said that the best way to learn a subject is to teach it [...]"

A book written by Märklin will concentrate on items that are currently available from Märklin.

A book written by the community can also cover discontinued items (the famous 6021) and products by other manufacturers (ECoS, Intellibox, Tams MC, ...).

I will not start such a book, but I'd be willing to contribute some pages if my limited knowledge fits and if the book is not just focussed on Märklin products.

There could be more than one book. Maybe we could start with an English CS2 manual, written for users by users, to get experience with wiki books.
Or start even smaller with an English MS2 manual, community-driven and more up-to-date than the official manual.

The recipe for free ebooks is much like the recipe for a Stone Soup.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline oranda  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2015 13:20:13(UTC)
oranda

United Kingdom   
I'm wondering if copyright issues could be problematic if alternatives to Märklins documents were made public in this manner?
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2015 14:47:39(UTC)
H0

I'm wondering if copyright issues could be problematic if alternatives to Märklins documents were made public in this manner?
A manual written by users for users will not infringe Märklin's copyrights.
It must not contain sections "guttenberged" (copied'n'pasted) from the Märklin manuals.

There should be no problems with screen shots of the CS2 taken by users for users.

Simply translating the Märklin book to English is "verboten". But I think we can do better than that.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0