Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2015 22:26:18(UTC)
walters48

United States   

I took my O/B, L/N "Exclusive"(that's what the dealer I bought it from called it)#3675 loco out of storage after four or five years to pull a passenger consist of nine or ten assorted 40xx, 9.5 inch long well-oiled tin plate coaches. The loco has those cheap, mostly plastic (rust proof) couplers and the fine old analog coaches have the all-metal "relex" couplers. Unfortunately, the loco's couplers ride up and over the coaches' couplers, and will not hook up properly.
So I got out my de Luxe, genuine Marklin, nickel-plated sheet steel Coupling Gauge and found that all of the coach couplers were spot on, while the loco's couplers were spot off. My dilemma is how to adjust the loco's couplers w/o breaking or damaging the cheap plastic pieces used in their construction.
Please tell me that there is a cheap, easy fix for my problem (issue).
Thank you,
Chas

PS: Timothy Eckert Engineering has yet to provide me with a proper screw...for my SET800
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2015 22:54:40(UTC)
H0

The modern plastic couplers (BTW: nothing from Märklin comes cheap) are not meant to be adjusted in any way. The metal loop is the only part that can be bend a bit.

From your description I cannot understand whether the loco has the new short couplers or the older Relex couplers.

If it has short couplers, you could swap them for Relex couplers and that may solve the problem.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2015 23:52:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have several locos with the plastic Relex coupler, and they couple perfectly well with the older all metal type.

The only couplers that seem to be incompatible are the newer close couplers with the older metal Relex couplers. Perhaps this is the combination you have?

I agree with Tom's advice. If they are the close couplers just swap them for Relex couplers.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline walters48  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2015 22:58:26(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I have several locos with the plastic Relex coupler, and they couple perfectly well with the older all metal type.

The only couplers that seem to be incompatible are the newer close couplers with the older metal Relex couplers. Perhaps this is the combination you have?

I agree with Tom's advice. If they are the close couplers just swap them for Relex couplers.

Thanks to both for your replies.
According to the owner's booklet this loco has Relex couplers. But the front of the loco's metal hoop slides UNDER the car's coupler hoop and won't hook up properly. Unless advised otherwise, I will try to gently bend the metal hoop on the loco's coupler upward to slide over the hoop on the car, and hopefully hook up tight.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2015 08:49:30(UTC)
H0

In the '70s I bent the metal loops down on one side of the coaches. This prevented automatic coupling, but also prevented trains from separating while running full speed on not well-laid M track.
I had to lift one of the coaches to couple them, but I accepted that as the price for reliable operation.

I mean to say you do not have to bend anything if a little manual intervention to get them coupled is OK for you.

You cannot always trust the booklet. Here are pictures of the two coupler types:

A picture of close couplers:
http://archiv.maerklin.d...E=&wishednumber=7204

A picture of Relex couplers:

You cannot use Relex 72060 for your loco. If it has close couplers, a different number will be needed to install Relex couplers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2015 09:49:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: walters48 Go to Quoted Post
According to the owner's booklet this loco has Relex couplers.
According to the spare parts list and the pictures I found online, this loco has close couplers, not Relex couplers.

Spare part list (showing E263730 for couplers):
http://www.maerklin.de/s...1&artikelnummer=3675

For the older 3075 I found the number E701560.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline walters48  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2015 20:11:15(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
In the '70s I bent the metal loops down on one side of the coaches. This prevented automatic coupling, but also prevented trains from separating while running full speed on not well-laid M track.
I had to lift one of the coaches to couple them, but I accepted that as the price for reliable operation.

I mean to say you do not have to bend anything if a little manual intervention to get them coupled is OK for you.

You cannot always trust the booklet. Here are pictures of the two coupler types:

A picture of close couplers:

A picture of Relex couplers:

You cannot use Relex 72060 for your loco. If it has close couplers, a different number will be needed to install Relex couplers.

Based on your pictures, this loco has the Relex couplers.
I'm using the "manual" process and getting a good tight connection which is holding even through multiple points at speed. Thanks for the good advice.
--Chas
Offline Turbo T Terry  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2015 22:08:40(UTC)
Turbo T Terry

To minimize coupler challenges, I do three things when I put a piece of rolling stock into service: 1) de-burr the stamped metal coupler loop with a small file or sanding stick, so that the loops can slide smoothly over one another, 2) adjust the front of the loop as needed with a small pair of pliers, 3) check the coupler height. If the coupler height is off a little and the car has an NEM pocket, you can sometimes adjust them up or down within the pocket with small shims.

In cases where I need more adjustment, I may experiment with couplers from other manufacturers. In a few cases I've created my own "offset" couplers by filing the shank slightly on the top or the bottom, then cementing sheet styrene on the opposite side so that the coupler stays tight in the box.

Good luck!

Terry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Turbo T Terry
Offline Mark5  
#9 Posted : 13 October 2015 23:33:12(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Clever Terry,

I have so many mismatched couplers that I am pulling out my hair...
... one more reason for which I am going balder... Wink
This is especially tiresome when trying to switch them at train shows.

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. ThumpUp
- Mark

ps And my daughter wonders why all the smileys are bald. RollEyes

Originally Posted by: Turbo T Terry Go to Quoted Post
To minimize coupler challenges, I do three things when I put a piece of rolling stock into service: 1) de-burr the stamped metal coupler loop with a small file or sanding stick, so that the loops can slide smoothly over one another, 2) adjust the front of the loop as needed with a small pair of pliers, 3) check the coupler height. If the coupler height is off a little and the car has an NEM pocket, you can sometimes adjust them up or down within the pocket with small shims.

In cases where I need more adjustment, I may experiment with couplers from other manufacturers. In a few cases I've created my own "offset" couplers by filing the shank slightly on the top or the bottom, then cementing sheet styrene on the opposite side so that the coupler stays tight in the box.

Good luck!

Terry

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?