Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2015 05:44:28(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hello, Everyone:

I wanted to know what decoder you recommend to install on a Piko Taurus loco (Expert Line) that is DCC ready with a NEM 652 socket.

Basically, I was planning on having the installation done for me, but I wanted to know which decoder I should buy in terms of reliability and cost.

The loco is dear to me and is almost brand new, I got it in April of this year as a present in Italy.

Also, what is a fair price for the installation and set up in my Roco Multimaus?

Thank you.

BigGrin

Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2015 06:06:43(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Installation is as simple as buying a decoder (ESU Lok Pilot V4.0 $40 USD), lifting off the shell and plugging in the decoder, taping decoder down and closing up shell. The tricky part is that there is not much room between the shell and the lok frame to snugly fit the decoder.

If you are OK with soldering, you can get a mLD decoder and solder the wires on the socket (mLD speaks DCC also). Not exactly sure as to cost of those decoders but they are a little cheaper than ESU.

Now comes programming. If you are not familiar with programming with your Multimaus, then that is where the time comes in. I have heard of costs going from $20-100 dollars CAD for installation. I have personally spent 15 min on the very easy PIKO Expert lok like yours and 4hrs on very difficult loks that needed motor upgrades and space carved out for speakers and difficult to program decoders.

If you go with mLD, I can send you some of the CV values to get your lok running rather smoothly. I still want to adjust some of the CV's to get it running flawless.

The hard part is finding someone to do the decoder installation nearby.

I have grown to really like ESU. There have been good things said about ZIMO but I have not tried it.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2015 07:49:49(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Basically, I was planning on having the installation done for me
Simple task, no soldering - maybe try it yourself with the help of the forum.

My Piko Expert "Taurus" came with factory-installed decoder ("AC" version), but I could open it and show a picture where they placed the decoder.

With an ESU decoder, you have to set four or five CVs to adjust the motor parameters. Registering a new loco with the MultiMaus is also rather simple.

You can buy decoders from Piko. The "Hobby" decoders come from Uhlenbrock. Performance is quite good and I assume the motor parameters are pre-set for Piko locomotives. If my assumption is correct, you only plug it in, change the address, register the loco with the MultiMaus - and off you go.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0