Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2015 22:08:40(UTC)
db ice3

can anyone offer me some assistance please?

im looking to buy a " taurus " loco but i would like to have extensive sound functions.
any recommendations as to whether marklin or roco or Piko ( do they offer ac 3 rail? ) i oght to be considering?

many thanks for any hints tips and experiences shared.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2015 22:33:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You could look for a Marklin 39840 Taurus, which is a DB version with sound functions. This model was issued during 2013/2014 and you can still find them available on ebay.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2015 22:33:48(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello,

Probably the easiest to find would be 39840, a 2013 offering of the DB 182, but with "HEP"

There are IIRC some 37xxx recent offerings of the Austrian versions with lots of sounds ! Somebody else might know them !?

Personally I have 39835, which is the Porsche Lok DB182 with SDS, and sounds with a couple of unique ones for the model, that is probably quite collectable now, but I have seen on ebay ocassionally at reasonable prices !

Good Luck ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2015 01:04:51(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have the Marklin DB 182 as well as the ADRIA Transport.

I have since received a PIKO Expert Taurus and have it running well in 2 AND 3 rail.
I got the PIKO originally for 2 rail but found out it was an easy mod to make it 3 rail. Now just screw on the slider and move a jumper.

The PIKO is well detailed and runs well. One drawback is some of the details fall off easily and need to be glued back on once the fallen parts are found.

Get the PIKO expert with no sound and add the mSD to it. Marklin has the better sound files compared to ESU this time. PIKO is transitioning to ESU but may have some older Uhlenbrock decoders for digital.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2015 02:56:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Personally I have 39835, which is the Porsche Lok DB182 with SDS......

I have the original 39830 and the 39833 DHL Tauri, both with large C Sine motors, but not much in the way of sound.

I also have 2 Roco Br 182, one with DB logo, the other with Railion logos.

Photos of 39830 and 39833.

39830_1.JPG

39833_02.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2015 07:37:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Marklin has the better sound files compared to ESU this time.
Oh really?
It should be noted that ES 64 U2 (Rh. 1016, 1116, BR 182) play scales when they start moving, while the ES 64 U4 (Rh. 1216) do not play those scales.

The best model sound with scales I ever heard was in a Roco model with Zimo decoder.
It seems that Märklin still use the sound they licensed during their co-operation with ESU.

39835 was the first model that played the scales. 39834 came with a different sound, probably from a BR 101.
39836 and 39838 (Adria) incorrectly play the scales.
39837 correctly plays the scales, but the first locos played the scales while standing still - 39835 correctly plays the scales while starting to move.

With respect to "Taurus" sounds, Märklin have produced many Märklinisms over time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2015 12:40:57(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
can anyone offer me some assistance please?

im looking to buy a " taurus " loco but i would like to have extensive sound functions.
any recommendations as to whether marklin or roco or Piko ( do they offer ac 3 rail? ) i oght to be considering?

many thanks for any hints tips and experiences shared.

Hello Jay,

I had a similar experience :

https://www.marklin-user...ass-1116-loco#post494792

Regards,

PJ
Offline witzlerh  
#8 Posted : 30 September 2015 16:06:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Tom. I was referring to the U4 sound file. Yes the U2 is better in ESU but I had a U4.

Regardless, they are nice modern loks that get my North American buddies a little jealous.
Harald
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 30 September 2015 19:16:45(UTC)
H0

IMHO the sound of the ES 64 U2 (Rh. 1016/1116) is much more interesting than the sound of the ES 64 U4 (Rh. 1216).

So far all the Märklin Rh. 1216 I have seen and heard had the incorrect U2 sound, so I cannot comment on Märklin's U4 sound.

Some prototype videos with the U2:

Roco model with Zimo sound:

Märklin model with Märklin decoder (loco was not yet sent to Göppingen for the sound update, loco plays the scales completely before it starts moving):

ESU sound (orignal sound in first part, customized sound in second part):

A review of Märklin 39840 (German only) - the first version with four driven axles. There shouldn't be brake discs on the wheels.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 30 September 2015 21:37:03(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Man! That's what you get when you live 3,000 km from Europe.
The loks are supposed to play scales when they throttle up...Blushing
Like throttle notching on American diesel units.

OK I dug around some more in the ESU web site.
The best sound file would be for the OBB Taurus. That has the most distinct scales.... I would have gone with that one....closer to prototype. Marklin and other ESU sound files see to rush through the scales...

Well at the time I had a mSD kicking around and put it to use. It was originally for a Hercules but there Marklin did not have a good sound file so I went with ESU.

Thanks for questioning me on this.
Harald
Offline gwolski  
#11 Posted : 30 September 2015 22:49:24(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
I needed a U4 loco to match my Polish prototype (PKP IC 5370 on Railcolor.net) so I bought a 3 rail Piko Taurus and stripped it. I'm now repainting and lettering it.

I went with the LokSound decoder and OBB Taurus sound file mentioned.

Loco stripped to plastic and ready for painting:
IMG_1820.JPG
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline NZMarklinist  
#12 Posted : 30 September 2015 23:45:49(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Personally I have 39835, which is the Porsche Lok DB182 with SDS......

I have the original 39830 and the 39833 DHL Tauri, both with large C Sine motors, but not much in the way of sound.

I also have 2 Roco Br 182, one with DB logo, the other with Railion logos.

Photos of 39830 and 39833.

Good ones Dave, I also have 39830, got it only a few years ago, and 39833 I bought brand new, from the M Dealer who used to be opposite the old M Museum in Goppingen, when I was there for the 2005 Treff Smile
Didn't want to boast tho Wink

Actually I didn't bother to mention them because of their lack of sounds, I would have assumed anybody wanting a Taurus with sounds is looking for one that best plays the "scales" so very interesting to read the comments and view the videos above ThumpUp
All mine have Sinus motors, and I'm not rushing to add to the collection with an HEP motor ! Bored

Thanks Tom for posting the Brunellorosso review of 39840, as well as the other vids, however even not understanding too much of what is said, that review doesn't make me want to put it on my wish, list altho I wouldn't mind a four axle powered version RollEyes
It seems the reviewed model has a mixture of axles fitted Unsure
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 01 October 2015 08:12:35(UTC)
H0

It seems the reviewed model has a mixture of axles fitted Unsure
Each axle has two different wheels.
With Taurus, there are no visible brake disks (so the brake disks on the wheels are blackened, not silver-shiny). They are meant to represent a ring of screws sticking out of the wheel, but actually you get the opposite: a ring that sticks out with holes in it.
Looks like a "we don't need new moulds for the Taurus, we can use the TRAXX wheels for it" quick and dirty approach. Confused

Cost-optimized wheels, cost-optimized "high-efficiency propulsion" - a penny saved is a penny earned.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage