Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2015 08:49:53(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
This morning I ran my S2/6 (purchased a few months ago from modelbahn-kramm).It pulled away "normally", slowly out of the station area with correct "chuffs", lights.....when suddenly it sped off at top speed, with no response from the MS2. i shut down, restarted, but same again - it simply speeds away at high speed. I then deletd the loco from the loco list on the MS2, but as soon as i switch the MS2 on, it speeds off. I tried it on my test track,with a different MS2 and control box, but no difference......
I then set up a m-track oval, with the old blue transformer- but knowing i must NOT use the reverse pulse. It runs beautifully in analog mode, speed response is normal.... I ran it for a few minutes, and then put it back on my layout, and it simply speeds off as soon as power is switched on-even tho the loco has been deleted.....
any thoughts anyone....before I ship it off to Kramm, or M....???
thanks, Joe
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2015 09:34:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Joe,

Have you tried to do a decoder factory reset? You'll have to let it register again on your MS2, if it allows you to do that while running at full speed.

A decoder reset is done by writing the value 8 into CV8. If you have a 6021 or other controller you might be able to do it without the mfx registration.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2015 09:46:59(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

Have you tried to do a decoder factory reset? You'll have to let it register again on your MS2, if it allows you to do that while running at full speed.

A decoder reset is done by writing the value 8 into CV8. If you have a 6021 or other controller you might be able to do it without the mfx registration.

Hi Joe,

I would also recommend to do a factory reset to the decoder. I hope this solves your problem and you won't need to send it for reparation. Good thing is it's new enough and you have warranty. Sometimes when you have problems on digital layout and run your loco for a while on analog layout it cures the problem, but obviously not at this time.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2015 09:55:35(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Joe,

thanks Ray - only have MS2's.......how exactly does one do a decoder reset? how do you get to the CV settings?....at the moment it won't do the mfx registration-simply runs around at full tilt!
I have a friend down the road who has the new ecos......wonder if it will register there??
Joe

Offline JKJ  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2015 11:35:17(UTC)
JKJ

Norway   
Hi Joe,

When I got my 37015, there was some problems with a few digital functions. This was solved by updating the MS2. Has your MS2 ben updated recently?

Brg
John Kristian
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2015 11:45:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

thanks Ray - only have MS2's.......how exactly does one do a decoder reset? how do you get to the CV settings?....at the moment it won't do the mfx registration-simply runs around at full tilt!
I have a friend down the road who has the new ecos......wonder if it will register there??
Joe

Can you disable mfx on your MS2? If you can you could try creating an entry on the MS2 for address 15. Select that entry and then go to "program". Then select CV 08 and then enter value 08. I don't know if it will work, but you could try the same thing on your friend's ECOS.
Ray
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2015 12:01:00(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: JKJ Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

When I got my 37015, there was some problems with a few digital functions. This was solved by updating the MS2. Has your MS2 ben updated recently?

Brg
John Kristian

Thanks John- I have version 2.3....the newest is 2.5...I think?....

Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2015 12:07:50(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   

Can you disable mfx on your MS2? If you can you could try creating an entry on the MS2 for address 15. Select that entry and then go to "program". Then select CV 08 and then enter value 08. I don't know if it will work, but you could try the same thing on your friend's ECOS.

I will have a look if its possible to disable mfx?...when i go to "change loco" on an mfx loco, the entry "programme CV" is disabled....I can only do a factory reset.....the problem now is getting the loco to register-whilst whizzing around the track at an alarming rate Crying what fun!!!

Offline Joseph Meiring  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2015 12:42:31(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Joe,

Joe

OK...I made a new entry, address15, whilst the loco was wizzing around!, then I selected CV08, entered 08, the loco then very briefly slowed down as it programmed, but sped up again - then the MS2 went into stop mode,as if there is a short...... took loco off, deleted the new entry...but now, every time i power up, after a few seconds, with the loco on the track, the MS2 "stop" comes on.
take the lo
co off, and everything works as normal......ah well - off to M she has to go I suppose....
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2015 12:59:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sorry to hear that, Joe. I hope they fix it and get it back to you quick!

I hope it's an isolated incident. I don't want to have to send mine back too.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2015 14:31:43(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Joe,

When you have the loco selected on MS2, you can shift and push the loco icon. If you scroll down through the list there will be a reset loco option. This should reset it on whatever protocol it is using.

I occasionally have this happen when I put a new loco on the track. I suggest trying this (similar to previous attempts, but a little different);

1.) With the track power off (stop pressed), remove the loco from the inventory and free it from the slot.
2.) Un-stop the track to give it power.
3.) Immediately go to Add a new loco and "find" the loco. (as opposed to waiting for the loco to register itself).

Normally when the sequence begins to search for and interrogate the mfx decoder the loco comes it's senses. Hopefully this helps.

-Brandon
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#12 Posted : 23 September 2015 16:07:45(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
Joe,

When you have the loco selected on MS2, you can shift and push the loco icon. If you scroll down through the list there will be a reset loco option. This should reset it on whatever protocol it is using.

I occasionally have this happen when I put a new loco on the track. I suggest trying this (similar to previous attempts, but a little different);

1.) With the track power off (stop pressed), remove the loco from the inventory and free it from the slot.
2.) Un-stop the track to give it power.
3.) Immediately go to Add a new loco and "find" the loco. (as opposed to waiting for the loco to register itself).

Normally when the sequence begins to search for and interrogate the mfx decoder the loco comes it's senses. Hopefully this helps.

-Brandon

Thanks Brandon, tried above, as you outlined, but MS2 switches off as soon as power is supplied to track with the loco on the track. Must be some sort of short in the loco?? for it to power off....
Tried my mew MS2, connector box and power pack on my test track, but to no avail....
Joe
Offline NZMarklinist  
#13 Posted : 23 September 2015 16:53:56(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Joe,

I feel your pain, I haven't run my S 2/6 yet either, now I'm Scared Blushing

I would give it a go on your friends Ecos, they're robust enough to handle a wee short, but if it runs, I don't think it is that, probly a crook decoder logic thingy Unsure
Maybe, try a reset with the Ecos, it's easy there Wink

My 39980 Railbus wouldn't re register or run after deleting it from the loco list of my first MS1 years ago, whilst still on the track. It registers on anything else and runs absolutely fine on my CS1-R Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline BrandonVA  
#14 Posted : 23 September 2015 17:13:44(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Thanks Brandon, tried above, as you outlined, but MS2 switches off as soon as power is supplied to track with the loco on the track. Must be some sort of short in the loco?? for it to power off....
Tried my mew MS2, connector box and power pack on my test track, but to no avail....
Joe

Joe,

If the MS2 is going into overload and switching off, there must be a short somewhere as you suspect....I imagine you've already checked the slider...could be a wire inside that came loose and is grounding out on the frame. I don't have the S2/6, but with most recent Marklin toolings you have to use a pretty careful hand in taking them apart...so if you go that route, slow and steady.

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Janne75  
#15 Posted : 24 September 2015 06:03:14(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Joe,

I´m sorry to hear even decoder reset is not helping. Is there a smoke unit installed afterwards in your 37015? I ask because I want to know if the loco body has been taken off after this loco has been delivered to you from Märklin. Maybe some wire insulation is worn and touching locos metal body or frame if loco body is "tight fit" near some wires? Or a loose wire causing a short circuit. If you open the loco body check that the mfx decoder sits firmly on the PCB and decoder is not causing short circuit to loco body.

I hope you will find the cause of these problems and don´t need to send it anywhere.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75