Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pabbi  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2015 12:13:39(UTC)
Pabbi

turnout

Hi, I am thinking of putting LED next to the push buttons for my turnout, showing the possition of the turnout. Is there a easy way to do that ?

regards, Pabbi
Offline hgk  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2015 02:09:57(UTC)
hgk

Easiest but not necessarily cheap
Marklin 72710 control box has position led's which receive feedback from contacts on the turnout mechanism. That means only turnouts which have the position contacts will work with the leds. You might be able to check with your Marklin dealer to find out exactly which switch mechanisms have the contacts as I'm not at all fluent in HO turnouts.
I once built a homebrewed electronic circuit for testing but it was a kludge which only a electronic geek could love so I won't steer you that way. If someone has an easy/cheap way, I'm also listening.
regards,
George

Edited by user 22 September 2015 06:45:10(UTC)  | Reason: non content changes

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hgk
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 22 September 2015 07:23:50(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by morsing
Offline Pabbi  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2015 11:11:31(UTC)
Pabbi

http://www.jornebanen.dk...porskifte/sporskifte.htm

This looks like an easy way to do this :) but...

Is it OK to use on/off swith and put continuous voltage on the turnout ? I thought only push-button was allowed ?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pabbi
Offline BrandonVA  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2015 14:43:14(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Pabbi Go to Quoted Post
http://www.jornebanen.dk...porskifte/sporskifte.htm

This looks like an easy way to do this :) but...

Is it OK to use on/off swith and put continuous voltage on the turnout ? I thought only push-button was allowed ?

Hi,

There are "momentary" on-off (or on-off-on is probably better in this case)...they are spring loaded and will return to the off position after you let go. I believe this is what is used with the turnout. You are right, continuous voltage will probably fry the turnout motor.

However, when using a momentary switch the LED would not stay on...so I think a relay or some other item would have to be added, starting to get more complexity.

-Brandon

Edit: See below post.

Edited by user 24 September 2015 22:59:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2015 20:11:19(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Whoops. I just used Google to translate the linked webpage. The instructions are to use a momentary switch. They state to use a 100nF capacitory between the + and - which will keep the LED lighted after the switch returns of the off position.

Here is the Google translation (I am sure a person could do better, but this works fine):

"You have to use a rocker switch with rest position only in the middle. Such a switch is typically referred to (on) -OFF- (on). I found some of www.elektronik-lavpris.dk for 15 crowns / item. (with purchase of 25).
I find it most logically if the LED is green and indicates the direction in which the train will run in the points (that is opposite to the direction the switch is).
The LEDs can be such. 3mm. They are available for less than one penny. Resistance must typically be about 1-2KOhm (they should select the switch position does not provide the room). It needs only one resistor when the two LEDs never light up at the same time.
Do not use the traction of the turnout. Use example. an adapter from a device you no longer use. The adapter should provide 15 to 18 volts DC, 1.5 amps. A Märklin traffo (not the old blue) can also be used. They deliver pulsating DC, so they noisy little more.
The power supply does not need to be able to draw as much as you typically do not change one track at a time.
One should put a 100nF (nano farad) capacitor between + and - at the end of the power supply. Coils (which sits in turnout drives) tend to send ultrashort high voltage back into the wires. The capacitor shorting the transient surges so that they do no harm. Incandescent bulbs do not care, they can easily cope with the short duration surges, but LEDs burn out immediately."

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline morsing  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2015 21:47:57(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

There are "momentary" on-off (or on-off-on is probably better in this case)...they are spring loaded and will return to the off position after you let go. I believe this is what is used with the turnout. You are right, continuous voltage will probably fry the turnout motor.

However, when using a momentary switch the LED would not stay on...so I think a relay or some other item would have to be added, starting to get more complexity.

-Brandon

Hi,

I don't really think you have read the diagram correctly. What he has done works. No damage to anything either.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline hgk  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2015 01:53:26(UTC)
hgk

FWIW The72710 costs about $28.00 usd.
From the manual:
The 72710 Control box is designed for use with turnouts that have a double solenoid mechanism and end shut-off contacts (H0: 7549, 74490, 74991, “1“: 5625).

@ BrandonVA- I assume the led is held lit thru the turnout's end of travel switch that is closed, then thru that sides solenoid coil whose opposite end is connected to the yellow 0V. The linked schematic doesn't show the turnout part of the circuit but that's how the 0V can be connected to the led for as long as the selected end of travel switch is closed.
Hope that helps.

George

Edited by user 28 September 2015 00:41:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified