Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Token  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2015 02:51:20(UTC)
Token

Australia   
For those who may be interested, a further gem from my favourite channel;

Kriegslokomotiven

Regards,

Michael.
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by Token
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 17 September 2015 02:07:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
How did they get those multi-exposure shots (about 2 minutes:00) into the movie before the digital age???

And in the closing minute, unusual square variation on the tub tender.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2015 04:57:02(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
How did they get those multi-exposure shots (about 2 minutes:00) into the movie before the digital age???

And in the closing minute, unusual square variation on the tub tender.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

Great footage I agree, I just love that old technical stuff ThumpUp

Perhaps it has had a recent edit with a good program to maintain the old look !?
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2015 20:15:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Kimball,

Sometimes it's done by double exposing the film, although looking here I think that it is actually just an optical effect, some kind of filter in front of the lens, something like a fly. The bluring on the edges gives it away. Something like this link, but with a different pattern. I apologize if your post was in jest.

I think the shot at the end was probably done with some sort of overlay effect from negative cutting. I don't doubt the number of locos produced, something about it just looks a bit off.

What I think is truly impressive is the optical quality of lenses used in this era.

-Brandon

Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2015 00:55:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Kimball,

Sometimes it's done by double exposing the film, although looking here I think that it is actually just an optical effect, some kind of filter in front of the lens, something like a fly. The bluring on the edges gives it away. Something like this link, but with a different pattern. I apologize if your post was in jest.

I think the shot at the end was probably done with some sort of overlay effect from negative cutting. I don't doubt the number of locos produced, something about it just looks a bit off.

What I think is truly impressive is the optical quality of lenses used in this era.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,
No the comment was not done in jest, and I concur that your explanation is most likely spot-on.
I also agree with your observation on lenses - the Germans were superb.

Regards the shot at the end, you can tell they have doubled up somehow on the images, because the same drivers appear over and over.

I have an anecdote - in the 1980s/90s I worked for a Japanese optical company, which was formed in 1932.
I visited their factory in northern Tokyo a few times.
On one occasion, they were refurbishing one of the lens grinding rooms, and it was explained to me that the machinery in there was purchased from Germany when the factory started in 1932.
It was also explained that the quality of lens produced would be impossible to replicate with modern techniques.
(Glass quality also plays a part).
But at this time, the factory was interested in producing more, and the German machines may take 2 days to grind a lens (200 at a time).
Using modern machines, they could do it a lot quicker.
They were not discarding the German ones, just doing a new layout to incorporate more grinders.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2015 03:34:09(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
great stuff! they just don't build em like they used too. mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline BrandonVA  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2015 14:14:30(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Regards the shot at the end, you can tell they have doubled up somehow on the images, because the same drivers appear over and over.

I have an anecdote - in the 1980s/90s I worked for a Japanese optical company, which was formed in 1932.
I visited their factory in northern Tokyo a few times.
On one occasion, they were refurbishing one of the lens grinding rooms, and it was explained to me that the machinery in there was purchased from Germany when the factory started in 1932.
It was also explained that the quality of lens produced would be impossible to replicate with modern techniques.
(Glass quality also plays a part).
But at this time, the factory was interested in producing more, and the German machines may take 2 days to grind a lens (200 at a time).
Using modern machines, they could do it a lot quicker.
They were not discarding the German ones, just doing a new layout to incorporate more grinders.

regards
Kimball

Kimball,

Good catch with the driver, you looked closer than I did.

Thank you for the story about your previous company. I would be happy to go on a tangent about vintage optics, but I think that would be unfair to the topic of this thread.

So, instead, some prototype details (according to Wikipedia anyway):

DR/DB class BR52:
Units produced: Approx 6719!
Years Produced: 1942-1950 (6300 units from 1942-1945, the remaining units produced after 1945)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB_Class_52

Also of interest (to me anyway):

"In the early post-war years the 52s were used by many European countries, the largest user being the Soviet Union which had more than 2100 of this type. Poland was another country with more than a thousand and East Germany had about 800 examples. The type was also quite widespread in most of the other east European nations. West European countries replaced them with more modern locos as soon as possible, with the exception of Austria where they were used until 1976. The simplicity and effectiveness as well as the large production number meant that many east European countries were slow to withdraw Kriegslokomotiven, with Poland using them until the early 1990s. Turkey and Bosnia were also late users of the type."

Imagine that, a run of almost 50 years in Poland.

As a number of manufacturers produced these, I wonder which we see in the film? Probably no way of knowing.

-Brandon

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA