Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mbarreto  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2015 14:55:11(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Hello,

I was told by a well known German dealer that MTH HO S3/6 (the blue one) will be delivered about end of October. They are announced
for some years. Let's see if they are really delivered this year.
The promotional video is shows they look very nice. I don't know if they are super accurate compared to the real thing, but they look superb and seem to have great sound and smoke too.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 10 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2015 19:28:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
They certainly look good. It seems like there is a little bit of a wobble in the driving motion on the BR18.4 in the later part of the video (or maybe it is just me), but these are also the 2 rail versions. I noticed they had red marker lights, a very nice detail. I do not have any MTH 3e+ steam locomotives, but I have five diesel units (D&RGW F3 A-B-B-A and an UP GP35), and the sound and lighting features are fantastic.

MTH producing American prototypes for 3 rail was very helpful to fill in the gaps. It should be interesting to see how they fair with a S3/6, as they are entering a more competitive market.

-Brandon
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2015 19:50:16(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

Very nice details and synchronized smoke Love . I think these must be expensive models... I just wonder why there must always be very bright LED lights when the prototype is from 1910's, 1920's or 1930's? Also that red marker light looks a little odd to my eyes. Otherwise great looking model ThumpUp .

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2015 20:33:14(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hi Jane,

the price sits approximately between 450 and 495 euros (depending on the dealer) although the RRP is a bit higher.
I agree with you relative to the lights specially about the red marker lights. Maybe the final production model isn't like that. About the brightness of the LEDs I also prefer wait for the model and see if they are really too bright, if they can be dimmed or if not.

Other steamers of MTH (in HO) like the Triplex have higher RRP. I also don't know how the used (ebay, I mean) market for MTH HO 3 rails is or will be. I have not great expectations on that...
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2015 02:40:56(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have a number of MTH HO 3 rail steamers. One Big Boy, two Challengers, one Triplex, and one GS4 (SP Daylight). The synchronized smoke is great. I also have a bunch of MTH diesels. They have their own idiosyncrasies, but I like them. I have the blue S3/6 on order. MTH is not real great on meeting their delivery schedules. Let's hope it does show up in October.

Robert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline mbarreto  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2015 09:52:36(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Nielsenr Go to Quoted Post
I have a number of MTH HO 3 rail steamers. One Big Boy, two Challengers, one Triplex, and one GS4 (SP Daylight). The synchronized smoke is great. I also have a bunch of MTH diesels. They have their own idiosyncrasies, but I like them. I have the blue S3/6 on order. MTH is not real great on meeting their delivery schedules. Let's hope it does show up in October.

Robert

Hi,

Good to know you have MTH HO 3 rail steamers. Do those steamers pass without flaws in the turnouts and crossings?

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline blid  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2015 13:43:51(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Hi,

The studs of my latest batch of Marklin ”slim” turnouts are sticking up higher than the old ones. There were no major problems on the old but on the new turnouts. Rather than messing with the turnouts, I took down the pilot of the Daylight and both pilots on the SD70Ace. Some of the power pick up shoes had to be better aligned (was pointing slightly sideways) – carefully!

blid
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Nielsenr  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2015 01:32:16(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I agree with blid, some of my SD70s had problems on the slim turnout studs but not all of them. The SP GS4 Daylight steamer was the worst. I have not made an adjustment to it yet. Otherwise the steamers run well as long as you maintain the minimum radius curves. The MTH Alco PAs also have smoke units in them. I have also bought a bunch of the MTH freight cars. I adjust the wheel spacing, use conductive paint on the side with the plastic bushing, and make sure the Kadee coupler is adjusted up so they don't hit the studs. They run well after adjustments.

Robert
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline blid  
#9 Posted : 16 September 2015 11:50:20(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Robert; How do you adjust the Kadee couplers on the MTH cars? I have two MTH H0 club cars and the pocket is part of the frame. Do you bend the coupler?

blid

PS The 2-rail DR 18 451 version of the S3/6 was shipped last week according the MTH newsletter. However, this doesn’t mean much since MTH only delivers items with a sufficient number of preorders it seems. DS
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 16 September 2015 18:12:08(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I agree with blid, some of my SD70s had problems on the slim turnout studs but not all of them. The SP GS4 Daylight steamer was the worst. I have not made an adjustment to it yet. Otherwise the steamers run well as long as you maintain the minimum radius curves. The MTH Alco PAs also have smoke units in them. I have also bought a bunch of the MTH freight cars. I adjust the wheel spacing, use conductive paint on the side with the plastic bushing, and make sure the Kadee coupler is adjusted up so they don't hit the studs. They run well after adjustments.

Robert

Robert...how do you adjust the wheel spacing on the freight cars, remove the axle and twist/turn to get the right distance?

-Brandon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline mbarreto  
#11 Posted : 16 September 2015 19:02:33(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Robert...how do you adjust the wheel spacing on the freight cars, remove the axle and twist/turn to get the right distance?

Long ago I used the process you mention to adjust Liliput wagon's wheels and it worked good! (It hurted (a bit pain) a bit in the fingers, though :) )

Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Nielsenr  
#12 Posted : 17 September 2015 23:41:44(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
Robert; How do you adjust the Kadee couplers on the MTH cars? I have two MTH H0 club cars and the pocket is part of the frame. Do you bend the coupler?

blid

PS The 2-rail DR 18 451 version of the S3/6 was shipped last week according the MTH newsletter. However, this doesn’t mean much since MTH only delivers items with a sufficient number of preorders it seems. DS

Bled,

I am talking about the little piece that hangs down that uncouples the car. I use two small needle nose pliers to bend it up. Otherwise they may hit the center studs going through turnouts.

Robert
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Nielsenr  
#13 Posted : 17 September 2015 23:46:23(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Robert

-Brandon

The wheels are pretty tight on the axles to twist. With the axle verticals, I take a small plastic spacer (like you would use to mount a printed circuit board) and hold it against the wheel with the plastic spacer and hit it with a small hammer to break it loose. Then I use the twist method to get it to the spacing I want measuring with a digital caliper.

Robert
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline mbarreto  
#14 Posted : 20 February 2016 12:56:14(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I bought the S3/6 blue but it is still in the dealer in Germany waiting for other item that will be available in Q2, so I pay only one post.

I was reading the manual and it seems that will not be difficult to not use the red lights, but no so sure about the dimming. Off course a resistor can always be added but I don't want to go that way.

MTH HO S3/6 Manual

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto