Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Registers.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2015 11:08:32(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Views messages in topic : 3,443
Dutch trains will run 100 percent on wind energy in 3 years time from now:

http://interestingengine...in-the-next-three-years/
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:33:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Dutch trains will run 100 percent on wind energy in 3 years time from now:

http://interestingengine...in-the-next-three-years/

Everybody better keep huffing and puffing then?

What happens when the wind stops ? Confused Confused

Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2015 13:02:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Views messages in topic : 3,443
Of course,there will be no direct powerlink between windmills and electric trains.
What they are trying to say is that the equivalent of the electric power required will be allocated to wind power,irrespective of the actual source.
Various shipping companies are very busy erecting huge windmill parks on the North Sea,also the number of large modern windmills on land is increasing all the time.
The generated power can be used for any given purpose.

In general,the trend in Holland is towards electric power consumption.
A large number of streets,including mine,have electric power connections for cars.
Electric cooking becomes the standard.
The number of trains overhere running on Diesel is very limited.

To tell you a little secret: countries like France and Sweden are largely depending on nuclear generated electric power.
The happy bunch are Switzerland and Norway,using waterfall generated power for almost 100 percent.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2015 16:20:27(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

To tell you a little secret: countries like France and Sweden are largely depending on nuclear generated electric power.
The happy bunch are Switzerland and Norway,using waterfall generated power for almost 100 percent.

According to Wikipedia, half of the energy production in Sweden is hydroelectric.

The smartest thing is, that in periods when Denmark has too much energy produced by wind turbines, we give away electricity to Sweden for free, and sometimes even pay to get it out of our grid.

The Swedes then uses this energy to pump water back up into their water reservoirs, and then, in times with low wind power production in Denmark, Sweden produces hydroelectric power and sell the electricity to Denmark.

So in reality, Sweden is a back up battery for Danish electricity, and get well paid for the service.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:08:40(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree in principle to getting energy from natural sources such as wind and water, but I'm sick of the sight of all these ugly wind turbines cluttering up the countryside, and now also huge areas of the sea.

From my humble apartment I can see hundreds of these lining the hills above Tarifa in Spain across the bay, and recently I've noticed them going up on the hills across the straits in Morocco. Is nowhere sacred?

I would be very happy to see more research into power from tides and ocean currents, with generators hidden from view beneath the waves!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:19:16(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I agree in principle to getting energy from natural sources such as wind and water, but I'm sick of the sight of all these ugly wind turbines cluttering up the countryside, and now also huge areas of the sea.

From my humble apartment I can see hundreds of these lining the hills above Tarifa in Spain across the bay, and recently I've noticed them going up on the hills across the straits in Morocco. Is nowhere sacred?

I would be very happy to see more research into power from tides and ocean currents, with generators hidden from view beneath the waves!

Don't come back to blighty then, they are going up everywhere here as well, including filling up various shoreline areas. There is a big fight against having around 1000 (IIRC, an awfully large number anyway) off the south coast, somewhere along the Jurassic coast area.

Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:27:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Don't come back to blighty then, they are going up everywhere here as well, including filling up various shoreline areas. There is a big fight against having around 1000 (IIRC, an awfully large number anyway) off the south coast, somewhere along the Jurassic coast area.

It'll be interesting to see how it affects the yachting community, as this is an area very important for those sailing along the south coast. Remember that small yachts can't always stick to demarcated shipping lanes (and they actually avoid them for safety reasons!)

I wonder how many wrecks there will be before the hazard to shipping is taken into account by the money hungry power companies.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.