Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sang Joon Oh  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2015 09:33:11(UTC)
Sang Joon Oh

Hello guys.

I have a problem with moving loco in my layout.
When Loco moves in my layout, he often stop to move especially on curved rail.
Also, It occured very often, when loco moves with slow speed.

and although loco didn't stop to move, his sound often restarted on curved rail.

What's the problem with my layout?
Is it need to add a booster or just rail connection mistake?

Please check for my video in youtube.
moving problem1
moving problem2

Thanks.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2015 10:17:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Oh,
Dirty track will be the problem.
Clean the track and the centre studs with a cleaning rubber, or use a 1200 grit emery paper or sandpaper.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2015 10:17:44(UTC)
H0

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

Rusty centre rail or dirty outer rails - or both.

Running the locos a few laps at full speed should remove rust from the centre rail.
If problem persists, check outer rails. Residue from traction tyres can build up and lead to contact problems.

A booster won't help.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2015 10:20:14(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Clean the track with a cleaning rubber, or use a 1200 grit emery paper or sandpaper.
I wouldn't use abrasive cleaners (Roco rubber or sandpaper) for the outer rails. Dirt will stick even better on sandpapered rails.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2015 11:00:20(UTC)
Goofy

He means to reduce dirt on the studs,by use sandpaper or even better fine file.
The dirt on the rail can been removed with the chemicals gasoline,by use clean cotton like old shirt.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Sang Joon Oh  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:20:09(UTC)
Sang Joon Oh

Hi Oh,
Clean the track and the centre studs with a cleaning rubber, or use a 1200 grit emery paper or sandpaper.

regards
Kimball

Thank you for your advice.
one more question.
Center stud means metal stud bottom of the Loco?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:38:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Clean the track with a cleaning rubber, or use a 1200 grit emery paper or sandpaper.
I wouldn't use abrasive cleaners (Roco rubber or sandpaper) for the outer rails. Dirt will stick even better on sandpapered rails.

I agree. Use some coarse cotton, like old denim or cotton lab coat, with some surgical spirit or denatured alcohol as a cleaning fluid. Some people also use smoke fluid, but I hesitate to do this as it can attack some paints.

Also don't forget to clean the inside edge of the rails, not just the top surface, as the wheels tend to ride on the corner between the flange and tread of the wheel, so that area of the rail needs to be clean. Don't forget to clean all the wheels of locos and wagons as well.

Rubbing with something abrasive leaves tiny grooves in the rail which any oily dirt gets into and binds to eventually leading to a build up of dirt.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:41:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
He means to reduce dirt on the studs,by use sandpaper or even better fine file.
The dirt on the rail can been removed with the chemicals gasoline,by use clean cotton like old shirt.

I wouldn't use a file or sandpaper on the studs. Cleaning them with alcohol should suffice, and then run a loco around at a good speed until it runs reliably should be enough. Filing or sanding leaves bare metal exposed that will then rust and give problems later on.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:49:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The tracks are metal, the studs are metal and they will corrode. Due to the running of wheels and slider on them there will be wear. When the tracks are not used for a while the tracks and studs, especially when they have been worn slightly, will corrode faster. My experience is that no matter how well you clean them the only way to get rid of surface rust is to pass a track rubber over them.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 13 September 2015 13:20:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
My experience is that no matter how well you clean them the only way to get rid of surface rust is to pass a track rubber over them.
My experience is: no rust when tracks are stored in a room with low humidity. For tracks stored at normal humidity (Western Europe), a few laps at full speed normally solve the problem. If problem persists after a few laps, I sometimes draw the blade of a screwdriver over the centre-rail studs.
I don't have a rubber - never needed one.

Experience may be different in coastal areas or rain forests.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 13 September 2015 18:21:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
My experience is that no matter how well you clean them the only way to get rid of surface rust is to pass a track rubber over them.
My experience is: no rust when tracks are stored in a room with low humidity. For tracks stored at normal humidity (Western Europe), a few laps at full speed normally solve the problem. If problem persists after a few laps, I sometimes draw the blade of a screwdriver over the centre-rail studs.
I don't have a rubber - never needed one.

Experience may be different in coastal areas or rain forests.

We have periods of high humidity both in Summer and Winter, which no doubt aggravates the situation.

As long as I run trains every day I don't need to clean the tracks, but as soon as I have a break of more than a few days I start getting "dead spots" on the track. On my C track I notice that on the affected areas the rails get considerably darker. This is alleviated with cleaning with alcohol or similar, but some locos still refuse to pass unless I rub the track lightly with a rubber, making the metal shine.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 14 September 2015 07:04:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Sang Joon Oh Go to Quoted Post
Hi Oh,

regards
Kimball

Thank you for your advice.
one more question.
Center stud means metal stud bottom of the Loco?

Studs means along the middle (centre) of the Marklin track. The little protrusions of metal are called studs or pukos.
The spring metal bottom of the Loco is called the slider, or pick-up shoe. This picks up the positive (+) current, from the pukos.
The Loco wheels pick the negative (-) current from the outer rails.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Sparrow  
#13 Posted : 14 September 2015 07:26:48(UTC)
Sparrow

Spain   
I'd consider slightly and carefully bending pick- up shoe's 'legs' downwards.
When slider is somewhat loose, contact tends to be faulty.
Dirt should be remover often, of course, but is not always the cause of issues like those described here.
Best regards.
Luis.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Sparrow