Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LA2019  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2015 03:51:23(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
I bought a Canon 10-18mm wide angle zoom lens for my 40D body. Being an APS-C chip it is hard getting "really wide" angles (but great on the telephoto end!). Canon released this lens last year and I finally decided to buy a copy. It's nice having a super wide angle lens that focuses close.

I just bought it today and had to fire off a few shots. All pictures were hand held at a distance of about 4-8".

This will be a very fun lens!

IMG_0283.JPGIMG_0276.JPGIMG_0288.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0277.JPGIMG_0291.JPG
Ken
USofA
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2015 05:25:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Nice! Is this a 'L' series lens, or is this the lens you have? - http://www.einfo.co.nz/c...8mm-f4-5-5-6-is-stm.html

I have been wondering which lens to get for my EOS 60D. I currently have a 16 year old 24-85mm EF lens, but find it is not really sharp enough for these sorts of closeups. The advantage with a 10mm lens is that when used with an APS-C camera, you still get a 16mm field of view.

The loco numbers are nice and sharp with your lens, which I find I don't get with my lens.
Offline LA2019  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2015 23:44:50(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Nice! Is this a 'L' series lens, or is this the lens you have? - http://www.einfo.co.nz/c...8mm-f4-5-5-6-is-stm.html

I have been wondering which lens to get for my EOS 60D. I currently have a 16 year old 24-85mm EF lens, but find it is not really sharp enough for these sorts of closeups. The advantage with a 10mm lens is that when used with an APS-C camera, you still get a 16mm field of view.

The loco numbers are nice and sharp with your lens, which I find I don't get with my lens.

No "L" lenses for me; I'm too cheap! Don't get me wrong, I would love to have some "L" lenses but I'm not a "professional" and Canon's regular lenses have always served me well.

My 10-18 is the same as the link you provided. For $299 USD it really is a great lens. It's light, very sharp and well built for an all plastic lens. Some bemoan the fact that it has a plastic lens mount but my 50mm with a plastic mount has held up perfectly. The STM focusing is quick and quiet. It is supposed to be good for video but my 40D is stills only.

I'd say buy a copy. You will not regret it!
Ken
USofA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LA2019
Online xxup  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2015 23:53:39(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
So...... Is this the type of lens I should be using to shoot loco photo?

I was going to use the EF-s 60mm f2.8 USM macro to do this job.. Confused
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2015 03:31:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

It seems to do a good job. Minimum focus distance is 22cm, much better than the 50cm of my current lens.

Canon also have a couple of 100mm macro lenses which are quite highly spoken of, but aren't cheap

http://www.einfo.co.nz/c...00mm-f2-8-macro-usm.html

http://www.einfo.co.nz/quicksho...-f2-8l-macro-is-usm.html

They review very well, but the main difference seems to be the Image Stabiliser on the 'L' series lens which is not on the cheaper lens. Interesting to note that Ken's 10-18mm lens does have the Image Stabiliser feature.

http://www.the-digital-p...M-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.the-digital-p...M-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

60mm EF-S Macro lens review here:

http://www.the-digital-p...cro-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

And Ken's 10-18mm lens review here:

http://www.the-digital-p...4.5-5.6-IS-STM-Lens.aspx

Edited by user 13 September 2015 09:03:05(UTC)  | Reason: added url tags

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Online xxup  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2015 04:18:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You should not need an image stabiliser as these sort of photos should be taken using a tripod..

I might create a new thread and do some tests with my new macro lens..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline LA2019  
#7 Posted : 13 September 2015 01:12:10(UTC)
LA2019

United States   

Adrian, I use what ever lens will get the job done for me.

I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Ultrasonic macro lens that I use quite often. The difference, to me, seems that my macro gives a "flat" look while the wide angle has depth (i.e. distortion!). It's hard to explain but each lens gives a different "impression" that is up to the user to decide what looks best.

Here is an image with my macro;

IMG_0304.JPG

Ken
USofA
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 13 September 2015 12:05:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LA2019 Go to Quoted Post

Adrian, I use what ever lens will get the job done for me.

I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Ultrasonic macro lens that I use quite often. The difference, to me, seems that my macro gives a "flat" look while the wide angle has depth (i.e. distortion!). It's hard to explain but each lens gives a different "impression" that is up to the user to decide what looks best.

Perhaps one of the best illustrations of the distortion produced by a very wide angle lens is the last picture in this post. The rails from the turntable to the engine shed I would expect to be straight, but in this particular picture they have been distorted into a curve that is obviously impossible for anything but a logging engine (and even that would be doubtful I suspect). It also illustrates how the distortion gets worse the closer to the camera the item is. For this reason a lens that does this is often referred to as a 'fish eye' lens, but the effect can often be seen to some degree at the 15-25mm focal length on 35mm full frame pictures. I have some pictures taken on a 35mm film camera where the effect is apparent at 35mm focal length when close enough to the subject.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline pab  
#9 Posted : 17 September 2015 11:33:20(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I also use the lens that gives the results I want.

Sometimes I use my wide angle (canon 10-22), sometimes my macro (Canon 100mm) and very often my standard lens (canon 15-85 mm). I even used a canon 70-210 mm. The problem with the last lens that you need quit a distance to the subject.

The distortion of a wide angle lens gives sometimes a very nice effect, like in this picture with the camera very close to the locomotive

UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by pab