Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2015 09:24:30(UTC)
Goofy

Let´s say Märklin present new CS3.
Do you think they will change design of the CS...?
What do you think how design looks like?
What about yourself how CS should look in the new design?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2015 15:13:27(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Relative to the look and feel, I would like it to look like an Ecos with the knobs like the ones of intellibox.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
H0
Offline witzlerh  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2015 15:41:23(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have worked a little with the Z21 and the ECOS.
Z21 has great graphics and lots of neat stuff. However, it has the problems of wi-fi interface issues. With practice you can learn how to ensure that the ithingy's stay awake and connected. I have no idea how one would manage if you are driving trains and a phone call comes in as the train is driving to the edge.....

ECOS has lots of features and buttons but it looks crowded and easy to push adjacent buttons. I will be playing much more with it in 3 weeks.

The Marklin base screen is simple but has easy access to the tabs where you can do so much more. I think one of the best things that Marklin did that stands out compared to the rest is the big red stop button. Used it enough times to avert expensive disasters.

I have a feeling that if there is a CS3 it would still be in the case of a CS2 or at least be similar to the current CS2 with a larger screen.

I can see that if they may have a 60216, it would only have a newer, faster motherboard with better video capabilities and a higher resolution screen....oh and more memory as usual for any update. Very little change on the outside.

I would rather that Marklin focus on designing and producing new loks and cars rather than a sizable budget on a new CS3. The CS2 is already very good...but it could be cheaper. Also, I would rather have investment on cheaper manufacturing....that decal printer that prints graphics directly onto the models is going to be a great way to reduce the cost of printing.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2015 18:31:33(UTC)
Goofy

This is what i would like to see Märklin start an new generation of the CS3.
Same color like grey.
The symbols CS3 with red print.
And of course Märklin name!
Same stop button.
Just touch screen to control everything.
I´m not sure the size of the new CS3 should been...

DSC_0012_133.JPG
H0
Offline MikeR  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2015 20:23:40(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
I am a traditionalist and prefer the knobs as they are on the CS2. I agree that a faster motherboard and higher resolution screen would be nice but the current CS2 works well for me. I occasionally use the touch screen but prefer to operate the CS2 using an USB mouse.

Linked to a computer the CS2 performs its function as expected and still allows for a manual override when needed - in particular the STOP button. I hope that future updates are compatible with the CS2 and that there is not another debacle such as happened with the CS1.

I have not used any other hardware except for the Intellibox 1 which was a major advance on the 6021. I think that the CS2 is an excellent piece of hardware that is easily upgradeable and that M* have continued to improve its functionality and ensure that all my MRR modelling needs are catered for. I am not a mfx+ user so this aspect is not of interest to me.
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2015 07:19:51(UTC)
Goofy

The problem about CS2 design are the eight buttons on each of the side takes too much placement.
The second line of other eight buttons are touch screen.
So it´s waste of eight buttons on the sides.
If you want bigger screen,i would take off all eight buttons in each sides of it!
We want bigger screen,but the design of the CS2 must been change.
I know Märklin knows about the problem with the design of the CS2.
Trust me...Märklin will make an new generation CSx.
H0
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2015 07:36:15(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
+1 for WiFi

Even though I rarely use them, I do like the knobs on the eCOS..

Not need on 32 function buttons.. I think that this needs to be a touch screen image..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2015 08:04:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
Relative to the look and feel, I would like it to look like an Ecos with the knobs like the ones of intellibox.
So it will be like the 60212, but with a colour screen.
Maybe with some more function keys beside the screen - and with LED feedback at every function key.

The speed knobs of the Intellibox are not reliable, neither are those of the 60212 (no problems with my 60212, but my IB would need replacements).
They have to be reliable with a new controller.

One thing a CS/3 could do better than the CS2: a GUI that is fast, fluent, user-friendly and intuitive.
To achieve "fast and fluent", there may be a need for a faster processor or optimized code.
To achieve "user-friendly and intuitive", start with the ECoS, make changes based on user feedback and take the prototype to a UX lab for extensive testing.

A black box with just some LEDs and WiFi will be fine for some (a Z21 with mfx), but that does not appeal to me.

There are several controllers on the market because people have different needs and different budgets.
But not many with mfx.
If Märklin would re-think their licensing policy there would be more controllers with mfx. They probably would sell fewer controllers, but acceptance of mfx would increase.
Just dreaming ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2015 08:09:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
I think one of the best things that Marklin did that stands out compared to the rest is the big red stop button. Used it enough times to avert expensive disasters.
There should be separate buttons for STOP and GO or at least a delay before you can get GO after STOP. If there are multiple players and two see a disaster coming and both will hit STOP then that will make a GO.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2015 16:38:24(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Totally agree on having a time delay that is programmable between when STOP is pressed and then pressed again to go. On the other hand, a small GO button would be good too.
I had a few times at meets when the stop kept getting hit for stop go stop go...crash! This happens when there are several iThingys and MS controllers attached to it.
A time delay of 3 sec is what I would use at meets and shorten it at home.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2015 09:27:18(UTC)
Goofy

I´m not really sure,but if design and new program present in the CS3,it would been change for the MS2 too?
It seems 16 functions still remains on.
H0