Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NZMarklinist  
#51 Posted : 17 October 2015 12:19:33(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

And now they're sold out (36242) Sad

Any body on the forum get one ? Smile

The 36242 was sold out about this time last year, in preparation for the 36243 to be introduced.

I was referring to those that were available from Joe's last week Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline Harryv40  
#52 Posted : 17 October 2015 12:49:25(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

And now they're sold out (36242) Sad

Any body on the forum get one ? Smile

The 36242 was sold out about this time last year, in preparation for the 36243 to be introduced.

I was referring to those that were available from Joe's last week Wink

Hi , try EWMB.de, I have used them,they are selling the Marklin 36243 for 169.99 euros.

I hope this helps

Harryv40
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline baggio  
#53 Posted : 17 October 2015 15:36:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Glen:

In fact, I have asked Mike to just move one cable on the mother board from one spot to another, as suggested in post no. 22 above. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I will report in due course on the success BigGrin or failure Scared of the open heart surgery.

Have a good weekend everyone. Here in Toronto today is 1 Celsius, but at least it's sunny ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline baggio  
#54 Posted : 18 October 2015 02:57:31(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Update on the Prussian loco:

I heard back from Mike today:

The loco is ready for pick up and the operation was a success. BigGrin ThumpUp

Mike suggested we may want to note the following:

"Your Prairie Pony is ready for pick up. The decoder surgery went well as did the smoke unit installation. There is another piece of the puzzle you may share with your forum buddies; Completing the rewire on the decoder is only 50% of the job. In order to power the smoke unit contact the mFx decoder will have to be reconfigured. F1 needs to be activated (it is set to blank-always off from the factory) so that it can be turned on and off. Also the smoke unit icon needs to be manually assigned to F1 so you get the symbol on your MS1, MS2, or CS2. Finally you will need to delete the 36243 from your control, with 36243 off the tracks, and allow it to mFx itself back in to your control unit in order to see the F1 icon (smoke unit)."

I can't wait until Monday.Laugh
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#55 Posted : 18 October 2015 08:13:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Finally you will need to delete the 36243 from your control, with 36243 off the tracks, and allow it to mFx itself back in to your control unit in order to see the F1 icon (smoke unit).
That shouldn't be needed - put the loco on the track and it should re-register with the controller, updating the icons and everything else. mfx was designed to handle that.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#56 Posted : 28 October 2015 01:59:25(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Update on the Prussian Pony (36243) that wanted to take up smoking.

The smoke unit recommended for this loco does NOT work if we make changes so that the smoke unit can be turned on and off. If you do, the unit hardly works.

What you need to do is use Seuthe art. no. 20 and all is well. Wait a few minutes and the smoke does come out nicely. BigGrin

It does not last too long on one dose, but long enough, really.

Result: the operation was a success and Dr. Mike came through again.

BUT do remember to use the smoke unit no. 20, not the one recommended by Marklin, if you do modify the loco so as to be able to turn on and off the smoke unit.

I am happy. BigGrin ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline H0  
#57 Posted : 28 October 2015 07:42:18(UTC)
H0

Hi!
The smoke unit recommended for this loco does NOT work if we make changes so that the smoke unit can be turned on and off. If you do, the unit hardly works. [...]
What you need to do is use Seuthe art. no. 20 and all is well. Wait a few minutes and the smoke does come out nicely.
The recommended unit, Märklin 72270, is Seuthe No. 20 in a Märklin box. There is no difference except for the series variation.

The output voltage of an MS2 will be at the lower end for a controllable smoke generator. Don't blame the smoke generator, blame Märklin for using so many different track voltages.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#58 Posted : 13 November 2015 12:50:34(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: M-Classics Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Here's a list of heavy digital steam engines that match your description. ......

Class 52:

37154 CFL (2012)
37153 SNCB (2013)
37151 DB (2007)
37150 DB (2013)

Class 50 (old tooling!)

37831 DSB (2010)
37832 ÖBB (2010)
37843 DB (2009)
37848 DB (2008)

The big steam locomotives in the starter sets are also a good idea. Just look up the starter sets in the Märklin database, and you'll find the numbers.

Best regards,
Mark

Hello Mark,
After a long wait my 36243 is arriving next weekend. In the mean time I've started hunting for the above beauties. After a little bit of googling, I found that the MRP of these beauties is quite high. I should check for the ebay offers or the used ones.
Regards
Madhu
Offline Dimi194  
#59 Posted : 15 November 2015 12:45:59(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Update on the Prussian loco:

I heard back from Mike today:

The loco is ready for pick up and the operation was a success. BigGrin ThumpUp

Mike suggested we may want to note the following:

"Your Prairie Pony is ready for pick up. The decoder surgery went well as did the smoke unit installation. There is another piece of the puzzle you may share with your forum buddies; Completing the rewire on the decoder is only 50% of the job. In order to power the smoke unit contact the mFx decoder will have to be reconfigured. F1 needs to be activated (it is set to blank-always off from the factory) so that it can be turned on and off. Also the smoke unit icon needs to be manually assigned to F1 so you get the symbol on your MS1, MS2, or CS2. Finally you will need to delete the 36243 from your control, with 36243 off the tracks, and allow it to mFx itself back in to your control unit in order to see the F1 icon (smoke unit)."

I can't wait until Monday.Laugh

I have this loco waiting for pickup, but can one do that reprogramming on a MS2? If so, how?
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
Offline H0  
#60 Posted : 15 November 2015 13:22:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post
I have this loco waiting for pickup, but can one do that reprogramming on a MS2? If so, how?
I don't have this loco, so I can't be sure - but I think you need a Central Station or ECoS to make the changes. Later on, smoke can be controlled with an MS2, too.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#61 Posted : 15 November 2015 15:47:53(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
No, Dimi, this is not a matter of reprogramming the loco. The change requires hardware change on the "motherboard" (if that is what it's called).

Take a look at the complete discussion that precedes that post of mine AND my posts that followed (in the same topic).

The smoke unit recommended by Marklin had to be changed to another smoke unit and now it works fine.

The smoke fluid does not last an awful lot, but seeing the loco smoke is VERY nice when you run the loco and you show it to a friend with the sound effects. BigGrin
Offline H0  
#62 Posted : 15 November 2015 17:24:23(UTC)
H0

No, Dimi, this is not a matter of reprogramming the loco.
It is a matter of programming to get a symbol for the smoke generator on the MS2. I don't know if this change can be accomplished with the MS2. Worth a try. though.
You can change the symbol with the MS2, but you cannot change what F1 actually does.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline baggio  
#63 Posted : 15 November 2015 17:48:07(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Mike did not have my MS1 when he did what he did. However, F1 was free at the time for this loco.
Offline H0  
#64 Posted : 15 November 2015 18:24:37(UTC)
H0

Mike did not have my MS1 when he did what he did. However, F1 was free at the time for this loco.
Sure it was free. It's sure this change cannot be made with an MS1. Maybe this change can be made with an MS2, maybe it can not.

To get the smoke generator working, a change has to be made to the decoder (called "programming"). Mike had your loco and your decoder and he changed something in your decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#65 Posted : 05 December 2015 09:16:32(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
My 36243 arrived!!!
The Marklin dealer in Stuttgart has sent ESU 51990 smoke fluid and 72270. Are these compatible?
Also can I use ESU 51990 with other AC backmann engines? Please help as I'm in an urgency to watch my first mfx smoke:)
Regards
Madhu
Offline Jay  
#66 Posted : 05 December 2015 10:25:52(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Hi Madhu,
All smoke fluids work on the same principal, the smoke unit heats up the fluid thereby emitting smoke.
provided that the fluid is from a reputable manufacturer it would not be a problem, and ESU is a reputable manufacturer.
Enjoy your smoking 36243 :).
Jay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#67 Posted : 05 December 2015 10:46:07(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: Jay Go to Quoted Post
Hi Madhu,
All smoke fluids work on the same principal, the smoke unit heats up the fluid thereby emitting smoke.
provided that the fluid is from a reputable manufacturer it would not be a problem, and ESU is a reputable manufacturer.
Jay

Thank you Jay!! I appreciate the quick response!! You made my day!
Have a pleasant weekend and I'll have a smoky one:)
Madhu
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Jay
Offline kiwiAlan  
#68 Posted : 05 December 2015 16:06:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Jay Go to Quoted Post
Hi Madhu,
Jay

There are locos where a specific smoke fluid must be used, I believe the ESU diesel locos require the ESU smoke fluid. The Seuthe smoke fluid doesn't work correctly.

However I don't believe the ESU fluid will be a problem in the unit that Madhu has.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline hennabm  
#69 Posted : 06 December 2015 18:03:09(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
I have been reliably informed that Marklin oil/Seuthe oil should not be used in ESU loks.

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#70 Posted : 07 December 2015 04:28:30(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post
I have been reliably informed that Marklin oil/Seuthe oil should not be used in ESU loks.

Mike

But the other way round is okay right? ESU oil in Seuthe?
Offline NZMarklinist  
#71 Posted : 07 December 2015 04:43:37(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: hennabm Go to Quoted Post

Mike

But the other way round is okay right? ESU oil in Seuthe?

magdu, Kiwi Alan suggests it should be OK and I would think so too. I don't think you'll do any harm by trying it. Just put 1ml in or a drop at first to see what happens, it should do no harm.
I can imagine why the ESU loks work best with their smoke oil, probably an additive to make it darker maybe, and more revenue for them,Sneaky but that it's ok for M as well
Also I don't believe the dealer would send you something that doesn't work !

Keep us informed and ........

Best of luck ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#72 Posted : 07 December 2015 08:09:46(UTC)
H0

Just put 1ml [...]
0.2 ml is the recommended maximum filling. Trying to inject 1 ml will give a big mess.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#73 Posted : 07 December 2015 13:47:21(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
I've started using only km1 smoke fluid in any of my locomotives with the seuthe smoke generators. Marklin (seuthe), esu, etc all contain oil that leaves that nasty film behind. The km1 stuff doesn't contain it so it "burns" clean, produces way more smoke and doesn't smell nearly as bad.

You might want to be careful of any locomotives that need the oil though for lubrication (eg maybe the esu ones do because of the live stream effects with the air pumps on their models).
Offline Goofy  
#74 Posted : 08 December 2015 06:27:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Just put 1ml [...]
0.2 ml is the recommended maximum filling. Trying to inject 1 ml will give a big mess.

Or 6 drops is enough for about 8-10 minutes.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#75 Posted : 08 December 2015 08:21:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Or 6 drops is enough for about 8-10 minutes.
I always read six drops in the glorious Märklin instructions, but they never tell me how to get six drops. I bought Seuthe smoke fluid. Tried dripping the smoke fluid in with a nail, but size of drops varies a lot. Yes, Märklin are famous for the usefulness of their instructions.

I was really grateful when I bought my first smoke generator in a Seuthe package. Instructions said 0.2 ml and a small syringe was also included. This worked fine for me.
Good instructions, good accessories.
The Seuthe generators are cheaper without accessories, but IMHO it's worth buying one with accessories to get the syringe.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#76 Posted : 08 December 2015 10:34:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yep, Seuthe syringes are good, well worth the effort in getting them.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#77 Posted : 08 December 2015 10:37:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Not for my KM-1 1 Gauge Br01 it isn't. I normally put 2 full syringes in, and I have done 3 without any ill effects. This lasts for about 15 minutes. No wonder Glen (NZMarklinist) suggested I should get the Seuthe smoke fluid in the 1 litre bottles (I see Joes-Modellbahn have them).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline tulit  
#78 Posted : 08 December 2015 13:22:31(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Not for my KM-1 1 Gauge Br01 it isn't. I normally put 2 full syringes in, and I have done 3 without any ill effects. This lasts for about 15 minutes. No wonder Glen (NZMarklinist) suggested I should get the Seuthe smoke fluid in the 1 litre bottles (I see Joes-Modellbahn have them).

Don't use the seuthe fluid in a km1. The oil in it will damage the generator. You need to use the specific km1 fluid (oiless) - there is a difference between them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
Offline Dimi194  
#79 Posted : 08 January 2016 23:06:05(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Just had a chance to get this one out yesterday and give it a run... OMG such an amazing loco (my first with full sound!)
However I don't hear anything when I press the function that is meant to correspond with 'brakes squealing off'
Is there something I need to be doing to make that sound function operate?? Confused
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Offline RayF  
#80 Posted : 08 January 2016 23:13:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Just had a chance to get this one out yesterday and give it a run... OMG such an amazing loco (my first with full sound!)
However I don't hear anything when I press the function that is meant to correspond with 'brakes squealing off'
Is there something I need to be doing to make that sound function operate?? Confused

This post is a bit 'off-topic' but I'll have a go at answering your concern.

The button for 'brakes squealing off' actually turns the sound off, so you won't hear anything when you press it.

Brake squealing is heard when you decelerate your loco very quickly from a fairly fast speed setting. If you press the button to turn it off and then decelerate quickly the loco will come to a halt without the squealing noise.

Try stopping the loco quickly with and without the button pressed. You should hear the difference.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#81 Posted : 08 January 2016 23:13:21(UTC)
H0

You don't hear a squeal when you turn squealing off.
Don't turn it off, turn sound on, drive fast, brake hard - and you should here the squealing.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#82 Posted : 08 January 2016 23:55:29(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hey, Tom, is that your philosophy in life? LOL
Offline Dimi194  
#83 Posted : 09 January 2016 12:23:47(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

This post is a bit 'off-topic' but I'll have a go at answering your concern.

The button for 'brakes squealing off' actually turns the sound off, so you won't hear anything when you press it.

Brake squealing is heard when you decelerate your loco very quickly from a fairly fast speed setting. If you press the button to turn it off and then decelerate quickly the loco will come to a halt without the squealing noise.

Try stopping the loco quickly with and without the button pressed. You should hear the difference.

Thanks! Yeah sorry, I just thought since this topic kinda turned into the switching of functions I could sneak it in here Smile

I understand what that means now, I wonder why you wouldn't want the glorious extra running sounds!
Offline skeeterbuck  
#84 Posted : 09 January 2016 18:34:47(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
This is in reference to the info earlier about operating the smoke unit without fluid.

I have an older Marklin 3308 loco ( 2-10-2 Tanks type). It has been converted to digital with the older Marklin 6090 decoder and Telex couplers added. Using the 6090 only allowed 1 function, so obviously that had to be the Telex feature. This left the smoke unit and lights on all the time. The smoke unit is the regular Seuthe #10 model. I have used this loco for years and it has many hours of operation with and without fluid in the smoke unit and it works perfectly. I really like the smoke feature and have almost all my steamers equipped with them. When I operating 3 of them at once it can get somewhat "foggy" in my train room. Laugh

Also, it does seem to matter what type of fluid that you use the Seuthe units. Here in the US most of the train shops carry smoke fluid that is more like a light oil that are meant for Lionel and American Flyer toy trains and this doesn't work very well in the Seuthe units and sometimes seems to actually clog up the very small tube inside them. The smoke fluids I use are the ones like Seuthe's own fluid that is also a cleaning fluid. I think this helps keep that small tube inside free from clogs. Also, when the unit "spits" and you get the small droplets on the boiler and cab, with the cleaning type of fluid, you'll notice that the next day it's evaporated away.

Also, the smell of the Seuthe fluid is the smell of Marklin to me. ThumpUp

Chuck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#85 Posted : 01 March 2016 09:33:36(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello all,
This is my third attempt in fixing the smoke unit on my 36243 and I failed terribly. The following pics say what I'm trying to do. Also the smoke contact gets bent inwards and I doubt if the smoke unit wire is able to close circuit at all.
First I tried installing 72270 with its contact wire bent. Then I straightened the contact wire as the onboard metal contact piece was getting bent too much.
As soon as I fix the smoke unit, I could hear a short circuit sound and the MS2 switches to "STOP" mode. What am I doing wrong? Please help
Regards
Madhu
DSC_3230.jpgDSC_3231.jpg
Offline skeeterbuck  
#86 Posted : 01 March 2016 13:35:25(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Madhu,

If the smoke unit contact is getting bend over that indicates to me that you're not pushing the unit far enough into the smoke stack to get it fully seated. Look on the inside of the boiler in the front where the smoke unit is installed. When the smoke unit is fully seated, the flared area of the smoke unit should be touching the inside of the boiler casting. If the smoke unit is NOT seated all the way into the boiler it will be down too low and then when you install the boiler onto the frame, the smoke unit contact gets bent over and touches the side of the smoke unit which is electrically grounded. The smoke unit contact being electrically hot causes the short circuit. You will also need to carefully bend the smoke unit contact back to it's original position.

If you send a clear pic (inside and outside) of the smoke unit installed in the boiler before you reattach the boiler, I can see if you have it installed properly. It may take a little force to get it fully seated. If that is the case, make sure you have the boiler on a solid surface with some padding to protect the paint around the lip of the smokestack for being damaged.

NOTE: I do have one engine, like this one shown below, where there is a plastic piece inside that prevents the smoke unit from being inserted too far. In this case, you would push the unit until it's seated against this plastic insert.

I hope this is helpful to you and you need additional help, ask here before you proceed. After waiting to get you nice new engine, you don't want to be in a rush and cause it some damage. Good luck.

Chuck

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#87 Posted : 15 June 2016 15:45:15(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Thank you Chuck. I'll try it soon. I also recently bought the above BR 64:) (Marklin 39644)

In this thread we discussed "Smoke unit can not be switched off on 36243". I had asked a question if it is safe for smoke unit to run without liquid?

Anders, shop owner of Hobbycenter.se in Gothenberg, answered this way. I found this answer quite convincing. What do you think?

"Smoke liquid acts as a conductor inside the smoke unit. The moment it evaporates completely, the circuit breaks and it will not damage the smoke unit"

So can we conclude that "it is safe to run 36243 without smoke fluid"?
Jay
Offline waorb  
#88 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:33:32(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
"Smoke liquid acts as a conductor inside the smoke unit. The moment it evaporates completely, the circuit breaks and it will not damage the smoke unit"

Hello Madhu.

Last year I also bought that 36243 and the recomended smoke unit. But, I do not installed at all...

Right now I'm over the wall because of those conflicting informations... Really don't now if I do the trick of change/resolder the wires on the decoder to make the on/off feature available, or install the smoke unit as recomended in the 'aways on' mode.

I liked/agreed with the information you received from Anders, but that statement conflicts directly with that one in the booklet.
(as also described here: )
https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/m496567-Problem-while-installing-smoke-unit-on-36243#post496567

The loco still without the smoke unit anyway. I'm really not sure if I should go left or right...

Cheers,

Walter
Offline skeeterbuck  
#89 Posted : 15 June 2016 16:39:05(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Thank you Chuck. I'll try it soon. I also recently bought the above BR 64:) (Marklin 39644)

In this thread we discussed "Smoke unit can not be switched off on 36243". I had asked a question if it is safe for smoke unit to run without liquid?

Anders, shop owner of Hobbycenter.se in Gothenberg, answered this way. I found this answer quite convincing. What do you think?

I can't comment in reference to the 36243 as I don't own that particular engine but I kinda doubt that the smoke unit stops working when the unit runs out of fluid. When I have a engine that I done a conversion to digital or sound, I'll test the smoke unit by placing my finger on top of the empty smoke unit while the function is activated. The center tube in the smoke unit will get hot to the touch very quickly. If the smoke unit needed fluid to complete the circuit
it shouldn't get hot, but in fact it does. I think that the units can be activated without fluid in them and be OK. The design of the Seuthe units currently being recommended by Marklin for digital is the old design originally designed for analog operation. In analog operation the unit works all the time but varies the smoke output with the amount of voltage applied to the track to run the locomotive. Granted, in analog operation when the engine was stopped or operating slowly the voltage to the track would be low enough to not harm the unit. But remember these units were originally designed for children playing with toy trains. I would think it would not be uncommon for a child to run the engine at higher speeds to flat out full throttle. (12 to 16-18 volts) Add to that a child is not going to be diligent to add more smoke fluid exactly when the unit run out of fluid. Also, when they would run out of fluid completely (the bottle was empty), did that mean that they couldn't run their engine at all until they went back to the hobby shop or toy store to get more? Not very likely scenarios to my way of thinking. Unsure Keep in mind that the older Marklin were build like tanks and made to run for many, many years with minimum maintenance. (lightly oiled, brushes & tires) If the Seuthe smoke units didn't hold up to the use (abuse) I doubt if Marklin would have even have used them to start with.

I have almost all steam locos in my collection and any that can be made to smoke do. I use the smoke feature most of the time when I run them and don't stop to reload the fluid or turn off the function when they stop smoking (out of fluid). I personally have never had a smoke unit burn out. Maybe I've just been lucky but i really doubt it. Wink

I say don't worry about the unit just run your loco and enjoy it. ThumpUp

Chuck
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline H0  
#90 Posted : 15 June 2016 19:06:56(UTC)
H0

The smoke liquid acts as a cooling agent. When the smoke fluid evaporates, the write inside the smoke generator will become hotter.

The wire lasts until it burns through. You can park the loco on a siding where you can turn power off when the loco is not in use.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage