Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dominator  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2015 00:33:24(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Has anyone else out there had a problem with the paint coming of their original E 103 Loco. I bought this when I was a teenager from the Lamp House, in Manners st Wellington back in the sixties. It had obviously [ well not at the time by a gullible young fella ] been part of a starter set that they has burglarised to sell the stuff separately. The paint has been slowly getting worse over the years. I was able to touch up the silver roof, but the cancer is creeping further now. There must be a lot doing this. I heard that the plastic used was the problem. IU wonder if Marklin would be convinced to supply replacements for them I like the single row of ventilators on this particular model.

Dominator
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 28 August 2015 07:58:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if Marklin would be convinced to supply replacements for them I like the single row of ventilators on this particular model.
The current version of the E 03 is made of metal. They have so many of them, they even sell 'em.

There are a few old models where the paint comes off easily. I never heard of replacements from Märklin (free or paid).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2015 09:00:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Tom, is it correct to assume the current metal housings do not have 2 holes on the top near the pantographs to secure it to the frame ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 28 August 2015 10:04:08(UTC)
H0

The first metal housings had two holes, but I don't know if they fit on the old frames.
The current metal housings no longer have these holes.

I'd get a complete new loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark_1602  
#5 Posted : 28 August 2015 10:34:44(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Has anyone else out there had a problem with the paint coming of their original E 103 Loco. I bought this when I was a teenager from the Lamp House, in Manners st Wellington back in the sixties. ... I heard that the plastic used was the problem.

Dominator

Hi,

There are other examples of plastic locomotives from the 1960s that had the same problem. One example is the 3069, the Belgian version of the V60. I have a first version that is still intact and original, but that was pretty hard to get hold of and rather expensive. Most 3069 that are sold on Ebay don't look very good, and the printed road numbers have usually faded as well, at least on one side (due to the contact with the styrofoam inset).

I have a number of metal locomotives from the 1960s without any damage to the paint coat, so that problem must be due to the plastic.

Best regards,
Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
Offline Nigel Packer  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2015 11:36:37(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Has anyone else out there had a problem with the paint coming of their original E 103 Loco.

Dominator

It's almost impossible to find an early 3053 without the paint flaking off. I'm not sure whether it was the plastic technology or the paint technology of the 1960s which is to blame for this (or it could be both).

The main problems with these locos are unfortunate design decisions. First of all, the plastic of the body is black, so any fault in the silver or cream paint will be very obvious. Secondly, the body fixing by two screws through the top into brackets on the chassis is very poor. Because the plastic flexes easily, even slightly over-tightening the screws will cause the paint to crack, and then flake off around the screw hole. The roof is silver, and the screws were painted silver, so any careless use of a screwdriver will damage the look of the screws too.

The later (Hobby) versions of the 3053 (1990 onwards) had the body moulded in cream plastic, the same colour as the paint, so they don't suffer so badly. But they were a cheaper model, and the roof is not painted silver but cream, the same as the rest of the body. And it's the version with two rows of side vents, so it's not the same as the early 3053s.

The most recent metal-bodied versions of the 103, with the hidden screws, are obviously the best Märklin models of this loco, but I feel they lack a certain indefinable charm that the locos from the 60s have.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Nigel Packer
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2015 01:01:29(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
One day I will want to fix this. [ like tomorrow ] Are there any recommendations as to what paint will work here. I think putting the right thickness spacer under the top where the screws go my help the problem where the top bends. This wasn't really a problem with mine until recently. No I just have to look at it and the paint comes away.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 29 August 2015 03:51:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I did some repairs on some old die-cast models using Tamiya Acrylic Paint. I don't know if they still make that brand. I also redid the roof on my 4099 observation coach, which looked decent after.

Regards

Mike C
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 29 August 2015 22:03:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
One day I will want to fix this. [ like tomorrow ] Are there any recommendations as to what paint will work here. I think putting the right thickness spacer under the top where the screws go my help the problem where the top bends. This wasn't really a problem with mine until recently. No I just have to look at it and the paint comes away.

I suspect that what is required is an etch primer as the first coat on the plastic. This etches the surface and roughens it slightly, allowing the paint to key into it.

It is a technique commonly used when painting metal, for the same reason, to stop the paint peeling off.

I suspect that the original painting is a single layer of paint, rather than multiple layers, to keep the production cost down, which is why the surface is so smooth and the paint flakes off.
Offline Janne75  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2015 16:31:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I have the oldest version 3053 of DB E 03 and 3069 first version. When I handle these I'm extra careful as they are both still in very good condition. Also old Märklin 3001 and 3002 E 63 locos have the same problem with the paint in their plastic bodies. 3053 is however the extreme bad model in this "symptom" and the paint is coming off very easily.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.