Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Token  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2015 15:09:40(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Having completed a beautiful soldering job, converting analog to digital, I made one careless mistake which resulted in an ominous plume of charcoal smoke, rising out of my 60946 decoder. Scared

Can anyone advise if it is possible to replace the decoder unit only or do I have to buy the whole set again?

regards,

Michael.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2015 19:10:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Michael,

These decoders are discontinued items. The 60946 currently sells for around € 50, the 60940 for around € 40 (incl. VAT).
If you do not use AUX3 and AUX4 in that loco, the 60940 can be used as a replacement.

When you buy another 60946, maybe you can sell the board. Or use it for another loco, maybe with an ESU decoder (comes without board).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2015 19:14:50(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
Having completed a beautiful soldering job, converting analog to digital, I made one careless mistake which resulted in an ominous plume of charcoal smoke, rising out of my 60946 decoder. Scared

Can anyone advise if it is possible to replace the decoder unit only or do I have to buy the whole set again?

regards,

Michael.

What exactly did you do mistake?

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Token  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2015 03:28:01(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Thanks for the heads up. I stupidly reversed the decoder when placing it on the pins without realising it - lack of attention. Hopefully I have only fried the decoder and not the board as well?

If so, will I be able to buy an ESU decoder without the rest of the bits as indicated by Tom? Can anyone advise the part number? I was trying to install a sound decoder for diesel (hence 60946).

Thanks and regards,

Michael.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 August 2015 07:08:43(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Token Go to Quoted Post
If so, will I be able to buy an ESU decoder without the rest of the bits as indicated by Tom?
Only if you neither use AUX3 nor AUX4. ESU Sound decoders without board are more expensive then Märklin decoders with board. If you want sound, this won't be cheaper.

Warning for all (yep, we had this before): when you install the decoder the wrong way around there will be a small gap between decoder and board. Do not apply power if there is a small, uneven gap!
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2015 08:22:22(UTC)
Goofy

There should be warning,about how to install decoder correct way and incorrect.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 22 August 2015 09:32:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
There should be warning,about how to install decoder correct way and incorrect.
There is such a warning in the manual.

This would not happen if the hole for the "index pin" (the missing pin) was completely filled.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0